Spare Smart Key

Hello,

recently bought a 2007 is250 from dealer and it came with one remote. At the moment their attempting to track down the second set, or so they say. If that fails seems my alternatives are a replacement from the dealer or a used one from the U.S. Ive read some threads here about Hitech auto electical how they can programme the codes but have spoken to their receptionists three times in three days and each time they said they will call back but dont so im fed up with them. So questios are 1. Is there anyone else that can be recommended and 2. Im getting conflicting answers regarding reprogramming a remote that already has a code. Can a used remote be re programmed or do i need to buy a new remote.

Many thanks,

bob

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but I would like to share a current issue I have with my somewhat recent purchase, even though first Lexus, a 2012 RX 350 Prestige, the last production vehicle before the new facelift that has launched just recently in conjunction with the RX 270. The vehicle was purchased as an ex-demonstrator and who ever drove it as a Lexus company vehicle, lost the second key. Hence I was only given one key and it has been presently 4.5 weeks since my pick up date of the 10th August and I am still waiting for a replacement to be sent from Japan as far as I have been told by the service department.

Luckily I don't have to pay for the second key's replacement, but frankly I am not one bit amused that in the event should the second key appear at the dealership, I was advised to drive into the city just to waste half of my day out of the office just for them to reprogram the key with the vehicle. Unfortunately, Lexus despite being a franchise like McDonalds; operate independently and do not have any affiliations with each other. Which is why I would have expected Lexus, since they have an after care service program which I have been told is second to none; would at least given me another car to drive; or given me other options other than waste time and petrol just to redo the key.

$700 for one smart FOB key???? Is that right?

• 5 months later...

I paid something like $700 for a IS F fob in Australia. They are far cheaper overseas, but I couldn't find an F one. Like has been mentioned Lexus of Miami sell on eBay and send parts very quickly.

• 5 months later...

I just bought brand new Smart Key for 2005 GS300 with proper australian part number from this place.

www.partsouq.com

The part was here within 4 days. Now waiting for the cable to get it paired with the car DIY style.

This is probably the least expensive way you can go.

Highly recommend this vendor.

8990430322 TRANSMITTER Toyota 1 1 172.5
Item(s) Subtotal: 172.50$
Shipping & Handling (FedEx): 13.69$
Total for This Shipment: 186.19$

You can order the keycard key from Lexus of Miami Florida (yes you read right) and i think its $250 -$500 from them cant remember.

Seems theres massive price differences from lexus aust, to the US, shame the cars are left hand drive, imagine how much cheapers the actual cars are ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just the thread I've been looking for. A little confused about what keys will work where. Having a Japanese import I'll need one to suit. However it seems like different regions have different specs.

I'm after a spare smart fob/key. From the research I've done the smart cards will not work outside of the U.S, nor will the U.S spec fob. If they did work it would be easy to import one from a dealer over there for around $250 NZD, I've been in touch with Sewell (Lexus dealer in the U.S) directly and they've told me they get many returns from around the world and thier keys don't work on JDM cars.

Locally I'm looking at $660 NZD plus coding and cutting for a new fob & key. This is for the JDM Fob and Key that looks very similar to the others.

So, the next best I've found has been through Amayama, http://www.amayama.com/search/?q=89904-30341 $290 USD for a fob, plus another $70 for the key.

JDM part numbers: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_2006_LEXUS_IS250~350_GSE21-AETLH_6712.html

As about the part number 89904-30322 looks like it's cheaper ($170 USD from Amayama) and suits Aussie, NZ, Thailand, Singapore.

Also found this relating to the key 30322 part:

Keep in mind that several years ago some Lexus cars in Australia where customers complained of poor reception with keeless entry system underwent retrofitting to a different wireless frequency. The new remotes for the upgraded system will have different part number and look the same, but will also have a word HOLD next to the boot button. If you current remote have the word HOLD then the item sold in this auction will not register for your car.

So if the dealer tell you your car key part number is 89904-30322 and your current smart key does not have the word HOLD on it - you have a chance here to get a new remote for less that half of the dealer's price.

