Hi All,

I picked up a new IS350 F-Sport on Friday and after being passed by every semi trailer (and removalist truck) on the Hume Freeway installed a GPS speedo app on my phone and found my Speedo is about 10kmph out at 110kmph.

When I contacted the dealership they advised that this is normal in all new cars in Australia now and there is nothing they can do about it.

Anyone know how to recalibrate the speedo so it is somewhat accuracte? All this means is I will end up compensating for the error and will no doubt get a ticket because I dont have an accurate idea of what speed I am doing. Sadly the even the new Navigation system doesnt give a speed readout.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

they can re calibrate it, i had mine done in my is250 2 years ago. when i got the car it had 50 000km on the clock and my speedo was out by 12 - 13%.

A big role played into your speedo is tire size. you need to double check that you have the correct tire size according to your tire placard. the dealership is obliged to check and correct the tires before they sell it too you. but may have been looked over. in actual fact in all my shinanigans with tires and wheels and repairs and what not. i found your speedo is actually governed by the right rear wheel. but you should get them all corrected if they arent matching to your tire placard. you should be able to get your speedo to within 1%.

good luck!!

Hi,

The car is brand new, completely stock, including the 18s. I asked Lexus of Brighton and they told me by law they arent allowed to do it. I am not sure if this has changed in the last 2 years or they are pulling my leg. Would any where else be able to do it? Like a tyre fitter...

Regards,

Tony

Hi,

The car is brand new, completely stock, including the 18s. I asked Lexus of Brighton and they told me by law they arent allowed to do it. I am not sure if this has changed in the last 2 years or they are pulling my leg. Would any where else be able to do it? Like a tyre fitter...

Regards,

Tony

There has always been a law that allows for this within vehicle manufacturers. But a brand new car should be better then 10%. Only lexus can re calibrate them.

I have a 2006, and same thing - found it was "underreading" by about 10%. Queried it with my dealership and they said it was an issue with pre-2007 speedos. Their response - they replaced the dash display module with a brand new one under warranty at no cost....... it's been pretty much dead accurate ever since, about a 1-2% discrepancy tops over the past 5 years or so. I could confirm it was a new module, because there was a different symbol/light for a couple of warning symbols (traction control and oil leak I think) then on my initial display.

So I'm a little confused with the talk on this post to date (dealership responses to an issue that I thought was remedied by the speedo module maufacturer several years back).

If your dealership is being difficult, in terms of recalibration, I thought this service was available through independent providers. If you're in Melbourne, I know there is (was?) a place in Ringwood on Maroondah Hwy near Heatherdale Road that only did speedometer re-calibration, replacement and modification.

I wonder if there is a TSIB for it somewhere??

I have just gone through the ADR from the Australian gov website. It hasn't changed since new rules came into effect 1/1/2007 so I have sent an email to Lexus saying I want the problem fixed.

The bottom line from the ADR is as long as it does not under-read it can be as accurate as the manufacturer can get it. It is not allowed to over-read and more then 10% + 4km/h.