Power Loss And Fuel Efficiency?

Hi guys,

I'm not someone who knows much (if any) about mechanics so hopefully this won't end up to be a very stupid question.

Anyway, I got my car not that long ago, and the first thing I noticed is that it has from stand still (and with my relatively light foot), the car goes into second gear pretty early (around 1-1.5 k RPM), at which it has quite a kick to it (i.e. i can notice a lot of acceleration when it gets past first gear, and it gears up quite rapidly).

These days, the engine don't feel that impressive anymore. I definitely don't feel the car to be as 'torquy' as what I just described, and it's taking forever for the car to switch to second gear (at least 2.5k RPM), and doesn't feel as impressive as before. Also, fuel economy went from 8.9L/100km to 9.5L/100km, and a recent long drive to Magenta from Sydney (highway drive) only brought it down to 8.3L/100km (previous v-power tank) while I was expected something more close to 7.

A recent service at Good Year Auburn made changes such as:

- new tyres Good Year NCT5 from Micheline 'I-Don't-Know-What' (recently pumped at 35/38 psi).

- used Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 engine oil (not sure what previous owner used but they went to Lexus for service).

- new rear brake pads.

On top of that, I changed from using 7-Eleven 98Oct fuel to Shell V-Power.

What can mechanically happen that could have degraded power and efficiency? Isn't Shell V-Power the 'best' fuel out there? Does anyone get that second gear kick thing I mentioned, or is it just in my mind?

Thanks guys!

Does your car have the ECT (I think that's what it's called) button?

Thanks for your reply. By ECT, do you mean that "Eco" mode? If so, then yes, it's on and has always been on since I have had the car.

The fuel economy figures you are providing - are they:

( a ) an overall average (the display reads, 'AVG') that has NOT been reset since you bought the car

( b ) an overall average that you reset before various journeys

( c ) the figure for each tank of fuel ('TANK AVG')?

The fuel economy figures you are providing - are they:

( c ) the figure for each tank of fuel ('TANK AVG')?

I use tank average to get a nice comparison between how I drive. I understand that when you just come out of the pump, the tank average will reset and show a very high figure, but after a whole week of driving (and it has been like this for 2 tanks already), I'm pretty sure it's already a reasonably accurate average of how my car's burning fuel (or how I'm driving).

No changes to driving conditions... it's just a routined lifestyle going to work 5 days a week. Traffic has increased *slightly* but that won't explain why the car doesn't feel as powerful as before nor the 0.6L/100km increase.

Does anyone else use Castrol Edge Sport 5W30 and tell me how they're going?

Not sure if we have the same one, but having the ECT button on should have a "ECT Power" displayed on your dashboard. This (from what I've read online), holds the revs for a be longer before changing gears, so it could be the cause of higher fuel usage. What's eco mode?

Ah so it's entirely different to my car, disregard what I've been talking about then! (I've got ECT and a Snow mode...)

Have you tried switching to the PWR mode to see if it gives you the same response/performance you were used to? (I know you mentioned that you've always had it on eco, but worth a try I guess)

Also just a quick stab in the dark (and now I hope that I don't sound REALLY stupid)...

I came across a product called "Nulon Injector Cleaner". What would a dirty injector do to a car, and would this possibly solve my issue?

do a proper service not just oil and filter

ie throttle body clean airfilters etc

9.5L per hundred is still a very impressive number for fuel economy

The service done was the "Grade A" service from Good Year. I assume that's their major service there. I've never heard of 'throttle body' service. What exactly is that?

Ah so it's entirely different to my car, disregard what I've been talking about then! (I've got ECT and a Snow mode...)

Have you tried switching to the PWR mode to see if it gives you the same response/performance you were used to? (I know you mentioned that you've always had it on eco, but worth a try I guess)

Nop... same car as yours... I got mixed up with my mazda (my bad!) =P

ECT power on one end, snow on the other... the middle is the supposedly more economical mode, which is what I've been using.

what does the Grade A consist of??

