New Front Pads & Rotors

marvin

Well I had my new set fitted about 3 weeks ago and I could not be happier. Less dust better feel and just as good as OEM braking performance.

Discs are slotted and drilled from Brakenetics and Stoptech pads. Pads delivered $170.00 for the four, front discs delivered $650.00

The discs look the part too.

Hi guys - I have just imported front OEM pads from Sewells - but when I took the wheels off to install I noted the front rotors appear worn. I haven't done a thinkness check yet - but there is a ride running around the outer edge. The car has done an easy 40,000 km's - and I was expecting to just do the pads and next time replace the pads and rotors ( say around 70k).

Anyone got any advice re the expected life of the front rotors - normal driving not track life?

Has anyone replaced the rotors themselves? is it difficult?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Regards Macka.

Hey Macka,

My front rotor/pads only lasted 30 000km for the first 2 times and that is without track driving. (Maybe I'm a little too keen on the brakes.) Not sure how others do.

As for Rotor/Pad installs I have found this video on youtube that might help. Looks fairly simple.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Marvin - watched the video and there's nothing in there I can't handle. Have just ordered my new rotors from Sewells. Have ordered rear brake pads, but will not do rear rotors just yet.

Wasn't sure about the need for new shim plates or for replacing pins/ springs etc. Can reuse the old ones like in the video!

Regards Macka.

Got my rear brakes redone. Dixcel items. Nothing special, just intended to be OEM replacements.

I sourced the pads and rotors myself.

Cost was approximately $1000 all up, including labour perfomed by Lexus servicing.

itT1Nrhbkd0c1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys - I just got back from a vacation in the USA - ordered my OEM front rotors and pads all round from Sewell Parts before I left Perth and had them delivered to my hotel in Vegas. I did this because the delivery fee for Sewell to Perth was circa $750 - and I thought I could do better than that by hand carrying them.

Well it worked - the USA delivery to Vegas was just $50, bought a second suitcase and rose to the challenge of keeping each bag weight below 23kgs - a challenge when each rotor weighs circa 13 kgs ( and the suitcase around 2).

Now my biceps are bigger than ever, but my body weight is less because I had to wear most of my clothes home - I looked like a real porker for 28 hours and sweated out around 3 kgs..

Also bought back 30 k service kit - in my carry on - but minus the brake fluid which I thought would be tough to get through. Just getting filters and brake pads through each security inspection was a bit of fun.

Thanks for the heads up on Dixcel brake parts - I see available in Australia - but not in Perth. Will try them next time.

• 2 weeks later...

That's great news! Are they squealing on the street at all? I've had my ISF 3 months now and the only thing I don't like about the car is those squealing brakes!

well my OEM sounded like a road train after a track day to a point where it was embarrassing in traffic these are fine I can hear a tiny bit sometimes but with windows up dead quiet.

• 7 months later...

Got my rear brakes redone. Dixcel items. Nothing special, just intended to be OEM replacements.

I sourced the pads and rotors myself.

Cost was approximately $1000 all up, including labour perfomed by Lexus servicing.

itT1Nrhbkd0c1.jpg

if you dont mind asking where did you got these from. loaclly? im due to upgrade mine front and the back on 2009 ISF i dont track just daily driver with mostly spirited driving :)

regards

I went for Stoptech Pads, and Ferrodo discs. The discs are actually made by Brembo, got them from Ebay.co.uk. Can't remember where I got the pads from though.

I've found this set up to be much quieter than the stock set up. Ultimate 'bite' from the pads isn't as good as stock set up, but is worth it for the benefit of no noise.

I am not in Melbourne, but in Perth I just took them to my regular mechanic who services BMW, SAAB etc. He was far cheaper than going to Lexus dealer.

He fitted the brakes and rotors and did the 40,000 k service at the same time.

Just a heads up, imported from Jesse Streeter these were the last prices i got from him for Dixcel Rotors:

These are for the drilled discs, like OEM.

+ 26000 Yen DHL Express Shipping or

20000 Yen via Sea.

Dixcel Brake Disk PD Front for Lexus (3119305) - 33,696yen. in stock.
Dixcel Brake Disk HD Front for Lexus (3119305) - 46,980yen. will take about 2 weeks.
Dixcel Brake Disk PD Rear for Lexus (3159116) - 30,888yen. in stock.
Dixcel Brake Disk HD Rear for Lexus (3159116) - 43,740yen. will take about 2 weeks.

Project mu are selling brake discs here now, $700 a pair. Not bad at all!http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/rotor_crd.php

thats pretty cheap

Yeah, I have been on to them about stocking these discs for us. It's a big saving over getting them shipped from USA. :)