2013 Lexus Is Rumour Mill

Lexus Nerd

While Lexus marketers are now focusing their efforts on the New Generation GS, some of us are wondering what the third generation IS will look like. We have good advice from one of our forum members that it's likely to be released in 2013, or late 2012 at the earliest. We can all be sure it will have the spindle grill featured in the MY13 GS. Apart from that, that's all I believe we can be certain of.

It's been said that the new IS will be based on the Toyota FT-86 Concept - specifically, a stretched version of the concept car: http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/2014-lexus-is This would explain the seven-plus-year gap between IS models, with the delay in the new-shape IS being delayed until after the FT-86 is fully developed.

Other sources suggest that it will be shorter version of the New Generation GS platform: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/spy-shots-next-generation-lexus-is/

So what have you heard about the next IS? Will it have all the same features as the New Generation GS - HIDs, driver alertness monitor, blind spot display, massive LCD, etc.? Will the engine choices be the same, or will we see new innovations (or catch-ups with the competition) like turbo/supercharged hybrids? If the latest innovatons trickle down from Lexus flagship vehicles, what will we see adopted from the LFA, current model IS F and LS models? Post your rumours and trumours here!

Just on the timing on the new model release, my tip is late 2013. The reason I say this, is look back through Lexus new model/major update releases. The majority (not all), of model releases from Lexus seem to be in the second half of the calendar year. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong (I know the RX and CT have both been first-half releases), but for memory all other releases have been 2nd half. If there was a next-gen IS due out in just 9-10 months from now, one would think there would be far more press/media around it by now, even spy pics etc.

I also expect it to get some of its styling cues off the current Toyota FT-86 concept, whereas the production Toyota/Subaru FT-86 will be scaled back considerably on the aggressive styling, the new IS will more resemble the concept. That's not to say that Toyota are still in the back pocket of Lexus but it appears comments made by TMC representatives suggest the new IS will be a long wheelbase version of the FT-86.

So my wild, 'out-there' tip is the new IS will be out in Sep-Oct 2013, with styling based on the FT-86 concept with the equipment list in the 'entry level', probably not too dissimilar to what is offered in the current Sports Luxury.

Not Lexus IS

and NOT a rumour

RX270 not too far away!

Hmm ... I understand there's a slew of new models planned by Lexus over the next two years, so I might need to start a new thread.

For now, though ...

What's the target market for an RX270? A 2.7L engine would be rather small for an SUV unless ....

ahhh, is this a smaller model to compete with the likes of the X1?

Not Lexus IS

and NOT a rumour

RX270 not too far away!

Hmm ... I understand there's a slew of new models planned by Lexus over the next two years, so I might need to start a new thread.

For now, though ...

What's the target market for an RX270? A 2.7L engine would be rather small for an SUV unless ....

ahhh, is this a smaller model to compete with the likes of the X1?

It should have a thumping v8 if its going to look like an estate car.

RXF500E (F 5L estate)

Do they need a hand designing it. Ill show them what they need . . . . . laugh.gif

RX450 + ISF = ISFE

ISF RUNNING GEAR WITH THE STYLING OF AN RX AND AND ISF COMBINE TO CREATE A MONSTER POWERFULL ESTATE CAR.

ISFE.jpg

Obviously there is some refining to do both in design and in photoshop but this is the idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest rumours:

- Three models to be released - IS250, IS350, IS300h

- IS250 and IS350 will have same engines as today, but mated with eight-speed transmission

- Release in the first half of 2013 (although the new GS ad, to be aired during the Super Bowl, suggests that it should be unveiled this year)

- Wagon/Estate Car shape to be available

Can't wait for this!

Any sources for the rumors?

I'm hoping this will be released before or around the same time that my IS350 will be due to be replaced - mid next year.

Can't wait for this!

Any sources for the rumors?

I'm hoping this will be released before or around the same time that my IS350 will be due to be replaced - mid next year.

The article which mentions the three models and eight-speed gearbox is a Taiwanese one. Here's a (poor) English translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjp.autonet.com.tw%2Fcgi-bin%2Ffile_view.cgi%3Fb1120890L5001

Actually, this article says the release will be "after the second quarter" of 2013. I don't remember where I read it would be in the first half of 2013 ... maybe wishful thinking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lexus Australia's Peter Evans has been quoted by Faifax News as saying that Lexus 'would launch a new-generation version of its IS sedan next year.

'"Based on what I've seen, [the new IS] will be a bit more revolutionary than the 3-Series," he says. "When you're a challenger brand and you're [ranked] number four [in sales], you can't afford to be evolutionary."

'The debut of the IS will follow the global reveal of the next-generation LS flagship limousine at September's Frankfurt motor show ...'

It may also be worth mentioning to readers - who may be future Lexus small sedan buyers - that it is also rumoured that the recently revealed ES model may make a comeback in Australia.

If the new GS and recently revealed ES is anything to go by, I'll sign an order now for a 350 in F Sport specification!

Can't wait to see this car released!

• 2 months later...

Definitive Information on the next generation IS is still scant. There's talk about it being more "sporty", given the Lexus ES is expected to meet the market segment for comfort. But I take that with a grain of salt: if Lexus Australia can't manage to get approval to import the ES, then they'll certainly offer a spec for the IS that is aimed at the comfort segment.

I did read, however, that the new IS dash will "take inspiration from" the LFA.