Hi,

I am interested in buying a 2IS 350 SL and notice that the prices at my most local Lexus dealership are much greater than others, to the region of $10-15k.

Has anyone any good advice on haggling with a Lexus dealership and share the level of achieved discount on the advertised price. I am thinking of buying via a novated lease so want nothing older than a 2011 model.

Many thanks.

Are you bound to a leasing company (corp policy)? I find Leaseplan competitive. They tendered my IS purchases to the various dealers for the lowest price. Once you have one, you can ask your local dealer to match or you just buy elsewhere. You can haggle upfront too of course, just be prepared with what prices others are offering. If you're being reasonable with your target, sales guys won't turn down comms.

They'd price to net buy, never discount.

Are you bound to a leasing company (corp policy)? I find Leaseplan competitive. They tendered my IS purchases to the various dealers for the lowest price. Once you have one, you can ask your local dealer to match or you just buy elsewhere. You can haggle upfront too of course, just be prepared with what prices others are offering. If you're being reasonable with your target, sales guys won't turn down comms.

They'd price to net buy, never discount.

I am tied to a particular lease company. As I am looking at used, I am doing the 'finding' myself. I really want to purchase from a Lexus dealership, but, the advertised prices are so much more.... I am curious to know how people have found Lexus dealerships for haggling? Will probably wait until the 2nd last weekend of the financial year to take advantage of year end target pressure.

BTW end of year sales mean you get less of a discount. You will get a better or just as good deal July 1st.

This is correct. You can usually get the same deal at any time, if anything end of the month could be a good time in case they haven't made their monthly targets

As for the dealerships they are okay to haggle with. On the two occasions I managed to get the cars I wanted for the price I wanted; the RX did take a lot of looking and patience though

BTW end of year sales mean you get less of a discount. You will get a better or just as good deal July 1st.

This is correct. You can usually get the same deal at any time, if anything end of the month could be a good time in case they haven't made their monthly targets

As for the dealerships they are okay to haggle with. On the two occasions I managed to get the cars I wanted for the price I wanted; the RX did take a lot of looking and patience though

depends on the demand of the car on the used market

i know the RX sells like a hotcake on the used market

hard to get a good deal on a RX

they know if you walk away they are going to sell it to the next person that comes

even on the private used market first person to come and see my rx bought it pretty much 1K off the asking price

Edited by ilv1004s

they know if you walk away they are going to sell it to the next person that comes

even on the private used market first person to come and see my rx bought it pretty much 1K off the asking price

Was after an ex-demo current shape RX350 with a budget of 65k; was difficult to get near it. After a lot of searching managed to find one for that price. The reason was that the interior was saddle tan (we wanted a dark interior) and that isn't a popular choice. Personally I think it looks better than black because it adds colour to the car. Cream looks awesome but it is too high maintenance.

Was after an ex-demo current shape RX350 with a budget of 65k; was difficult to get near it. After a lot of searching managed to find one for that price. The reason was that the interior was saddle tan (we wanted a dark interior) and that isn't a popular choice. Personally I think it looks better than black because it adds colour to the car. Cream looks awesome but it is too high maintenance.

that is a hard ask at 65K Well done mate

I didn't think that a 2nd hand car had to be bought from a dealer to qualify for "Novated Lease"?

And by accident I found that prices in QLD are by far the most reasonable - got my 2010 IS250 SL for a landed price of < $45 with 13800Km on the clock last year (From Lexus of Southport).

I didn't think that a 2nd hand car had to be bought from a dealer to qualify for "Novated Lease"?

And by accident I found that prices in QLD are by far the most reasonable - got my 2010 IS250 SL for a landed price of < $45 with 13800Km on the clock last year (From Lexus of Southport).

Thanks Subby, will take a look at interstate...did they transport it to you or did you drive it back yourself?

I know I can buy from any licensed dealer, a Lexus dealership is my preference as I feel for them to sell the car, to maintain their reputation, they would be confident of the cars condition. Maybe misguided logic...but I have had a disappointing experience before.

I too have only bought from Lexus dealers for precisely the same reasons, Melchels - your logic makes perfect sense !!

Drove it back, since I happened to be at the Gold Coast at the time.

A couple of points to note in my Interstate purchase:

The drive-away price was reduced by at least $2K, since the car had to be re-RWCd and registered in Victoria

Have never bought sight unseen and the price differential made it worth flying over to check out and drive back

Got road-worthy done by Lexus Brighton - costs more but any warranty item fixing got done at the same time

Car was perfectly road-worthy

Good luck

PM me if you want to talk further

I

Hi,

I am interested in buying a 2IS 350 SL and notice that the prices at my most local Lexus dealership are much greater than others, to the region of $10-15k.

Used car purchases are different to new car. I think a few people here have missed that you are buying a used car.

Two very similar used cars can vary in price because of the price they were obtained for.

If car A was traded in by a person that drove a hard deal then maybe car A cost the dealership more.

If car B was sold to the dealership by a person in a hurry, perhaps leaving to go overseas then maybe car B cost the dealership less.

No two used cars have the same cost.

Buy the one from the Lexus dealer that seems the best value and then just service it with your local dealership.

Dis-lex-sic, you have a point there!!

In my case mentioned above, the previous owner had just rocked up, handed the car in and drove off with a new RX.... !!!