Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres Installed! (245/35R19 275/30R19)

- Raven -

I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone that's interested.

I went for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in the popular upgrade size of 245/35R19 front, and 275/30R19 rear. It works out to be about an inch wider both front and back over the OEM 225/255 Bridgestones. The sidewalls are now pretty much straight up and down, they look so much nicer and fill out the guards better now.

Front:

_DSC3304Copy_zpsd5bb201d.jpg

_DSC3307Copy_zpsfa638317.jpg

Rear:

_DSC3305Copy_zpsb126a22a.jpg

_DSC3306Copy_zpsb0074a9c.jpg

Side shot:

_DSC3310Copy_zpscf7221ad.jpg

So, although it's only been a few days, I think I really like these new tyres! There is noticeably more grip! I'll have to drive the car more to make more of a comment about them, but at this stage I'm very happy with them!

If anyone wants any more photos to help them decide etc, just give me a yell.

Matty.

im running 255 and 275 on my set up

Conti contact sports

but soon changing to advan neovas

through my experience

having a quare set up tyres or close to square (ie 275F 275R) would eliminate the understeer on the ISF

Looks nice...

Any rubbing issues on full lock ? How much clearance is there on full lock.

Probably also worth checking the clearance when you have one tyre on a ramp; like entering a parking lot or even a driveway.

Looks nice...

Any rubbing issues on full lock ? How much clearance is there on full lock.

Probably also worth checking the clearance when you have one tyre on a ramp; like entering a parking lot or even a driveway.

I'll have to get under and have a look, but I'm guessing there will be tons...

Still got tons of room at the back too.

Conti contact sports

through my experience

having a quare set up tyres or close to square (ie 275F 275R) would eliminate the understeer on the ISF

I looked at those but these aren't XL load rated? Maybe Bridgestone RE11's might be the go?

I thought I would be able to notice the lighter Michelin tyres compared to the OEM Bridgestones (one reason I went for them), but can't lol! I might consider the heavier RE11's next time....

Are you running a square set up on your track beast?

Looks good! Nice choice of tyre too.

I don't rate Bridgestone anymore, there's far better tyres on the market & for less money. I considered PS3 for the rear of mine but went with F1 Asy2 instead. Got F1 Asy1 on the front so wanted matching. Paid about the same as RE002 go for as well.

Conti contact sports

through my experience

I looked at those but these aren't XL load rated? Maybe Bridgestone RE11's might be the go?

I thought I would be able to notice the lighter Michelin tyres compared to the OEM Bridgestones (one reason I went for them), but can't lol! I might consider the heavier RE11's next time....

Are you running a square set up on your track beast?

yeap the race car runs 295 square

what really worked for me is this setup 265R R888 and 245F Michelin Sport Cup this has eliminated nearly all understear as the cups have immense grip but wear quickly. The 888s have excellent traction even on full tilt from stand still and after 4 track days and approx 5K on the road they are still good. The cups only lasted 3 track days but they worth every penny.

Ok, a bit of an update. I've driven about 500kms on the new Michelins now, still early days, but I''m quite impressed!

Yep grip is certainly improved. After a drive when you feel the tyres, they are litterally sticky! It's been raining flat out up here in Darwin, and the new tyres are performing brilliant in the wet too. Very happy!

I can't notice any more or less tyre noise, and the ride seems similar too.

I'm still playing around with pressures, but they seem nice at around 38psi. What pressures are you guys running with wider tyres?

That's what I'm thinking. The tyre shop where I got my tyres mounted set them at 35 psi to start with. Way too low for my liking, tons of rolling resistance and made the car feel sloppy. I then pumped them up to 40 psi, much better, massive difference, but feels too hard and feel the grip suffers too much especially in the wet. I got to give the car a good flogging yesterday with them set at 38 psi, seems like a good setting. That's where I used to set my old Bridgestones too. I've been setting the pressures with a half decent tyre pressure gauge too, the local servo compressor isn't that accurate lol!

My OEM bridgestones usually are best around 36-38. I've found anything over 38 to offer slight less grip in the wet and a bit bumpier, but the steering feels a bit lighter on higher pressures.

BTW, do you have to check with the dealership to go for 245/265 setups - Due to Warranty issues ?

and the same for insurance - does it count as a mod?

I didnt check with anyone, but the tyres (245/275) are still a legal size for the car. Changing tyres isn't a modification either.

You must check with your own states laws, but for tyres, the law common to most states is the over all diameter of the new tyres can't be more or less than 15mm of the OEM sized tyre diameter.

The 245/35R19 is 7.6mm less diameter than the OEM 225/40R19 tyre size.

The 275/30R19 is 12.7mm less diameter than the OEM 255/35R19 tyre size.

For load rating, the tyres must be not less than what is OEM. For speed rating, they just have to be rated at least 180km/h (S) if the OEM tyres are rated higher than 180km/h (S). Our OEM tyre speed (Y) rating is 300km/h BTW.

Stock Bridgestone 225/40R19 is 93Y XL, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R19 is the same, 93Y XL

Stock Bridgestone 255/35R19 is 96Y XL, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/30R19 is the same, 96Y XL

Hope this helps. :)

I didnt check with anyone, but the tyres (245/275) are still a legal size for the car. Changing tyres isn't a modification either.

You must check with your own states laws, but for tyres, the law common to most states is the over all diameter of the new tyres can't be more or less than 15mm of the OEM sized tyre diameter.

The 245/35R19 is 7.6mm less diameter than the OEM 225/40R19 tyre size.
The 275/30R19 is 12.7mm less diameter than the OEM 255/35R19 tyre size.

Thanks for the detail, I understand it better now.

I did run some calculations on the rolling dia but the numbers I got are slightly different from the ones you put above...

225/40 on R19 is 2x(225x.4)+(19x2.54) = 228.26mm

and 245/35 on R19 using the above is 219.76 which is 8.5mm less and not 7.6mm.

Using this 275/30 is 13.5mm less than OEM.

Did you use a different formula ?