Hi all, i am thinking about changing my tyres. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in tyres that are good. I am thinking about Michelin Pilot Sports 3 or the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2? Does anyone ever owned one of these?

Hi all, i am thinking about changing my tyres. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in tyres that are good. I am thinking about Michelin Pilot Sports 3 or the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2? Does anyone ever owned one of these?

I had the original assymetrics before the 2's came out. Quite expensive but worth it i reckon. Quiet, grippy and predicatable handling.

Also all the reviews rate them very very highly. only thing is i found they wore a little quicker than i'd like.

I had Kuhmo KU31s on my previous car. I bought them because they got really good reviews. They are middle of the road in terms of price, but perform like the more expensive tires. I rate them very highly and would buy them again.

Some web reviews and comments from tire shops say that they can get a little loud, but i havnt noticied this (i did 20,000km and there was still plenty of tread left).

Take a look at the new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. $350 a corner...

have had mine in for a month, very happy with them... very quiet, grippy in the dry and wet!... the one thing i have noticed is, i use to lose a bit of traction in our work car park (polished floors) ever since the change, i dont see the traction control light as often and i can hear it grip and squeal while turning around corners......

I had the original assymetrics before the 2's came out. Quite expensive but worth it i reckon. Quiet, grippy and predicatable handling.

Also all the reviews rate them very very highly. only thing is i found they wore a little quicker than i'd like.

Yeah, i read quite a few reviews, i found out the Pirelli Pzero is not so good in terms of grip or the road noise and they are about $225 each and bridgestone potenza which around $300 something tends to understeer and wear quite heavy, all the reviews saying the Goodyear Assymetrics 2 is really really good in terms of wear, quietness, and grip but the michelin is also a good choice. I have found a tyre shop where they can offer me $310 each for 225/40/18 and $400 for 265/35/18 which is great..i called up Jax they are saying $500 each i am like what a rip off, cant really trust the price that people quote over the tyre shop, they tend to go up really high.

Take a look at the new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT. $350 a corner...

have had mine in for a month, very happy with them... very quiet, grippy in the dry and wet!... the one thing i have noticed is, i use to lose a bit of traction in our work car park (polished floors) ever since the change, i dont see the traction control light as often and i can hear it grip and squeal while turning around corners......

$350 for Dunlop tyres, thats crazy! which shop did u buy them from? Honestly i dont find them very honest with their price. Dunlop tyres are normally around 200 mark. Take a look at this eBay page, this is an acualy tyre shop based in Sydney.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225-40-18-2254018-92Y-DUNLOP-SP-SPORT-MAXX-BRAND-NEW-TYRE-/181060689940?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a280ee014

Just a tip - beware about purchasing tyres from non - major tyre outlets in Sydney. I was in the market for new tyres and called around getting quotes for Pirelli P Zeros in 255/40/18s, Jax stores quoted me between $470-500 each. A smaller tyre store quoted me $230 each fitted and balanced for the same tyres. It seemed to good to be true, so I did more research. I ended up finding that, that particular store may have parallel imported their tyres from developing countries where the tyres are not suited to the conditions here in Australia.

I had Kuhmo KU31s on my previous car. I bought them because they got really good reviews. They are middle of the road in terms of price, but perform like the more expensive tires. I rate them very highly and would buy them again.

Some web reviews and comments from tire shops say that they can get a little loud, but i havnt noticied this (i did 20,000km and there was still plenty of tread left).

Glad to hear that, my car's previous owner has put Falken ZE912 on it. And to be honest i drove about 10000km on it and i think it was alright, the road noise is quite little but it does get really really nervous driving in rain. i always lose grip when i turn sharply when wet, sometimes i feel like the car is sliding. It happened about 2 times, one times i was driving through a round about doing about 60, OMG the car went complete out of control, and then the VSC light flashs and beeps and i hit the brake and everything stopped, quite a horrifying experience. Thats why this time i would go for tyres with more grips specially in wet..

Just a tip - beware about purchasing tyres from non - major tyre outlets in Sydney. I was in the market for new tyres and called around getting quotes for Pirelli P Zeros in 255/40/18s, Jax stores quoted me between $470-500 each. A smaller tyre store quoted me $230 each fitted and balanced for the same tyres. It seemed to good to be true, so I did more research. I ended up finding that, that particular store may have parallel imported their tyres from developing countries where the tyres are not suited to the conditions here in Australia.

oh..thats interesting. The tyre shop i am about to visit is called Tempe Tyres, located on Princes Highway. It seems legit with reasonable price. Thanks for the tip

Parallel import, yes, from developing country, not very likely for 18s. Can't imagine a large market for high performance 18s in impoverished countries. In terms of designed for Australian conditions, I wonder are they referring to wear, impact resistance or traction?If it is a matter of wear, than the price will be more than compensate for it. In terms of traction, I wonder why the need to introduce the discrepancy. As for impact resistance, I can't imagine impoverished countries have better roads, although Sydney can be pretty bad in certain areas during the wet season. Sometimes, it is probably just a scare campaign by the local distributor.

oh..thats interesting. The tyre shop i am about to visit is called Tempe Tyres, located on Princes Highway. It seems legit with reasonable price. Thanks for the tip

The 3 usual suspects in that area are Taleb, Tempe and St George. They all do parallel imports. Some say they are run by the same extended family. If you google, you will find a few rumblings about Tempe and St George. Taleb seems to be OK.

Another place is Tyres for less in Fairfield East. They also do parallel imports. I was there on a Tue afternoon and they were very busy. 4 bays and still a queue. I don't know whether they parallel import the high end stuff in 18s, I was there for some cheap and nasty tyres for an old volvo.

When it is time for me to buy some 18s, I hope the AUD is still close to parity with the USD. You can't beat tirerack. But witht he recent export ban, you will have to plan ahead and use a sea freight forwarder.

They all have ebay shops. If you see cheap Pzero on ebay, some of them is the all season version (harder compound for snow / near freezing temp). Which means it will last longer but won't be as sticky as the summer version.

Not exactly in response to the original request, but tyre-related.

My Yokos db V550 have done 39,000km and just recently have started slipping a bit in the wet - they were superb until now. Plenty of tread still left (maybe 3+mm on the rears and 4+mm in front). Is this a reasonable life to expect from tyres or are other brands better in the wet for longer?

Have 225x45R17 in front and 245x45R17 rear.

Not exactly in response to the original request, but tyre-related.

My Yokos db V550 have done 39,000km and just recently have started slipping a bit in the wet - they were superb until now. Plenty of tread still left (maybe 3+mm on the rears and 4+mm in front). Is this a reasonable life to expect from tyres or are other brands better in the wet for longer?

Have 225x45R17 in front and 245x45R17 rear.

Thats actually great, from what i read from the tyrereview.co.uk, they say a normal tyre last about 15000KM

Have a squiz at Ozzytyres, they seem to be pretty cheap in comparison to local dealers. Also check out Nitto Invo tyres, i have them on the back and their grip levels are chalk and cheese compared to the stock Dunlops.