Looking For Isf For My Retiring Dad :)

kil41t

Hi Guys,

My Dad is looking at getting an ISF. Here are the specs that he is after. If anyone can help or is looking to sell please let me know.

- MY10 onwards

- Under 80 000 km

- No blue or red colour

- No creme interior

- Max price $50K. Has cash waiting.

- NSW registration. Sydney area preferred.

- Service history, no accidents, clean car etc.

Contact me on 0424488889 if you can help.

Cheers
Marvin

pretty sharp on the pricing...I think it's unusual to find someone selling under the lower range of the redbook private price guide even taking into account hard negotiation. Many vehicles are advertised well above redbook - not that they are all justified, but good cars won't dip below redbook in my experience. I say this having just bought an MY12 and selling a euro convertible and japanese sports car.

oh there's a few 08 on carsale <$50k most above 80k kms

2008 Lexus IS F Sports Luxury Sports Automatic

this one is pretty good @ 63k kms

The ACT MY10 with 89k is prob the keenest MY10 advertised:

2010 Lexus IS F MY10 Sports Automatic

Yeah prices are dropping on them and 08 models are advertised for below $50k now.

It is keen pricing that we are after. I expect prices to drop some more with the RCF and the cars aging. We are willing to wait until first half of next year which I expect more MY10 models to be around the $50K - $55K range without negotiation.

I know you guys dont want to hear this but prices are dropping. As posted above there is a MY10 for $56K at 89000kms. In QLD there is a silver MY10 asking $56K with 70000kms. This is before negotiation.

I am being optimistic looking at $50K but its not far off from asking prices now. Just have a look at carsales.

ah yeah i know the cars

they been on there for a while

people who are desperate will sell their cars at lower prices which is what the silver and black ISF seem to be like

go for those guys

but 50K is not actually the true value

and you may find that those people at the lower price range will not negotiate a big amount as they already know that they are cheapest on the market

for example if you picked up a ISF for 30K with high kms and the guy was desperate to sell it does mean the ISF are now worth 30K

as you said if u look on car sales

majority of my10+ are up in the 60K range thats the going price

lower teir cars in the 50K region does not represent true market price of the car

as being said

welcome to the F club (for your dad)

and hope you find a bargain

Putting it in that perspective I see where you are coming from. I'm looking for a bargain for my Dad so will see how we go.

Worst case is he will get a really good IS350 F Sport. Not really in the same league of cars but its an option being considered.

Putting it in that perspective I see where you are coming from. I'm looking for a bargain for my Dad so will see how we go.

Worst case is he will get a really good IS350 F Sport. Not really in the same league of cars but its an option being considered.

well 350Fsport is a great car

but i would wait out untill a good bargain comes along

a 350 doesnt not even compare to the ISF

You'll be lucky to get one at that price, although being patient sometimes pays off. I bought my MY11 in January this year for $60k. Most at the time were $15k - $30k more, but the guy I bought from simply put it on for the trade-in price he was offered when he bought his new Audi. I tried to haggle but he knew it was already a good price so I agreed to pay. At the time there was one identical to mine advertised for $92k; it's still for sale 10 months later for $79k!!

Having been a buyer and soon owner (my IS F is in transit) it's an interesting proposition beating the prices down. Sure, you don't want to pay more than you have to, but that bargaining is contributing to lowering stock prices on your own investment into the depreciating asset :wacko: The moment you own it you want to see how buoyant the values are instead of watching them plummet!

As Danny said - not realistic to expect significant lower offers on the cheapest advertised cars to be considered. It's not hard to compare with only 40-odd carsales listings to know what is keenly priced and what is a tell'im he's dreaming! price, but conversely it's pretty easy for seller to gauge what their car is worth too. Doesn't hurt to try the cash offer - just expect the justified retort if there's a pile of mor expensive cars above it.

As RC F writing down values - I'm not convinced, it has sticker of $170k, is a coupe. I don't see them selling as well as against BMW as it no longer has the price advantage the IS F had against M3 & C63. The next 5L saloon will be the GS F in 2016 - different beast, it is no longer in the same vein (small sedan / big engine). I see IS F is future classic, it was initally a hardcore (almost to a fault), performance flagship model to legitimise the F-sport and launch the brand to gain momentum against the established M, S and AMG.

Everyone has presented good arguments and logic for why a MY10 is $60K+. However you cant really go against redbook which clearly shows the cars in that range are over valued.

Here is an excerpt for the MY10.

* Private Price Guide $52,800 - $57,800

* Trade In Price Guide $45,700 - $50,700

* Average Km 40,000 - 70,000

* Price When New $126,800*

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2010-lexus-is-f-use20r-544726?R=544726&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Even the MY11 is in the $60-$65K range.

* Private Price Guide $59,400 - $65,000

* Trade In Price Guide $51,900 - $57,500

So the 2 keenly priced MY10's on carsales are actually realistic prices.

Everyone has presented good arguments and logic for why a MY10 is $60K+. However you cant really go against redbook which clearly shows the cars in that range are over valued.

