Hi Guys,

I haven't heard anything from Danny's (ilv1004s) yet. So I'm quite happy to start a Group Buy post in the trading section to make it official.

The U.S supplier has given me the best price of $453 USD landed at Sydney airport (Custom Cleared).

Now this price has included:

1. USD $257.4 (45% Bulk Purchase Discount from RRP: $468 USD)

2. USD $1366 Air Cargo freight for a pallet of 10 Mid-pipes.

3. 5% Import Duty by the Australian Custom

4. 10% GST by our beloved Government

5. ETA 5 Working Days

The 15% tax is the biggest killer here... because we are buying in bulk with total value over $1000.

At present, according to XE.com the AUD vs USD currency exchange sits around 1.024

So, $453 USD = approx $442 AUD

I'm happy to do all the paperwork and run around, then perhaps people in NSW can meet-up for collection.

My office is in Sydney Olympic Park, so maybe we can meet-up in Rhodes or nearby.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll make an official post in the trading section tonight.

Kyo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, to make the transaction easier, I don't might paying for all of them first, then you guys can pay me back when pickup.

I'll ask if they can do a better price, but freight & tax are all fix costs, so I don't know how low can they go... (currently at 45% Off RRP)

sorry kyo iv been busy

im happy for you to do so and go ahead with the transaction

would you be able to make a seperate thread about this?

Yes Sir! We shall proceed!

Boys, official group post -> http://au.lexusowner...showtopic=11352

Please keep this post clear of any group buy questions, only post comments in relation to the mid-pipe.

Hi Kyo

Just wanted to know before finalizing all this

do you know what the car sounds like with invidia mid pipe and stock rear exhaust ? noticeable differences? any drones? also are u just going to get mid pipe and stick to stock rear muffler?

also any gains at all with this? also is it bolt on?

sorry for all the Qs, but i thought i ask before finalizing

thanks

z

Got a PM from Zed_IS250, I thought to put it here for others input.

1. Do you know what the car sounds like with invidia mid pipe and stock rear exhaust. Noticeable Differences?

A: See "k2sty1"'s post beofore, youtube link:

The first part of the video is a stock muffler, just the invidia midpipe, so that will give you an idea on what it sounds like compared to your car now.

2. Any drones?

As far as my research on ALOC & Club Lexus goes, no droning.

Can anyone has this mid-pipe confirm please.

3. Are u just going to get mid pipe and stick to stock rear muffler? Is it bolt on?

Yes, it's a simple bolt on. It will replace the resonator section of the stock exhaust system. So it's an OEM replacement.

The front bolts onto the header/extractor catalytic convertor down-pipe, the rear bolts onto the stock muffler/axle back.

In future you can bolt on aftermarket axleback (Eg. F-Sport, Greddy SE, HKS) behind the invidia midpipe to replace the stock. And this is my future plan as well.

PS. Mid-pipe + Axleback = Catback (Catalytic Convertor Back)

4. Any gains at all with this?

On Dyno, maybe a few HP on the high end, but realistically I don't think you'll notice any difference apart from a better exhaust note. But it's a good start for your future modifications. You'll only start to get some noticeable gains when you put in intake, header, and a tunning etc.

man that sounds awesome and indeed preps the car up for axle back later, which i hope u will do a group buy for too?

:) that's the plan, might do a Invidia/Greddy SE axle back group buy in the future.

But let's see how this one stacking up first.

OK, member "334mm" chimed in to give us some insights on the installations. It appears to be not as simple as just a bolt-on.

Kyo, just a word of warning... it's not a simple hook up.

There is a cross member bar that will need to be taken off. Also the flanges fit quite oddly so a lot of gasket seal paste is needed.

And the last pain the pass thing is that the oxygen sensors will need to be cut, unless they have a very special tool (Most shop dont have this... even exhaust shops). Even if they have this tool, it needs to fit the gap (most are too long).

$70 is a good price if they will do it properly. It's a pain in ass to do it properly and with quality work.

Can you elaborate more on the "oxygen sensors will need to be cut" part? Does it mean the original sensor is too long to fit into the invidia mid-pipe?

Also any idea what this "very special tool" is? I'll go ask Hakan from Performance Exhaust to see if he knows what to do.

it's called a o2 sensor remove tool

it's size of 21mm or 23 mm sock but with th a gap between it so the O2 wire can pass through it

it's hard to explain

hax wont have that tool either

I see 2 main question to be answered:

1. Drone:

It will done with an aftermarket exhaust most of the time. F-sport drones like crazy, uphill with a 250 is not fun (lol terrrrry). Due to the under poweredness (is that a word? lol) of the car, it means that you either have excessive load on a cruising gear (bad drone), or downshift into a higher RPM (lots and lots of noise).

But if you have just the mid pipe, there is slight drone if you are looking for it. Otherwise you won't notice it. I've been told from outside it sounds a bit a *BLEEP*.

2. This tool:

As Danny said it's an oxygen sensor tool. I looked around myself to purchase the tool to take it to a workshop so they wont need to cut anything. The tool is a hard thing to find, but did source one place that was selling it for $100 (i think autobahn?). $100? lol no thanks.

So what needs to be cut? There is a flange gasket around the oxygen sensor that means you can't just a wrench on it. This is often cut, as it was done on Danny's old 250 and a couple other members. It's totally fine to do this, and there isnt any damage to anything (maybe to the soul of the car?). But I think everyone here isnt really keen into cutting stock parts (except lehman). Your decision really....

