New Front Pads & Rotors

marvin

Hey Marvin did you ask what the difference between T2 and T3 rotors, don't know the torque specs just tighten with Loctite (I have done 10000,s of brakes you get a feeling) cheers.

I just purchased “dba T3 rotors” for my brothers car.   & on their web site,  the T3’s are made out of better metal,  XG150 High Carbon Alloyed Iron.   which they say has “an increase in thermal capacity property allows the rotor to handle constant extremes of heat over extended periods of time”.

• 2 weeks later...

ordered all OEM Brembo rotors/pads from the states - ended up being around $1500 and around $90 to fit the fronts so I am pretty happy with that!

rears are not due yet but ready to go when they do!

I know the brake dust is a an issue but I have always been immensly imrpessed at how the OEM systems hold up and the number of lexus track days I have attended with random drivers car swapping and beating on the cars all day!

Stay with OEM rotors, but get some Project Mu NS400 street pads for daily duty. Like maaaaybe 10% of the dust. Totally recommend.

But then you will need some separate track pads because it will chew through the NS400 very fast on the track..

Quite impressive the OEM when you realise it can do it all, only downside is some dust, an amazing pad!

Agree with the others.  For street use, the NS400's are a fraction of the price and a fraction of the dust and easily hold their own for street driving.

Track of course is a different issue, the OEM's as mentioned are a great all rounder and on a track, dust isnt a major concern.

Good price for OEM's, from memory when i called Lexus late last year, maybe early this year (i have a bad memory), they quoted me about $3200ish for the front alone (pads/rotors) so im sure over 4k with rears too.  Just a tiny markup in price lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick one, NS400 front pads.  Any difference between an 07-10 ISF and 11-14 ISF?  Their listings only show up to 2010 so I'm a little confused if they'll be ok on a MY2012

edit: never mind I think what the listing is saying is 2007/10 onwards.

http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/guides/lexus.htm

• 4 months later...

On 2/7/2017 at 0:23 PM, Vaku said:

ordered all OEM Brembo rotors/pads from the states - ended up being around $1500 and around $90 to fit the fronts so I am pretty happy with that!

rears are not due yet but ready to go when they do!

I know the brake dust is a an issue but I have always been immensly imrpessed at how the OEM systems hold up and the number of lexus track days I have attended with random drivers car swapping and beating on the cars all day!

@Vaku Where did you get your OEM rotors & pads from please? 

• 3 months later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, mivarpet said:

@Vaku Where did you get your OEM rotors & pads from please? 

eBay USA seems to be the best place for OEM Lexus parts.

Anyone running DBA T3 Rotors with Project Mu NS400 pads? Care to share some experiences with this combo?

I already bought a set of NS400 pads for the street and looking to upgrade the rotors, I'm contacting Brakes direct to get price on the T3.

Also planning to get a set of track use pads, maybe Project Mu HC800, anyone know if NS400 and HC800 compound can work together on the T3 rotor?

3 hours ago, kyo said:

Anyone running DBA T3 Rotors with Project Mu NS400 pads? Care to share some experiences with this combo?

I already bought a set of NS400 pads for the street and looking to upgrade the rotors, I'm contacting Brakes direct to get price on the T3.

Im running that exact setup up front for almost 1 year now.  Ordered the above from Brakes direct Nov 16 and they are a great street combo.  Much less dust than OEM, less squeal etc and the rotors also great.  The slotted rotors are good and are a popular choice.  Paid about $550 last year for the 2 rotors and pads, not sure how that compares to prices now

Project Mu NS400 pads are good for the street, & low dust which is great.

I have used Project Mu NS400 on the rear brakes, & HC800 on the fronts at Eastern Creek.   the HC800 work well.   the NS400 get to hot & fade at the track,  but are good for street use.      at the track I now use Project Mu RC 09 Club Racer pads on all 4 rotors, they are great at the track,  but are a little noisy for street use,  (unless you like that)  they also make a lot of dust.    I use OEM rotors.     Good 2 piece rotors at the track would be better.

When i purchased my IS-F about 5 months ago, the brakes were buggered and needed replacing ASAP. After doing some research i ended up using DBA X-Gold disks from Brakes Direct in QLD (slotted and cross drilled) because i wanted to keep the cross drilled look and these are the only disks that DBA offer that are cross drilled. I wasn't happy with the gold colour on the hubs so i painted these matt black before fitting to the car. https://www.dba.com.au/products/street-performance/x-gold/

For pads, i wanted low dust so ended up with the Winmax W1 pads on the front and Winmax W2 pads on the rear. The pads ended up being a bit of a pain to source locally so i got the fronts from Brakes Direct and had to get the rears from USA.

Fitted everything myself and bedded them in with about 10-12 fairly hard stops from about 80kph down to 10kph etc. 

Very happy overall with this setup so far. The disks look great, the pads are indeed much less dusty than the stock Brembo pads and they make no noise.

