Driving In Sport Mode

malibu

Curious to know if any forum members use sport mode frequently on the road for normal day to day driving. I tend to flick it on for a short while and then switch it off again if just cruising. Am probably incorrect in believing that it could get 'lazy' if not driven hard all the time in sport mode so tend to only use sport mode for aggresive quick driving. Comments will be appreciated.

I am much the same.

Most of the time I use my ISF as a sports salon, ie just enjoying the beauty of the vehicle.

It is also a bit too aggressive in traffic for sports mode.

Then when in the right road conditions you can turn it on and enjoy the ride.

As I have a 2010 with the sport button low on the dash, I use it only when I want to drive agressive.

If I had a 2011 with the sport on the steering wheel I am sure I would feel the need to push the button more often :D

The low position of the button just feels abnormal to push regularly.

Sport mode is excellent. I tend to flick it on and off (having it on the steering wheel does help) like last night when stuck behind a truck coming on to an on ramp to a freeway and then the on ramp broke into two lanes so push sport button, indicate into right lane, drop right foot and oh my goodness......My previous car was an Audi and sport mode on that was impossible to live with because it effectively kept the car bouncing up around the top of the rev range which yes meant it was in the power band at all times but made driving much jerkier and no doubt fuel usage much higher. The Lexus set up seems far more user friendly.

im sure you guys are all aware of the sports mode function right??

it only sharpens up on throttle response. kinda like having a throttle controller and putting it on the most sensitive setting

it only sharpens up on throttle response. kinda like having a throttle controller and putting it on the most sensitive setting

I'm no expert but I think it is a little more comprehensive than that, in addition to the change in the accelerator change I believe it might also change the changing points and swiftness of the shifts. From

I'm no expert but I think it is a little more comprehensive than that, in addition to the change in the accelerator change I believe it might also change the changing points and swiftness of the shifts. From

our cars do not have a techy sports mode like the M3's I drive system

it's a very simple car and it works bloody brilliantly

you might feel that it changes the shift points due to the throttle not being open 100% all the time when you floor it with sports mode not being on

once sports mode is engaged it allows the throttle to be open as much wider than when it's not in sports mode

so the transmission ecu detects and shifts the gears through throttle input so the gear changes may vary between sports and non sports mode

Here is something I found on what Sport mode does.

"Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system provides precise management for EPS, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), traction control (TRAC), the ABS system, Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) and engine torque (via the electronically controlled throttle), and steering assist.

By selecting Sport mode, VDIM allows higher dynamic thresholds before intervening and alters steering assist to increase steering feel."

Agree with the comments that the throttle response in Sport mode is too aggressive for heavy traffic and I guess that is why you can de-select it when required.

our cars do not have a techy sports mode like the M3's I drive system

it's a very simple car and it works bloody brilliantly

you might feel that it changes the shift points due to the throttle not being open 100% all the time when you floor it with sports mode not being on

once sports mode is engaged it allows the throttle to be open as much wider than when it's not in sports mode

so the transmission ecu detects and shifts the gears through throttle input so the gear changes may vary between sports and non sports mode

You have to be joking. ;)

When you drive the car in normal mode the shift is smooth and slack but as soon as you select Sport, even on light throttle the gear changes are swift and shape, night and day. Tractional control and stability control thresholds are extended etc etc

Yes, not like the M3 (not variable and we don't have the adjustable shocks) but I am sure the SPORTS changes more than the throttle modulation.

It has nothing to do with 100% throttle it is the ratio of the peddle to the throttle on the engine, both normal and sport will give you 100% throttle if you floor it. It is just how much throttle movement is required for various % of engine throttle.

Hey guys,

I've also felt it stiffen up the steering feel .. Even just a touch.. But mostly just sharpens up the shifts, like in normal mode, it flares the gear change , but in sport it's like its dumping the clutch!

Plus true it's like it's running a throttle controller.

Try turning off the VDIM all together and take it for a blat... You will see just how much the VDIM actually does!

Richie

am i getting sumthing wrong here?

Manual mode sharpens up the gearbox (making it into a full manual)

i'v never felt the gearbox sharpen up with just the sports mode button

our gearbox's are not that complicated its either manual mode or auto mode

I think your right, it's either manual or auto mode.. I know auto is a tad boring,, manual mode, sport mode , VDIM off, you can bake 3rd gear...can't wait till headers are available!

Sport mode is def like a throttle controller , and it sharpens up the steering a touch...of course when u stopped or at walking pace it's very light for parking... But at speed you can def feel it.

Hmm ... whaddaya know? Here's an IS F review with an unusually detailed description of what happens in Normal vs Sport mode, M versus D modes, and combinations of the driving and shifter modes:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2008-lexus-is-f-ar18761.html

"... a Sport mode switch on the dashboard allows the driver to select from among Normal, Sport and Snow driving modes. In Sport mode, the VDIM system allows higher dynamic thresholds before intervening, alters steering assist to increase steering weight, and throttle response is sharpened. With the transmission in D mode, gears are held longer in response to throttle input."

Looks like there's no difference in gear changes when driving in M mode and toggling the Sport mode on or off, but RichieISF nailed it in his last post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Old thread i know but just want to confirm as ive read conflicting opinions about Sport mode (button pressed) and driving in manual mode (with the gear selector or paddles)

Im aware in sports mode, the throttle response is more responsive as well as the steering, it holds the gears for longer etc.  

What im curious about is when driving in sport mode, do the gears change as agressive/precise etc in manual mode. i.e. I know in Auto mode, when i hit the sport button and press the pedal, its obvious how much more the throttle response has changed.  Although when i drive in manual with the paddles, as i have full control, i sometimes feel like i can notice the difference in how responsive the throttle is in sport mode but sometimes with sport off, i feel the throttle is just as agressive.

A few posts ive read suggest when driving in manual mode, sport mode or normal results in the same throttle dynamics.  Other posts say in sports mode, the throttle is much more agressive even when driving manual.  Cant find this kind of reference in the manaul etc.

Also do you guys notice a big difference when driving spiritedly with the air con on or off or no difference at all.  With my WRX i felt the aircon off was a big difference but with our the 5L, i sometimes feel it doesnt but can just a bit???  Curious what you all think?

Hi guys,

New the forum and the ISF. I Just picked up a black 2012 ISF and really love it!! Has JoeZ Exhaust and KW V3's.

To me the in Sports mode there seems to be more urgency with the changes but again I prob need more seat time before I weigh in on this.  

Also can someone confirm if infact you can disengage the VDIM programs completely? If so what is the process to do this?

Cheers,

Jamie 

• 4 weeks later...

Rarely go on sports mode nowadays, just planting the foot down and going WOT for a few seconds seems to drop the remaining kms by about 3km each time lol... 

On 13/01/2017 at 8:59 AM, JLL111 said:

Thanks Bullit,

I know how to turn off TC etc as you have mentioned above but have heard the 'pedal dance" can disengage the VDIM even more? Is this correct? 

depends on the year of the car. Newer ones 2010 onwards just need the long press (5 seconds or thereabouts) on the Vsc button and the TC & ABS both are switched off.

A short press also works, but re-engages both systems once the car reaches 20/25 kph.