There are many different types of Smart Keys for different years and markets. You can see what fits what in here. Plug in your VIN and it will show the parts for your car. Pretty easy to work out even though it is in Russian.

http://shop.club-lexus.ru/

Once you get the remote, mating it to the car is easy. Some dealers may do that for free. Or you can get your own USB-OBDII cable for Lexus. It comes with a cracked copy of Techstream. This is the software the Lexus used to connect to our cars. Not only you can program the keys, but you also can see and delete codes if any, change custom settings, see raw data, perform tests, etc. Bloody good investment for a enthusiast owner for less than $40 delivered. Get it from ebay.

The text you quoted is from my ebay auction. I had to figure it out the hard way, ordering the correct part number quoted me by Lexus that at the end didn't fit. Trying to sell it to recover the costs.

I got a copy of the internal Lexus memo advising of the reprogramming to the new frequency. This is actually great news as the new correct part number is a an americal Smart key that could be had for less than $150, not to speak about occasional deals from private hands.

I checked out that Russian site and it's the same JDM part number that I suspected I'll be needing. And it's over $400 NZD!

You say you were trying to on sell the key that didn't work? By any chance do you still have it?

Ah right, I see now. Sorry, I'm an idiot... So you're selling the original NZ/Aussie fob. It all makes sense now!

I'm after the JDM fob, part number 89904-30341. Looking more likely that I'll have to suck it up and pay the $400ish

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, so i recently purchased a 2007 lexus is250 but only got 1 key.

I'm looking to get another key made.

My current key has the word "HOLD" printed on it.

So if im not mistaken would 89904-30270 be the part im looking for?

Thank you!

Not so quick.

Get the Lexus to give you the correct part number for the fob of your car. If they give the original australian market part number explain that your vehicle had some retrofitting done under warranty and there should be a new part number for the correct fob.

Sure, for 2007 it is most luckily will be the part number you asked about; however, it costs nothing to confirm and be certain.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,I recently upgraded to the RX 450 H from a RX330,vehicle i bought came with only 1 Smart Key.Unfortunately my partner "flicked" the smart fob without realizing so while enjoying a walk!!!! I've made a few inquiries as to replacing the smart key replacement,massive costs associated with this.Dealer states the identifyer ecu/proximity ecu has to be replaced etc.Checked local locksmith -with smart key prog capabilities and they are not sure if they can plug-in reprogram a spare set.Does anyone know if i acquire smart key replacement from US - maybe from previous posts lexus miami,and do i need to really replace the 2 ECU's or can the smart key be re-programmed ?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

There's so much info all over the net but hard to piece it all together. I too have a 2007 IS250 with only one fob/key and need a backup fob.

I've got a stack of questions that I'd love answered only if you're 100% certain of the answer...

1. In this thread there's talk of frequencies changing due to replacing of parts under warranty. What was the old and which is the new frequency?
  2. Is the only difference between the fobs the crystal and if so can't it be replaced?
  3. I have a remote with has the word HOLD on it, is this new or old?
  4. My crystal reads 31435, is this a 315Mhz transmitter/fob/SmartAccess?
  5. Given the above info what part number would I require?
  6. There's also talk of users using an OBDII tool to perform the programming themselves. Has anyone actually done this?
  7. Apparently the pairing between fob and car writes info to the fob, has anyone worked out how to clear this data to make old fobs new/blank again?

Basically there seems to be a lot of talk but nobody is coming forward with their good or bad news stories. I'd love to hear both sides so I can decide which path I take - Lexu$ or DIwhy did I

Thanks in advance

I've got a stack of questions that I'd love answered only if you're 100% certain of the answer...

You got one hell of the way to ask for free help. 100% in this world is only death and taxes. Everything else is very much depends...

Sorry I didn't mean to sound blunt but I've seen a few posts which I'm certain are inaccurate. The topic is confusing enough as is without members guessing or going off unproven perceptions.

So Sockeye, I believe you got a new fob and OBDII. How did you go with it?