Does anyone know exactly how this is achieved ? :

i would like my LED DRL's to illuminate when unlocking the vehicle, i think it's done by simply wiring the 100% LED brightness from the DRL (green Wire) to the Mirror Puddle lights:

i was just concerned a fuse or something might blow from the high load ? as the LEDS are 1W diodes each (thats why they dim in the video ?-high wattage ?) and the LED puddle lights are a couple of watts too.

Also what would happen if two power sources are connected to the DRL ? will a fuse blow ? or nothing ?lol, e.g. the headlights are on and the puddles are also on- will a fuse blow or will they just go to 100% ?

if wiring both 50% and 100% the 100% just overrrides it (i've tried that when installing the headlights)

OR is there a module or control box which can be wired up ?

I really like the look of this Mod, woudl love to know how its done. I think a post on some of the american forums would give you better results

Without too much electrical knowledge behind me, except for electronics class in high school, would using a second relay from here work?

Here is how I think it would work.. but happy for people to chime in and potentially stop me from breaking something haha.

Relay 1 is how you would wire it to function like OEM.

Add in Relay 2 on the right hand side and it would activate the LEDs only when the puddle lamps come on and the ignition is off.

If the ignition is on and the puddle lamps come on, then it won't send both power sources to the LEDs because relay 2 then sends the power to relay 1 to function as OEM.

10264237_10154193841040144_4284899090868

Without too much electrical knowledge behind me, except for electronics class in high school, would using a second relay from here work?

Here is how I think it would work.. but happy for people to chime in and potentially stop me from breaking something haha.

Relay 1 is how you would wire it to function like OEM.

Add in Relay 2 on the right hand side and it would activate the LEDs only when the puddle lamps come on and the ignition is off.

If the ignition is on and the puddle lamps come on, then it won't send both power sources to the LEDs because relay 2 then sends the power to relay 1 to function as OEM.

10264237_10154193841040144_4284899090868

Seems like alot of work can get slightly confusing by adding another set of relay's lol? i added my 2012 headlights on my 07 but just added a Toggle Switch to flick between 100% and 50% brightness on the DRL,

so i might try tapping into the 100% wire and feed it to the LED puddle wires, and see what happens, ( i dont have to remove bumper :) )

But What do u think will happen if the headlights are on and the LED puddles are on ? im thinking at worst a Fuse could blow?, the LEDs should be able to handle the load im guessing as they have resistors, etc.

ive tried wiring 50% and 100% at the same time and the 100% brightness just overrides the 50%,(nothing seems to get blown from that, so it should be alright?)

BTW you know when you have the tail lights ON and press the BRAKE pedal,

the BRAKE light looks like it's using the same LED bulb as the tail light,

isnt this the same sort of thing ?

LED tail light > using the same LED bulb as BRAKE LIGHT- double intensity ??

LED puddle > using the same LED bulb as DRL,??

If you had both the 50% and 100% wired at the same time with power going from both sources at once then I guess it's ok haha but don't quote me on that.

I think the worst that will happen sis the fuse will blow so it will be a simple fix.

I wired my lights with the 50/100 relay and a toggle switch to turn them completely off so might try adding in the second relay and see if it works.

Let me know how you go, good luck!

• 8 months later...

So did you guys end up getting this to work? Need to change my HID bulb soon, wanting to get this mod done while the headlight and bumper are off.

So did you guys end up getting this to work? Need to change my HID bulb soon, wanting to get this mod done while the headlight and bumper are off.

I wanna do this lol haven't got around to doing it yet, still unsure about a few things read below in bold,

Also you can change the headlight Globes without removing the bumper, just need to remove the air intake on the driver side for easier access, - dont start the car with the intake off.. i did this once (to test globes) and the engine kind of stalls for a sec, all was good though when i put it back. on the passenger side the wiper water (washer fluid) tube just needs to be removed (1 bolt), then you can reach that globe. its much easier than taking off the whole bumper.,

on the topic of the DRL illuminating when unlocking, i made an easy to read diagram (using the info), and i have Relay 1 in place ( the DRLS function like factory) - installed myself took many hours,

Relay 2 just taps into a few wires of that Relay 1 so i dont need to remove the bumper again... just the driver door panel to tap into the Puddle light..

i will try adding RELAY 2 soon, i just need to buy some extra wire, shrink tubes, etc.

i have 1 question on the diagram though, as member "unco" said in post #5

Does the IGN fuse wire from the relay #1 go to PIN 87 and 87a on RELAY #2 ??

