Subaru Saddens Me

IS350F

Sorry for grammar and how much text but inhale to

ok guys quick story kinda, i got a Libs 2.5i early 2010 its the pre face lift version, i looked after it babyed the car, checked oil consumption every 2k and did all the services, around the 20k kms i was coming back and got a engine warning light, rand dealer they said in 48hours it will self correct, it did, then in another 2k kms i get another engine warning light, in the mean time still checking oil levels, again ring they say it shuld self correct again, off i keep going then about 1k kms i heard a nocking noise and took it in right away to my local dealer and they take it in for a service to their surprise they find that i had done a big end bearing???? i asked what would cause this they tell me no oil, ok where is the oil, they tell me its gone, i said wtf i check it every 2k kms and it always showed, they under warranty replace the bottom end and part of the to end, and they said i had to run the motor in again, all good off i go, did a oil consumption test so for the next 6k kms i took the car in every 2k kms and they pull the oil out replace it and check the usage, the test came back 100000000% of no excuse oil usage, off i go again, still checkn oil every 2k kms as usual, i had a couple of times when checking that it would not bring back any oil (i rang local dealer and they tell me to drive 1 hour home with what i was believing of having no oil so they can check for me) and babying the motor in again, all was fin until another 10k to 11kkms when i get another knocking noise, i park it at home ring my local dealer and tell them again, between the last replacement and the new knocking noise the car was in for a scheduled service, they again tell me that the big end bearing has gone again, again i say WTF but this time alot louder and i get alot more meaner this time (using alot of swear words and anger), they again pull the motor out and send parts of it this way that away get the head guy for service to come and check the car and the motor, they deam it as warranty issue and that brings me to today, i got a call yesterday well i called then and abused them of not calling me in 2 weeks with a update and say that its being replaced again, and i will again have to baby it, i am asking any of yous guys out there what should i do, im only 22 years old and this was my first car of some what value $37k, should i go to fair trading and see what i can do as a consumer (i work in retail so i know the consumer rights) i simply have lost all faith in Subaru and my car i do not want it back and have the hassle of going through all this again, first time it happened i was left to fend for my self with no leaner car second time i arced up and was told no loaner car for a month, got my father involved and i was given a 2011 outback with in 48 hours [(have to love Italian fathers)if i had a family i so would buy one they are so comfortable and have power ] they have not assured me that this will not happen again, the problem i face know is when i go to sell which is as soon as i get it back u only will have to do a revs check and to see that the engine number has changed now three times :( this will lose me millions in resale, it only has 42k kms on the clock and is in mint condition, no scratches garaged every day/night and washed for 2 hours every 4 days.

please some one advise what direction i should take...... also sorry for spelling mistakes and grammer kinda typing fast

That's very unfortunate.

Arguably, it hasn't been fixed in a "reasonable amount of time". For cars bought after 1 January, 2011, the consumer law is quite clear: you have the right to choose what you get: a replacement (the whole car), refund or compensation. For cars bought before then, well ... I haven't found anything definitive on the NSW Fair Trading Website. You certainly have the right to raise the issue and get them to mediate a resolution, but I don't know what the likely outcome will be.

Personally, I'm leaning towards giving Subaru another chance. Others might disagree with me, and that's fine (many people, including my wife, put up with much less). But either way, you should at least make a phone call to Fair Trading and find out whether they agree that this is a "major" problem that has taken more than a "reasonable amount of time", and what you're likely to be entitled to either now or in the future, should you retain the car and problems happen later. You could perhaps talk over some possible scenarios with them, and see if they agree. For example, if you no longer want the car, is it okay to demand the dealer to buy the car back at normal trade-in value, as if there were no problems with the engine? (You'd still get less money than if the first engine was perfect and you sold the car privately, but at least you'll be rid of the problem.) I'm hoping that talking to Fair Trading will at least give you some certainty, confidence if you demand restitution and - hopefully - peace of mind. Good luck.

That's very unfortunate.

Arguably, it hasn't been fixed in a "reasonable amount of time". For cars bought after 1 January, 2011, the consumer law is quite clear: you have the right to choose what you get: a replacement (the whole car), refund or compensation. For cars bought before then, well ... I haven't found anything definitive on the NSW Fair Trading Website. You certainly have the right to raise the issue and get them to mediate a resolution, but I don't know what the likely outcome will be.

Personally, I'm leaning towards giving Subaru another chance. Others might disagree with me, and that's fine (many people, including my wife, put up with much less). But either way, you should at least make a phone call to Fair Trading and find out whether they agree that this is a "major" problem that has taken more than a "reasonable amount of time", and what you're likely to be entitled to either now or in the future, should you retain the car and problems happen later. You could perhaps talk over some possible scenarios with them, and see if they agree. For example, if you no longer want the car, is it okay to demand the dealer to buy the car back at normal trade-in value, as if there were no problems with the engine? (You'd still get less money than if the first engine was perfect and you sold the car privately, but at least you'll be rid of the problem.) I'm hoping that talking to Fair Trading will at least give you some certainty, confidence if you demand restitution and - hopefully - peace of mind. Good luck.

I just want the car sold or gone so I can buy a Lexus already it's the only thing holding me back ATM :(

Oh. In that case, talk to Fair Trading and see whether they think getting a refund (or, failing that, getting a trade-in at its typical trade-in value) is a reasonable course of action that you can pursue. Who knows, they may answer, "Yes, definitely," based on the consumer law and their experience with lemon cars. Or, they may say, "It may require some mediation;" or they may say, "No, you'll have to endure worse before it comes to that." Hopefully, it's the first answer; but you won't know unless you try. Remember, you're not asking Fair Trading to step in for you - they may want you to approach the Subaru dealer first, and only escalate to Fair Trading if they say no. You're just asking Fair Trading what your chances are of getting your money back without too much argument.

Just my thoughts ... I have no experience whatsoever with talking to Fair Trading myself.