When I say too long, i mean most oxygen sensor sockets are really long. This often means the piece hit's the firewall. You can get around this buy getting a couple of guys to undo the pipe and hold it a bit lower so it doesnt hit the firewall. This is a real bitch cause from stock they are on TIGHT!, so get your minions to hold the pipe tight (drop the pipe or move it too much and you will snap the sensor).

Hak's doesn't have the tool, I asked at the time. At the time he said "no car needs that, a wrench does it... etc etc."

"So 334mm, how did you do yours?"

I took it to a real good mate that owns a part time workshop. He only install stuff for mates, so sorry won't do it.

Depending how anal retentive you guys are, you could pool into to get the oxygen sensor tool.

Excuse my grammar errors if there are any... too long to spell check etc.

Cheers guys, looks like we gona have a lot of fun on fitting this pipe...

OK, I think the wise thing to do here is just to try out on one car first, find the best way/best tool to do it then tell the rest of guys to go there install.

I'll ring hakan again to see if he knows this sh!t, and try a few other exhaust shop. Will keep you guys posted.

guys a local shop will install for about 50 - 70 bucks. the tricky bit then is getting the stock one home. Yes it is a nice note but some may not like it you may not wanna give up your stock pipes the the shop.

Kyo, i'll be honest with you.

Haks is probably not the guy to go to do this. The last time I spoke with him, he didnt have the tool, and this was less than a year ago. I wanted to go to him, cause of his status as the exhaust expert, I thought he'd have the right tools, but he didnt.

Haks does really really good custom work, and his prices were pretty competitive (heard it's gone up though, cause he's so busy?). But if you are looking to fit a mid pipe which is straight bolt on (i.e. no custom welding or bending etc) then any mechanic with a hoist can do it. If he was the one who quoted you $70, I think once he gets it on, and sees you have to cut stuff and take off the extra cross member, then he will probably up the price.

A local mechanic will be happy for the business and do a pretty much the same job. Just make sure they have gasket seal paste. It will probably cost less.

Not taking anything away from haks, cause he does brilliant welding, but this doesn't require his custom work expertise.

Kyo, if you are who I think you are. You live in rhodes, and there are plenty of mechanics on victoria rd and in regents park area. Both of which are much closer for you.

guys a local shop will install for about 50 - 70 bucks. the tricky bit then is getting the stock one home. Yes it is a nice note but some may not like it you may not wanna give up your stock pipes the the shop.

hmm... interesting point, so is the stock midpipe a one piece design or can it be dismantled like the invidia one?

I thought it can just roll down the back seat and should be enough space to take the stock home.

Kyo, i'll be honest with you.

Haks is probably not the guy to go to do this. The last time I spoke with him, he didnt have the tool, and this was less than a year ago. I wanted to go to him, cause of his status as the exhaust expert, I thought he'd have the right tools, but he didnt.

Haks does really really good custom work, and his prices were pretty competitive (heard it's gone up though, cause he's so busy?). But if you are looking to fit a mid pipe which is straight bolt on (i.e. no custom welding or bending etc) then any mechanic with a hoist can do it. If he was the one who quoted you $70, I think once he gets it on, and sees you have to cut stuff and take off the extra cross member, then he will probably up the price.

A local mechanic will be happy for the business and do a pretty much the same job. Just make sure they have gasket seal paste. It will probably cost less.

Not taking anything away from haks, cause he does brilliant welding, but this doesn't require his custom work expertise.

Kyo, if you are who I think you are. You live in rhodes, and there are plenty of mechanics on victoria rd and in regents park area. Both of which are much closer for you.

Hey 334mm,

Thanks for your helpful infos mate!

I do hang-around Rhodes quite a lot, do you live there as well? I've yet to spot a IS350 in the hood, saw couple of IS-Fs there tho.

Hakan is top bloke, knows him for a number of years now, he did a few custom jobs on my previous cars (Honda S2000 & DC5), does a good job every time, so naturally I always go back to him. But I understand exactly what you saying, his awesomeness in welding probably isn't going to help us on installing this mid-pipe.

Trying to help the boys out in this group buy, knowing everyone wishes to save $$, so let's see if we can find good exhaust shop to do this job.

"So 334mm, how did you do yours?"

I took it to a real good mate that owns a part time workshop. He only install stuff for mates, so sorry won't do it.

lol, i know you said No already, but can you ask your mate again to see if he's interested on making couple hundred dollars of side money and help the group buy buys out? I think we can get at least 5ppl into this group installation.

Let's not go off-topic too much on this post, just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ theres a video of it with stock exhaust and invidia. Sounds awesome imo. I'll be getting mine done soon, don't mind the sound, once you get an axle back i think it'll be a bit more droney.

YouTube:

Back from holiday today, wow... civilization :)

Going to install mine this week, will post video clip on my car to compare stock vs midpiped. Stay tuned!

Welcome back Kyo!

Install mine last week still running stock axle back exhaust! Paid 50$ - but thats because my friends are mechanics.

Hell smokey and stinky upon first few days of driving, but goes away! Sounds similiar to video linked two post above, but i think the video makes it sound more 'graspier' than it is. Very subtle though! I like it but it's not loud enough :( Overall very happy with the product and the quality. Acceleration does feel a bit better also!

Cheers on the report Mac!

From some other people's feedbacks, the mid-pipe will take a few weeks to burn-in/run-in, probably after 500km it should settle-in with a more deeper and louder tone. Let us know if the sound changes.

Also good to see you can feel the acceleration increase.