Hi guys,

I just came back from a Lexus dealer and was told about a new 2011 IS250 X, not the previous 2007-2008 X edition, an all new one.

From what I remember, it comes (In addition from the prestige + emv ):

- Sports Pedal

- Red leather or red stitching on the leather (cant really remember)

- 18inch alloys from the Sports luxury

- Moon roof is an optional extra

There's more options but I don't really remember, Lexus Australia hasn't release any details about it as of yet but will soon as the first X edition only came in today. Just letting the members know so they don't head off and buy a prestige only to be shocked with the release of the new 'X' editions.

I know that the GS 300X is basically a tactic to sell all the current GS models left to make room for the recently announced update. Does that mean we are to expect a vastly different IS sometime soon?

I'm at the dealership now and this is the ad:

From $59,900 Drive Away.

Special Edition IS 250 X Includes:

18" Sports Luxury Alloys

Rear Lip Spoiler

Black Semi Analine Leather, Red Stitching/Perforations

Sports Pedals

Card Key

Parking Sonar (Clearance and Reversing)

Metal Scuff Plate

X Badging

I know that the GS 300X is basically a tactic to sell all the current GS models left to make room for the recently announced update. Does that mean we are to expect a vastly different IS sometime soon?

I would assume so, the current IS has been in production since late 05', maybe a new one would be introduced sometime during 2012... Lexus keeps a pretty low profile about new models.

Hi s.gregory,

There is also an RX350 X only days away as well. So Lexus is doing GS/IS/RX in the X special edition. The RX is only just over 2 years into roughly a seven year model life.

The new IS will be next after the new GS. Most likely early 2013.....possibly late 2012.

Nobody really knows what features the 2013 IS will have, so your decision will not be based on a feature comparison, but what you normally look for in a car:

- Are you the kind of person that will pay full price for a just-released new shape model (or will you wait as long as late 2013 for a demonstrator)?

- The features in the 250 X are great value, but do they interest you?

- Do you prefer cosmetic or engine enhancements? If the latter, perhaps you can now get the 250 Prestige for thousands less than $59K?

- Are you looking at the Sport Luxury model? My opinion is to bargain hard if you are, or wait till the next model ... What were unique features worth paying for in 2005 iare becoming standard feature in mainstream cars nowadays (e.g. AFS on an i45).

• 2 weeks later...

Have just placed an order for a IS250F-Sport. Decided on this model due to heavy discounting, with emergence of the X-badge. Btw if you search hard enough (ie. car broker, I use http://www.aussiecarbrokers.com.au/), a X-badge can be had for $56k Driveaway in VIC.

If you shop, you will most times get a better deal yourself than from a car broker due to the fee that most of them charge the dealer.

Thanks.

I doubt I could, and I've tried. $57k for my F-Sport, and it's coming in from Sydney.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I've ordered my IS250X just before the end of the promo period. Pretty good value. All the extra features listed in this forum also ties in with what I've been shown by the dealer. Very grateful that these discussion have played such an important role in my decision making. I've gotten mine for $56,000. Best money I've spent this year. This is my 3rd Lexus, quality has been impeccable, even with my previous IS200 & my current IS200 Sports.

Has anyone had the experience of installing tow bars on an IS250X with rear parking sensors? I read somewhere in the forums that this sets off these sensors incorrectly? I'm thinking about using the tow bar to hitch up bikes. Or is there a better way? Am thinking that roof racks may be the way to go but I'm got a pre-existing back injury and may need to preclude this option.

Any idea what's a scuff plate? It's listed in the IS250 but have no idea what it is.

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hi HJC

Good to know you've found the discussion useful! $56k was what I was quoted by the car broker for the X, but I decided on F-Sport at a grand more. I'll be taking delivery next mth (got alternate transport at the mo).

On the parking sensors, I'm wondering if you can ask the Dealer whether it can be manually disabled, after all yr X is equipped with a Reverse camera. imho the tow bar on its own shouldn't interfere with the sensor, but mounting a bicycle or 2 certainly would.

A scuff plate aka kick plate is that extra flat panel affixed to the door sill, ostensibly to protect from scratching (from shoe heels) the plastic on entering/exiting, but actually it's just eye candy.

Whitenite

Thanks for the feedback.

Disabling sensors might be an option. Another idea may be to get the sensors positioned further apart. I would imagine these sensors are merely optically-based proximity sensors, similar to those used in manufacturing lines. It must merely detect an object crossing its pathway by a pre-determine distance. A tow bar may do exactly that but by spreading them further apart, we may potentially be able to benefit from the sensor's function and still have a tow bar.

Or I can always use my pre-existing bike frame I purchased for my IS200 which apparently can also be used on the IS250X.

$57k for the F Sport is good value. I was initially was quoted $59k by the daealer for just the Prestige before getting a vehicle purchaser to negotiate on my behalf. He didn't do too badly and scored $56k but with an IS250X.

Rgs