Took the opportunity to give the calipers and suspension a much needed clean while i had everything apart too - so much brake dust buildup on the calipers in only 40,000km.

Thanks guys for the feedback!!

I've just ordered a full set of DBA T3 Rotors from Brake Direct website. Price & Link here:

http://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/catalogsearch/result/?q=vehicle&make=Lexus&model=IS&generation=XE20%2B%282005-2013%29&submodel=IS%2BF

Going to pair them with the Project Mu NS400 for the street. Although Brake Direct did seem to recommend Remsa pads over Project Mu pads. I might give it a try next time.

Now I just need to figure out if the Project Mu NS400 compound can work with HC800 on the same rotor surface when going to the track, so I can just swap the pads.

PMu HC+ which I think are equivalent to HC800 are great pads capable of track days. Anything less than those in the PMu range aren’t really up to track work, I have a set of B-Specs and while the rears were ok, the fronts were getting too hot after 2 or 3 laps. Given that in my experience the HCs work from cold and have good bite, I should have just bought a set of those and not had to worry about changing pads if I do a track day.....

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, kyo said:

Thanks guys for the feedback!!

I've just ordered a full set of DBA T3 Rotors from Brake Direct website. Price & Link here:

http://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/catalogsearch/result/?q=vehicle&make=Lexus&model=IS&generation=XE20%2B%282005-2013%29&submodel=IS%2BF

Going to pair them with the Project Mu NS400 for the street. Although Brake Direct did seem to recommend Remsa pads over Project Mu pads. I might give it a try next time.

Now I just need to figure out if the Project Mu NS400 compound can work with HC800 on the same rotor surface when going to the track, so I can just swap the pads.

If you use the same rotors with different pads, they have to wear into each other as they are not perfectly flat,  but they will work.  I’m sure driving around and out to the track,  plus after a 20 minute session on the track they should be ok.

When I take my ISF to the track,  I have a spare set of OEM front rotors with Project Mu RC 09 pads, marked and labelled so they go back in the same position on the ISF, and in the same place in the front brake calipers.  That way they are match perfectly to the rotors every time I use them.      As the rear brakes don’t do as much work as the fronts, (only 20 to 30%)  I only change the pads over to Project Mu RC 09.   they have to wear in, but after driving around and out to the track, plus a 20 minute session they are fine.

One of the things that I like about the spare set of OEM front rotors for the track is, it keeps my street OEM front rotors looking like new.

3 hours ago, banserki said:

I'm keen to the the mu 400's on all 4 as my fronts are starting to get low. Whats the best rotor for cheap? stick to OEM?

Hey have a look at these options. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIMPLED-SLOTTED-Lexus-IS-F-V8-USE20R-10-2008-FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS-/292120203085?hash=item4403b88f4d

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIMPLED-SLOTTED-Lexus-F-5-0L-V8-USE20R-10-2008-FRONT-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-/272674755443?hash=item3f7cae9373

https://www.empoweredautoparts.com.au/lexus-is-f-5.0l-v8-twin-turbo-2008-onwards-ceramic

These pads are very good. Better option all round. Check out the chart below

http://www.ultrarev.net/brake_pads/ebc_comparison_chart.php

I`ll be fitting the EBC Redstuff to my car as i`m in need of fronts soon. Being in the trade up here we here very good things about EBC brake pads.

Hope this helps.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, LTuned said:

If you use the same rotors with different pads, they have to wear into each other as they are not perfectly flat,  but they will work.  I’m sure driving around and out to the track,  plus after a 20 minute session on the track they should be ok.

When I take my ISF to the track,  I have a spare set of OEM front rotors with Project Mu RC 09 pads, marked and labelled so they go back in the same position on the ISF, and in the same place in the front brake calipers.  That way they are match perfectly to the rotors every time I use them.      As the rear brakes don’t do as much work as the fronts, (only 20 to 30%)  I only change the pads over to Project Mu RC 09.   they have to wear in, but after driving around and out to the track, plus a 20 minute session they are fine.

One of the things that I like about the spare set of OEM front rotors for the track is, it keeps my street OEM front rotors looking like new.

Project Mu just sent me the their recommended Brake Pad Bedding Guide, as attached if anyone looking for it.

Considering running a separate set of Rotor/Pad dedicated for track use as well, do you swap them yourself at home or at Chatswood before and after?

Two piece rotor is so pricey...

Brake bedding PMU _Non SAS_.pdf

I could change them myself,  but I get the good people at Lexus of Chatswood service to change them over for me, when she is in for her pre track inspection.   they also fit my track mags before I do a track day with them.   & they change them back after the track day at her post track inspection.

Track days are so much fun.

They are John!! And it’s great getting a bunch of the same cars together.

only a few of us are lucky enough to have dedicated track wheels and tires 😜 joining that club very shortly - the advans are ordered and in their way !!