As one says "IGNITION" and the other says pin 30 of relay 1, which is the "IGNITION"?.. Just wanted to be sure before I attempt,

Here is the diagram I made using the info ; led_wiring_harness_made_by_storm.png

http://postimg.org/image/o46d5bu7v/full/

man, this appears to be more complicated than I thought...

Ok, I'll do some research and we can share notes.

• 1 month later...

Did any one get this done.

If you find an auto elec tht knows his way around lexus/ toyoda its easy.

Let me know what it costs if you get it done.

• 1 month later...

lexus_2is_led_drl_headlamp_wiring_%2528p

Ok I found this diagram on the net. You cannot just simply "wire the mirror puddle lights to it." The mirror puddle lights is a negative switched PWM signal. You will need to convert this to a clean positive switched signal to feed into the headlight DRL 100% circuit. Without the rest of the circuit I cannot tell if this DRL 100% circuit is dedicated to the headlights only or the IGN circuit for other things in the car. If its a shared circuit you would need to add a diode so your mirror puddle lights doesn't turn everything else on in the car (although that would be cool).

I can make a circuit that will convert your mirror puddle light signal to the correct signal. But I will need someones car to try it on as my car does not have DRL.

Ok guys. Ive done this to multiple members cars and is simple in theory but takes about an hour to do. The reason i have stopped offering to do this i dont have the time and i can not afford to replace your ecu due to slight differences from model to model. The risk is financially to high for me to take on someone elses car.

I used a DPDT relay with IGN2 source and Puddle lamp source also with a dedicated 12v for the entire DRL system. I also used another relay in series with this relay to create a true 50% DRL when parking lights were turned on.

You will have to disconnect the DRLs from the existing system due to Lexus ECU using resistive switching to turn things on and off. If you do not you will get stray voltages that will harm your ECU.

Lexus does not use traditional methods of switching they use a more technological millivolt and resistive switching setup in all thier circuit boards chips and ECUs.

If you want to achieve this DRL trick i suggest strongly that you disconnect the DRLs from the ECU and wire in your own setup so you do not harm the ECU as fingering with the electronics does not get you a replacement ECU under warranty!!

Good Luck !!

Planktoon007 may still have a video of one of the setups.

• 4 months later...

Ok guys. Ive done this to multiple members cars and is simple in theory but takes about an hour to do. The reason i have stopped offering to do this i dont have the time and i can not afford to replace your ecu due to slight differences from model to model. The risk is financially to high for me to take on someone elses car.

I used a DPDT relay with IGN2 source and Puddle lamp source also with a dedicated 12v for the entire DRL system. I also used another relay in series with this relay to create a true 50% DRL when parking lights were turned on.

You will have to disconnect the DRLs from the existing system due to Lexus ECU using resistive switching to turn things on and off. If you do not you will get stray voltages that will harm your ECU.

Lexus does not use traditional methods of switching they use a more technological millivolt and resistive switching setup in all thier circuit boards chips and ECUs.

If you want to achieve this DRL trick i suggest strongly that you disconnect the DRLs from the ECU and wire in your own setup so you do not harm the ECU as fingering with the electronics does not get you a replacement ECU under warranty!!

Good Luck !!

Planktoon007 may still have a video of one of the setups.

Does this diagram look correct ? i think it does,

i constrcuted it with the help of ICU2 on the forum

14439214131.jpg

from the diagram u can see the DRL light will not illuminate if the headlights are already on ( if the 50% wire has been triggered) i think

and there are two relays, (SPDT relay)

1. which controls the DRL brightness, and

2. which will illuminate the led DRL when unlocking the vehicle

Edit : i attempted this install today, and no luck.....

Basically i wired the Positive wire (+) from the mirror puddle lights to Pin 86 on the second new relay, every other wire taps into the others on the first relay, (except the IGN power wire)

(ground wire to pin 85 on new relay),

(and 87 to LED 100% on new relay)),

and the IGN power wire went to pin 30 on the new relay,

(87a is Blank - terminated wire)

when plugging in the New second Relay i do hear a Click, meaning the relay is working, not sure which wire to change, i tried wiring the negative puddle light wire to pin 86 and that didn't work either, i think it might be activating the 87a which has nothing, which is why they don't illuminate when unlocking.

LED DRLs still work fine when starting the engine.

Also in the diagram the LED drls are running on a Relay (Not using headlight ECU).

if anyone can help would be great, ill try tomorrow

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Can someone tell me in English & in female how to get my replacement headlights to get the LED strip to work? No buttons would turn it on and I'm pretty sure the mechanic that put it in is over the whole situation. Please help. 2011 is250