Hoping someone can help with this issue.

Not sure if I'm alone, but my brakes are squealing very badly under light application, e.g lightly braking when coming to a stop just as I press the brakes until the brakes grip that little bit harder. The noise is embarrassing for a relatively new car to do this, so I brought it up with Lexus Waterloo, who suggested and carried out a machine on the discs. This was at about 22-24000km. I had a recent service in Nov at 28000, and its just under 30000 now. The noise came back this month after the Nov service.

They said that next time I will need to replace rotors as part of wear and tear at my cost, looking at $800+.

Does this seem right?

Should this not be a warranty issue? I never had this issue with my Mazda 3 SP23 of 5 years and I did 120000km in that.

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers,

John

Lexus discs are very soft, so it's actually not unusual to see them needed to be replaced around the 20k mark.

Don't go for genuine though... the price is ridiculous. Buy some DBA or RDA discs for a fraction of the cost.

you are not alone John. Mine IS350, and my previous IS250 both hv this problem. I thought this should be fixed under warranty, unfortunately its not the case.

As Atlantis mentioned, stay away from the genuine one. DBA or RDA discs r way better.

I've noticed my new IS350 F Sport is doing that after the first 1000 Km. However, it does not happen all the time. It happens when it likes to LOL.

Could be the OEM pads that Lexus uses.

Think I will just leave it alone for now until it squeals more frequently.

Hmm.... I am thinking it should happen with all ISes beside ours right?

My is350 does this too, and it's done less than 20,000k's. Good to know that the squealing is "normal".

Was going to change the pads, but I've somewhat become used to squealing brakes. Previous car had project mu pads and they squealed alot more.

• 3 months later...

I ended up getting this fixed through warranty. The dealership got the brake pads and shims replaced however my rotors remain the same and no machining was needed. If there was machining required or rotors needed replacing I was looking at +$500 at my own expense.

I suggest you use this post as proof and I'm happy to scan a copy of the repair sheet if required.

I raised this concern last year when it happens to my is350 2011. Its all about faulty brake pads ( it was also mention on lexus USA ).

I had my POST in this forum before, but there was arrogant MODS deleted the topic.

thanks

I ended up getting this fixed through warranty. The dealership got the brake pads and shims replaced however my rotors remain the same and no machining was needed. If there was machining required or rotors needed replacing I was looking at +$500 at my own expense.

I suggest you use this post as proof and I'm happy to scan a copy of the repair sheet if required.

My is350 does this too, and it's done less than 20,000k's. Good to know that the squealing is "normal".

Was going to change the pads, but I've somewhat become used to squealing brakes. Previous car had project mu pads and they squealed alot more.

The pad number you had now is: 0446530410

if you contact Lexus USA which I did last year, they gave me 0446530450

and here is the response from lexus USA: lexus changed the part. The number im giving you is the updated version. The older part number is the one with the squealing problem.

1. Remove the brake pads and disassemble the 2 metal shim plates.

2. Wash all dust from the shim plates and backs of the pads using soapy water and a toothbrush then dry thoroughly.

3. Coat both sides of the inner shim plate with a thin film of CRC Anti-Squeal (red squeeze bottle available from bigger auto shops for around $20).

4. Refit the shim plates to the pads and squeeze together, taking care to clean-up any excess red goop that oozes out.

5. Refit the pads and enjoy the silence.