2006 Rx 350 Sat Nav

These questions have probably been asked before but i am new here as i only got my rx350 yesterday!

How do i make the sat nav work while driving?

How do i make dvd player work while driving?

How does sat nav update the rds etc?

Can i connect my iphone somehow to play music?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Emma :)

Hi Emma, welcome to the club.

> How do i make the sat nav work while driving? If you mean how can you enter a destination etc while the car is in motion - you can't. A lot of features are locked out as a "safety" measure (including a lot of phone features such as dialling a number while in motion).

> How do i make dvd player work while driving? See above - you can't watch a DVD while the vehicle is in motion -it's against the law as well as being dangerous.

>How does sat nav update the rds etc? You can buy an updated map DVD from your Lexus dealer or Sensis. Likely to set you back several hundred dollars, which is frankly outrageous. You may like to search the forums for a download which costs nothing. I don't condone stealing, but in this case I think Lexus and Sensis are stealing from us - you can buy a portable GPS including the same set of maps for a hundred bucks. If you do decide to get it from the dealer, don't let them charge you to install it - it's a two minute job. The navigation DVD is under the floor in the boot.

>Can i connect my iphone somehow to play music? You need an Ipod adapter which is somewhat expensive. I have a Vais in my car - cost about $200 off Ebay and I installed it myself - which does involve removing the nav unit and dismantling a number of panels. Lexus quoted me near enough a thousand dollars - not impressed!

Hope this helps - ask if you need any more details on any of these.

• 1 month later...

Hi Emma,

For connecting your iPhone to play music, try a tape deck adapter, I've found to be way better than an FM transmitter, they cost anywhere between $20 and $40 and you can install it yourself ;) The vaistech device Poisson mentioned is the best option as it integrates with the car's audio system, but is costlier and requires proper installation

something like this: http://store.apple.com/au/product/H1579ZM/A?fnode=46

your local car audio store should have them

cheers

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Try these people - they sell kits which are easy to install - http://indashpc.org/new/index.html I bought & installed a GROM kit which connects my IS300 stereo to my iPod and gives me bluetooth to connect my mobile. Cost less than $150, and took me about an hour to install.

You can get a switch installed to turn off the GPS receiver so you can use the touch screen to programme the GPS etc then switch it back off so the GPS will guide you. The switch will also allow you to watch the DVD while moving.......not that you should lol