Hi,

Im looking to get a new Lexus but having a hard time to decide which one of these three models to get.

They are :

1. IS350 special edition with moon-roof and 18 Alloy upgrade

2. IS350 Sport Luxury

3. GS250 Luxury

Any opinions would be great. Thank you.

Me personally, the GS250. But it comes down to what you are really after. If you are keen on a performance-weighted car, you'll have to go with the IS350 - in a straight line its nearly 3 seconds quicker to 100. But I feel the current special edition that is being promoted through the dealerships at the moment, doesn't seem a huge advantage price wise. Over time, the higher-spec models of any car (not just Lexus, but any make) will depreciate faster - but I'm sure that's hardly a main consideration at this stage! You'll probably find the standard level of gear on the entry-level GS is comparable to the top-spec IS anyhow.

You also need to bear in mind that the IS350 is based on a chassis, design and drivetrain that is 7 years old (shows how good it has stood up over that period - it still competes favourably with some of its German counterparts that have undergone 2 or sometimes 3 (in the case of Audi) major model updates over that time). As such, the IS range is due for a complete overhaul I believe next year (there is a rumour that the new 3rd-gen IS might have its world debut at the Motor Show in Sydney in October for it to hit dealerships in Q2 2013).

The GS250, whilst using the same engine as in the current 250 is a brand new vehicle - with lots more goodies as standard, and is a better ride, larger cabin and superb interior. It still goes ok (0-100kmh in low 8s - not fast enough for some, but would be for many). From what I've seen in the flesh, the $80k base GS rivals the 100-110k Germans in terms of equipment, refinement and finish.

So in summary, my choice - clearly the GS250, because its the car is essentially 7 years "fresher" than the IS. But if you really want some grunt on the road, the IS350 with 18"s will get you class-leading pace and handling - but it could be a obsolete model in under a year.

Don't be scared by the 2.5L in the GS. I've driven the both the new GS250 and GS350 around the track and they are both great cars.

The tuning on the GS250 makes the engine more responsive than the IS250 setup.

The GS will also be loaded with up-to-date features, whereas the IS will have to make do until the new generation is unveiled.

The IS will drop it's value far quicker than the GS, as it's at the end of the model cycle and the GS is only at the beginning.

add 7k go with gs350 luxury, u get newest chassis, technology, luxury & most value for money engine......

i just priced it up on lexus website and theres a 13k difference between luxury GS250 & GS350. Am i missing something?

add 7k go with gs350 luxury, u get newest chassis, technology, luxury & most value for money engine......

i just priced it up on lexus website and theres a 13k difference between luxury GS250 & GS350. Am i missing something?

yah.... add 7k is comparing gs250 with sunroof and gs350 without sunroof...basically the gs350 enhancement pkg gives lot more than gs250 enhancement pkg.... so ... if compare the basic models it is 13k different....