The Next Lexus F Model

Lexus Nerd

Lexus has announced that the "next Lexus F model" will debut at the Detroit Motor Show in January. (We're all expecting the next F to be known as the RC F, but that's not officially announced yet.)

Press previews for the motor show start on 13 January, so I expect a live video feed of the debut on the morning of 14 January in Australian time zones. No doubt we'll see four teaser shots being released between now and 9 or 10 Janauary, when I would expect a press release will provide more details of the RC F - sorry, I mean, "the new F model".

Here's the first teaser shot:

banner01-x.jpg

Edited by Lexus Nerd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we now know it's the RC F. Still don't know the power output of the V8 yet, but we do have more pics. We also know it will have an active rear spoiler, three wheel options (including hand-polished),sculpted seats ...

post-4317-0-18296900-1389214125_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-33660700-1389214148_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-92307900-1389214168_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-02080700-1389214187_thumb.jp

post-4317-0-17143500-1389214205_thumb.jp

Edited by Lexus Nerd

... I expect a live video feed of the debut on the morning of 14 January in Australian time zones.

14 January, at 12:45 am Australian Eastern Daylight Time, to be exact.
Oops. Make that 15 January, 12:45 am AEDT.

The official launch at the Detroit motor show didn't reveal much more than what we already knew, except:

- The RC F will be available with the other RC vehicles in the US "this fall" (Sep-Nov 2014).

- The rumour of using an Atkinson cycle for fuel efficiency (at low speeds), while using Otto cycle for performance, was confirmed. This might reduce overall fuel consumption a bit, but not as much as twin turbo/bi-turbo. The rumour of cylinder deactivation technology is finally proven to be false.

- RC F will feature a "torque vectoring differential".

US press release: http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2014+naias+lexus+rc+f+coupe+elevates+driving+experience.htm

Following the official launch in Detroit, there's plenty of images of the RC F on the Web. Most of these are of the blue pre-production model without the carbon fibre trim, because the RC F won't be sold in the US with a carbon fibre bonnet.

Lexus Australia have, however, released pictures of a white RC F featuring a CF bonnet. This would suggest that Australians will have the choice of buying the "carbon edition", complete with carbon fibre roof, bonnet and spoiler.

13RCFCarbonpre-productionmodelshownhr_zp

14RCFCarbonpre-productionmodelshownhr_zp

12RCFandRCFcarbonpre-productionmodelssho

The images are protected by copyright and other intellectual property protection by Lexus. Licensed to Lexus Nerd for review or discussion of the Lexus RC F in this forum.

This would suggest that Australians will have the choice of buying the "carbon edition", complete with carbon fibre roof, bonnet and spoiler.

Really?

Is that a bit of a wild guess????

It's been said that the carbon edition won't be sold in the USA. (EDIT: The RC F won't be sold in the USA with a carbon fibre bonnet. Carbon roof and spoiler, maybe, but not the "hood".)

Lexus USA have released pictures of the RC F ... None of them feature the carbon edition.

Lexus Australia have released pictures of the RC F with the carbon fibre features (EDIT: Including the carbon fibre hood.)

Three possible conclusions:

• The RC F carbon edition will be sold here. (EDIT: With a carbon hood.)
  • Lexus Australia made a mistake by releasing every possible image of the RC F.
  • Lexus Australia like teasing everyone by releasing pictures of pre-production vehicles that we'll never be able to get in Australia.
Edited by Lexus Nerd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Any word on specs - specifically weight? Looks like quite a heavy car

Well, it took almost eight months, but specifications have finally been released:

• 467 hp (that's 348 kW, but Australian press are quoting 351 kW), 550 Nm
  • 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds (also reportedly 0-100 km/h in 4.4 s)
  • Length/width/height 4705 mm x 1845 mm x 1930 mm; a little longer and wider than the IS, while having the same wheelbase
  • 1850-1860 kg ... Yes, it is rather heavy, and that's what has kept the acceleration lower than what some would have hoped. But Lexus is focussing on driveability, rather than straight-line acceleration. While some journalists have tested the RC F and were still less than satisfied with the handling, not all journalists were given the chance to test a car equipped with the Torque Vectoring Differential.

Yeah there are mixed reviews at the moment some love it some are not happy. Agree we need to wait for more testing especially on local roads/tracks however I agree it is way too heavy for what it is and some say they stuffed up the ride quality just like they did with the first IS-F...

I think I'll just wait it out and get into the next IS-F in 2-3 years when it comes out.

Yeah there are mixed reviews at the moment some love it some are not happy. Agree we need to wait for more testing especially on local roads/tracks however I agree it is way too heavy for what it is and some say they stuffed up the ride quality just like they did with the first IS-F...

There were more RC 350s on hand for journalists to test in upstate New York than RC Fs. I dare say there were only two RC Fs, only one of which had TVD fitted. TVD will be standard on all RC Fs sold in Australia, so at least half of the journalists' comments on handling - two out of three Australian reviews - are irrelevant. Of course, no journalist is going to make a 32,000 km return trip and admit that they reviewed a car that won't be sold here. (On the other hand, it was a fail by Lexus to offer so few RC Fs for review.)

As for ride quality ... the reviews compared the RC F's weight, acceleration and handling with performance cars like the M4, but compared ride quality with the RC 350, a non-performance car. Of course the ride quality is less than perfect in comparison: what do you expect with low-profile tyres and sports suspension?

As said I agree we need more local reviews to see the real thing. The weight is a big factor in any case but lets see how it turns out when we get our hands on one here. Saying that reading everywhere a lot of ///M enthusiasts are now considering the switch to F due to "M have lost their way by not building a unique engine for the new car just using a 4 series upgraded turbo unit" this says a lot for F making the right decision with sticking with a N/A engine lets see how well the rest of the package can deliver. It is too early to tell.

That's a bit porky to say the least... A sports coupe 150kg over the 4 door variant, no wonder they aimed for 40KW more.

Also, at that weight, it's no just straight line speed, but cornering will also be impacted.