Hi karlHess,

Yes, it s quite deflating when you find a basic flaw in what should be one of the best machines. I guess you could keep adding oil, but I found this untenable so I traded mine. The new model prices are high in Oz and NZ and the dealer here did not want to bargain so I bought a new Mazda 6. Of course you could always get a good condition grey import in NZ.

All the best

Mike

Attached is a PDF describing the issue...

does this apply in australia?

i dont service mine at lexus ( sorry i got a bit lost reading the pdf )

my 2006 chews so much oil its crazy

edit - read lexus nerds reply in other thread

• Like 1

Through the grape vine, I have deduced that the recall was only issued in the USA market for a specific VIN range... even though some/all the vehicles worldwide also have the same defect.

They came from the same factory and use the same parts... go figure. The real laugh is the reason they had to issue the recall was for environmental reasons in the states.

I just had a carbon flush and went to purely synthetic, and the recommended 5w30. Runs like a dream, and by what people say, less oil should burn.

Yes, we mustn't upset the US market, the rest of the world can go fish. I was running synthetic of the correct grade but it still used loads in a short time. There are some interesting utube videos from the US about this subject. The yanks got a $US7.5k grant for a rebuild, and a 75000 mile warranty afterwards. Because of the direct injection and this piston fault the inlet valves needed to be maintained as the stems bogged up.

I personally don't think it's worth the angst and bull*BLEEP* to follow this up in Oz so I traded mine and finished with the brand, this after three of the beasties (soarer, GS300, and IS250). The whole problem seems to stem from a factory in Southern Japan, I guess this won't be the last time Toyota stuff up!

Cheers

Can I use just normal mineral 10-40W for my is250? Or is it just too thick for the engine, my engine drinks half litre engine oil every 1000km. What oil should I use since I am currently using Castrol Sports 5-30W.

I'm pretty sure the Owners Manual for Australian IS 250s suggests 10W oil, and many Lexus dealers use 10W oil. You may see overseas forums and US manuals swear by 5W, but they need 5W due to the colder climate and US regulations (10W could result in slightly higher fuel consumption, making an official preference for 10W in the US a no-no). The lower difference between cold and warm viscosity (in 10W-30 vs 5W-30) means less additives which can burn up and cause carbon deposits.

You could use a mineral oil that has less additives compared to a synthetic 5W-30, but you might run into other problems that are worse than just higher oil consumption.

Hence, try and get the best 10W-30 oil you can find, to optimise cold starting ability (in our climate), low carbon deposits and low engine wear.

• 1 month later...

This thread is still going?!! Anyone tried Mobil1 0W-40, Motul X-cess 5W-40 or Motul X-clean 5W-40 in their IS#50 yet?

Motul have a new oil coming out in the Australasian market soon called Sport Ester 5W-40. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/motul/MotulSport5W-40GB.pdf

Ester is an amazing product, rather than me ramble on about it you can just read this link >> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

I run Motul 300V in my 3SGE which is a full Ester oil, the car has never run so good. Only down side is it's a race oil so needs to be changed every 6K km. The PAO & Ester Motul Sport should be able to handle a few more km than 300V, say 10-15K. This will be a great oil for the Australian climate to use in the IS#50. I highly suggest you try some once it becomes available. https://www.motul.com/au/en/resellers

Wind Chaser if your car is using Edge 5W30 then a cheap 10W40 isn't going to fare any better, see above my recommendations above or if you're really on a budget then Shell Helix 5W40 is then next best & very reasonably priced. Anything else is a waste of time IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Is it necessary to change oil for my car since it is drinking 1 litre of oil for every 1000km, for 15000km service interval that means I have already filled 15litre of new engine oil. It just sounds crazy and unbelievable that 15litre of new oil has been consumped already.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it necessary to change oil for my car since it is drinking 1 litre of oil for every 1000km, for 15000km service interval that means I have already filled 15litre of new engine oil. It just sounds crazy and unbelievable that 15litre of new oil has been consumped already.

Well, your oil filter is due for a change anyway, so you'd replace the oil at the same time. While the oil change is being done, why not look at getting the upper engine cleaning service? We can argue here about the best oil to use in the future, how you should drive your car, who should service it ... But if it's consuming a litre of oil every 1000 km, chances are your intake valves aren't closing properly and are in desperate need of a clean.

Well, your oil filter is due for a change anyway, so you'd replace the oil at the same time. While the oil change is being done, why not look at getting the upper engine cleaning service? We can argue here about the best oil to use in the future, how you should drive your car, who should service it ... But if it's consuming a litre of oil every 1000 km, chances are your intake valves aren't closing properly and are in desperate need of a clean.

Thanks for the siggestion. However I just did the upper clean last service and nothing came out of my exhaust as the mechanic said it was really clean.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi Guys,

I've been facing same problem for over a year now. Bought IS 250 2008 and it already had very less (shouldn't have bought it in first place). After logbook service at 107000 kms, noticed significant oil dropping, as car gave oil warning and knocking sound. I topped up oil with 5w-30 and then took it to mechanic. They checked, no leakage no blue smoke, i checked where I parked no signs of stains. 

Anyways, they topped up oil, added thickener. Then again after few months I noticed oil dropped to minimum. Topped it with 5w-40 (only oil I could nearby). And again same problem, oil is low. I am aware of carbon build up but this is too much. Has anyone got piston rings replaced?

Whats the permanent solution? I don't think my mechanic is capable of handling such issue.

Thanks.

UJ