Spare Smart Key

Reprogramming a new key with Techstream is easy - erasing an old used key is not. The cars computer has to be reset "reseeded" is the term used by the OBD II Techstream, in order to do this you need an authorisation code direct from Toyota so the only people that can do this is your local Lexus dealer (but even then they may refuse to re-pogram a used key, tbh they probably don't even know how).

Thanks for that useful info I CU2.

Have you personally added a new key?

If so where did you purchase it from?

What part would I need given the info I provided?

If I can't remove an old key/fob easily then will that old key continue to work if the previous owner finds it??

How many fobs can one car pair with?

I have a cheap ODBII tool but not Techstream, I presume I can get a torrent. If I can get a new key/fob for cheap then I'll consider doing it myself.

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

• 2 years later...

Lost one of your Smartkeys?  For an IS250 at least, you can buy a second-hand replacement for less than A$100 - try allkeyless llc on ebay. You can get it reprogrammed to work on your car - if you are around Melbourne try Alex at Galmier Locksmiths 0407022234.  Lexus dealers and Lexus Australia will tell you this can't be done - that each key is locked to the vehicle at the factory and cannot be reprogrammed.  They are simply lying, which is disgraceful behaviour for a company that provides such great vehicles and service. Negotiate a price for reprogramming ahead of time. There is less than two hours work involved in reprogramming the card and cutting a new hard key, and of course some special software is required.  

Thanks for the info John but unfortunately (for me) you're about a year too late. I paid approx $520 for a new smart key all done by Lexus of Melbourne as nobody could convince me that using a used fob was possible - I wasn't convinced and thought that it could be done but bit the bullet.

I'd understand if someone told me that there was some data written to the key/fob and it was a write-once chip but couldn't get the info I needed at the time and didn't want to risk losing or damaging the only smart key that I had.

For the sake of others in the same dilemma that I was I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had a used remote programmed to an IS250 ('07 - '14 era). Who did it? costs? etc. I'd be more interested to hear from others who did it themselves!

• 6 months later...

I was just quoted by Blackburn Lexus dealer the $3.5K - $5k range for a replacement key for Lexus is250 (2006) as I've lost my one and only copy. 

They said that the whole dashboard will need to be replaced and the key itself costs around $850. Also that locksmiths cannot do it anymore. But will try the locksmith quoted by John A

• 1 year later...

I was told from lexus it would be a grand for the key card cut and program and $850 for the fob .I got a brand new fob from the states For $220aus. Sci fleet kedron program it for free and a new Battery too :-)

• 3 months later...

There are a number of locksmiths that can program Lexus keys. You just need to ask around. To be honest, if it were like my IS200 I'd just get another dumb key for emergency purposes.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, rakddon said:

If anyone needs a spare key (supply, cut and programmed) let me know as I know a guy here in Sydney.

Otherwise if your interstate he can supply and cut but you will need to program it yourself. 

I might need one and live just north of Sydney.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, rakddon said:

If anyone needs a spare key (supply, cut and programmed) let me know as I know a guy here in Sydney.

Otherwise if your interstate he can supply and cut but you will need to program it yourself. 

Hi @rakddon, can you please send me the contact details of that guy? Need a second key.

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 4:57 AM, Gen03 said:

I was told from lexus it would be a grand for the key card cut and program and $850 for the fob .I got a brand new fob from the states For $220aus. Sci fleet kedron program it for free and a new Battery too :-)

Have you ever tried any lock expert who offers 24 hour locksmith services, they can surely cut and program it at a good cost.

• 4 weeks later...