We'll see soon-ish. Just emailed good year to find out. Does everyone here actually take their car back to lexus for service?

Nop... same car as yours... I got mixed up with my mazda (my bad!) =P

ECT power on one end, snow on the other... the middle is the supposedly more economical mode, which is what I've been using.

what does the Grade A consist of??

We'll see soon-ish. Just emailed good year to find out. Does everyone here actually take their car back to lexus for service?

for our regular cars like the RX350 and the IS350 yes

but for my ISF i dont as i use special oil and aftermarket brake pads etc

Hopefully nothing funky about my mechanic. How much does lexus charge for your IS350?

My friend takes his IS200 to a mechanic at Castle Hill. As long as you float around while he's performing the work and keep a brief eye on him, he does a pretty nice job. I'm thinking of trying him out next time.

Unfortunately, I got my car serviced on a saturday, and my mechanic was quite busy so I suspect he has been getting his other staff to do the work. That said, the shoddy junior planted a few fresh scratches on my rims with his power lug tugger while changing my tyres. Thinking of not going back there anymore, but I doubt that I can justify the cost of servicing at lexus. I have read from some people complaining them for billing parts that perhaps didn't really need swapped (e.g. re-gas for air conditioner when the car was less than a year old when the guy doesn't use it that much). Not sure what would happen if you insisted that they didn't do the extra bits and pieces (and therefore, not getting as much profit they initially anticipated), but I am slightly paranoid that they would do something similar to 'spit-on-your-burger', if you know what I mean.

well is350 has just got it's service for free

the rx350 cost around the average for 500-600

my ISF i only do the oil and filter from my mechanic

but it takes around 10L's so it cost just over 300

rest i do it myself but i do the occasional diff oil change and etc

Okay, looks like the so called Grade "A" service is just a standard oil change, oil filter change and general inspection around the vehicle.

I've ordered some spark plugs online and I'll probably have to take it back to the service centre to get the rest of the stuff done as well. Lucky my car hasn't reached 90k just yet...

Hopefully nothing funky about my mechanic. How much does lexus charge for your IS350?

My friend takes his IS200 to a mechanic at Castle Hill. As long as you float around while he's performing the work and keep a brief eye on him, he does a pretty nice job. I'm thinking of trying him out next time.

Unfortunately, I got my car serviced on a saturday, and my mechanic was quite busy so I suspect he has been getting his other staff to do the work. That said, the shoddy junior planted a few fresh scratches on my rims with his power lug tugger while changing my tyres. Thinking of not going back there anymore, but I doubt that I can justify the cost of servicing at lexus. I have read from some people complaining them for billing parts that perhaps didn't really need swapped (e.g. re-gas for air conditioner when the car was less than a year old when the guy doesn't use it that much). Not sure what would happen if you insisted that they didn't do the extra bits and pieces (and therefore, not getting as much profit they initially anticipated), but I am slightly paranoid that they would do something similar to 'spit-on-your-burger', if you know what I mean.

st87.

Im not sure if you know. Lexus of Chatswood Service Centre sponsors Australian Lexus Owners Club with discount serviving to ALOC members.

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10632

Contact Sid and tell him your part of the ALOC and you saw the discount servicing ad on the forum.

He will also be able to do diagnostics (Your local mechanic is limited to access to these things) to see if there is any glitches in your computer causing your power losses. He can reset software and make sure air fuel ratio etc etc etc is as it should be.

Good Luck

Chris

Also, how often do you guys replace the spark plug cables? Are they designed to run for the life of the car, or do we need to change them every now and then?

Also, how often do you guys replace the spark plug cables? Are they designed to run for the life of the car, or do we need to change them every now and then?

An is250 doesnt have spark plug cables.

Ok thanks =D

It was originally a question my uncle asked because back when he swapped spark plugs himself on a very old vehicle, apparently there was a cable needed replacement from time to time.