Here is an excerpt for the MY10.

* Private Price Guide $52,800 - $57,800

* Trade In Price Guide $45,700 - $50,700

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2010-lexus-is-f-use20r-544726?R=544726&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Even the MY11 is in the $60-$65K range.

* Private Price Guide $59,400 - $65,000

* Trade In Price Guide $51,900 - $57,500

So the 2 keenly priced MY10's on carsales are actually realistic prices.

havent bought many presteige or rare cars have you

redbook only really applies to commodores and falcons and rest of your main stream cars

ISF isnt a main stream car

there are 100 or less sold in 1 year (lexus australia allocation)

Market price = what the car goes on for sale in the private sale market

which does not mean redbook pricing

you can argue all day that this is redbook pricing

at the end of the day you find a car that you like and the owner wants 65K for it

no matter how much reasoning and redbook facts u throw at his face

hes not going to sell it to you for 50K

common misconception that people have

a car is only worth what the buyer is wanting to pay

but look at the other way around

a buyer can not buy the car for what he or she likes if the seller doesnt agree

• Like 1

heres an intresting fact and evidence of my argument

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2003-lamborghini-gallardo--77480?R=77480&Silo=spec&Vertical=car&Ridx=1&eapi=2

i dont see any gallardos being sold for under 120K

antoher example

BMW M3s are suppose to be worth 40-50K in redbook

dont see any of them selling for that low

Redbook research does not focus on private sales transactions. They rely on auction houses, motor dealers, automative classifieds websites which would influence their private guide to down to wholesale/trade prices. If Redbook collected transaction data from all state and territory RTA then we'd have very good idea of what vehicles are changing hands for, assuming fudging figures to save rego transfer tax isn't a major issue - how many have rounded down figures to minimise the 3% tax?

Given Redbook don't claim to have access to this wealth of government generated transactional data, safe to say they don't use it. So you can take your private price guides with big grain of salt - as Danny said for run-of-the-mill volume vehicles it's probably on the money, step out of the mainstream and it's just a rough indication and usually just plain unrealistic.

While Redbook is generally regarded as leading valuer for the industry - think about the motivations of this 'industry' - primarly wholesalers and financiers who's main interest is, respectively to bleed you dry in trade and set v. conservative residual values so that neither is out of pocket!

Maybe an IS350 F Sport would be a better option to suit the 50k budget. Redbook prices are nothing to go by. For reference my mate has just purchased a 2012 Pearl white IS350 F Sport with 13,000ks for 49k. (Mind you, you can get one a lot cheaper with higher ks)

Well we just have to agree to disagree on this. Interesting arguments have been presented. I don't really agree because as Mark has posted about Redbook thats the prices the wholesalers and people in the industry use then that is what will drive the prices.

When it comes to vehicle sales there will always be sales higher then Redbook and those that are below Redbook prices.

Scott, my dad has been considering the IS350 but that is not the preferred car so I told him to push the budget to get the ISF as he will be happy with that in the long run.

Well we just have to agree to disagree on this. Interesting arguments have been presented. I don't really agree because as Mark has posted about Redbook thats the prices the wholesalers and people in the industry use then that is what will drive the prices.

When it comes to vehicle sales there will always be sales higher then Redbook and those that are below Redbook prices.

Scott, my dad has been considering the IS350 but that is not the preferred car so I told him to push the budget to get the ISF as he will be happy with that in the long run.

yes you have stated the point here

there will be sales higher than redbook and those are below redbook

lets just say theres 20 MY10 ISF for sale for argument sake

and 5 of them are placed in the 50K region and 15 are in the 60K region

that means the realistic price is the 15 ISF in the 60K region not the minority in the 50K region

minority > Majority

Edited by ilv1004s

• 2 weeks later...

nope only 2011 Specs come with that cluster

2010 specs will not come

only time you will find it is a 2010 MY11 Spec

so which means it is made in late 2010 but has 2011 spec/build on it

and those cars are MY11 and in the 70K budget

August was the change over for model update, so car built after this month will be the next MY spec, I have also seen the next MY update (but built in the previous year) referred to as Upgrade spec.

According to media reports the late 2010 model (MY11) gained suspension geometry changes (new camber settings, recalibrated front & rear spring and shock rates, modified suspension arm and anti-roll bar bushes) daytime running lights and the new instrument cluster, became Euro-5 compliant, blacked-out headlight lenses, dark metallic engine cover, extra support in driver's seat, revised steering wheel, carbon-fibre console inserts.

The Torsen LSD was introduced in mid 2009.

MY12 update gained new low-friction shocks by German Sachs coupled with increased spring rates (front & rear) to improve low speed comfort while maintainiing flat-ride and stability at high-speed. MY12 also introduced new style BBS alloys, front width increased 8 to 8.5".

Thanks for that run down Mark. Very useful to know. So really the MY10 spec is really the first spec like the 2008 models as there are no differences? Need a MY11 for any changes to have occurred...