Rcf Track Day + Top Gear

FrankyX

I was one of the fortunate Lexus owners to attend the RC-F track day earlier this week (Tuesday / AM session).

In summary, we were each presented with the opportunity to drive an ISF, RC350 F Sport & NX 300H (not sure about a Hybrid at a track day, but anyway). I personally haven't experienced a track drive before and was super excited. The NX was a waste of time, comfortable, but not suited for the track (obviously); the RC350 was a familiar ride to my IS350 FSport and was a pleasure to throw around the corners and hit 190km/h in the straight and the ISF, just wow.

Next up... the RC-F. Only one lap, so had to make it count. However, in my mind, I had the words from Jeremy Clarkson in the latest episode of Top Gear shown only the day before:

He says:

It's really fat - weighs almost 2t

A race against an M4 - the BMW just walks away. RC-F has 40 more HP, but was humiliated.

Enormous weight, no good in the corners.

Doesn't matter which drive mode selected, yards and yards of understeer and electronic interference

"I really don't like this car, don't like the way it looks, goes, feels"

What really annoys me is that I know Lexus can do SO MUCH BETTER... cue LFA

So with these words in the back of my mind, I was a little weary of what to expect. Sure, I know Top Gear is heavily scripted and planned, but he does give an honest, no bulls**t approach. After all, his favourite car is a Lexus - the LFA.

As mentioned, only one lap, not a huge opportunity, but from what I experienced, not a great deal of acceleration off the mark, yes a stack of understeer and felt like I was fighting the car to get it in the corner. I hit 215kph on the straight and was nice and stable at that speed. Brakes were impressive and otherwise very responsive.

My verdict :

Would I buy one? No, not yet. If I want a high performance V8 coupe now, i'd be shopping elsewhere.

But... if Lexus was to create a lighter and more stable V8 coupe with a 'more modern' engine, then yes, I'd consider dropping $150k their way. Their competition right now is thinking about the future where Lexus more so seems to be dressing up the past.

Brilliant post, couldn't agree more. I was disappointed in the 3IS release, and the RCF unfortunately just continues this trend of dated technology with new sheetmetal. And again, how old is the 3IS (and therefore the RC) going to look in 3-5 years when the next generation of 3 series is released.

From your drive it sounds comparable to a US modern muscle car - Mustang GT or Challenger RT - great in a straight line but not much in the twisty stuff. And with the Mustang coming here with much better than expected pricing (less than $60k for the V8), why would anyone choose an RC-F beyond the badge and some leather ?

Brilliant post, couldn't agree more. I was disappointed in the 3IS release, and the RCF unfortunately

Have you driven an RC-F?

Or are you basing this on your 13 year old IS300?

FrankyX did you notice a difference between the RC350F and your IS350F?

As the RC has rear steer.

Good write up too.

• Like 1

I didn't notice the rear steer and couldn't compare cos I didn't drive my car on the track. Best comparison would be to do a normal road drive with the RC.

I asked for one as loan car for service, no luck.

After all, who really drives these cars on a track (other than Danny)?

I'm not in the market for a 2 door car (2 kids) yet, maybe in 5 years or so, we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Alot of disapointment in the RCF wide spread.

Franky whats your opinion of the RCF as a street vehicle though. The majority of buyers may only track it once. Maybe not at all.

Majority of buyers would only be doing spirated street / twisty speed limited corner hugging.

I took a Titanium RC 350 F Sports for a drive in December last year, & went for a drive in a White Nova RCF in March this year.

They were both very nice to drive on the road, the RCF did feel better with all the extra bits & V8. The steering wheel in both felt great, the seat feels like it was moulded from my back, and those 255 wide front tyres gives you so much grip & confidence, it feel like it is just stuck to the road. The body is very stiff with good sound proofing, that's why the RCF weighs 1800kg. It's a vehicle that anyone could drive fast. on the road the RCF feels nicer than my ISF. go for a drive yourself, they will surprise you.

post-7988-0-39958600-1429769248_thumb.jp

post-7988-0-89507000-1429769251_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I took a Titanium RC 350 F Sports for a drive in December last year, & went for a drive in a White Nova RCF in March this year.

They were both very nice to drive on the road, the RCF did feel better with all the extra bits & V8. The steering wheel in both felt great, the seat feels like it was moulded from my back, and those 255 wide front tyres gives you so much grip & confidence, it feel like it is just stuck to the road. The body is very stiff with good sound proofing, that's why the RCF weighs 1800kg. It's a vehicle that anyone could drive fast. on the road the RCF feels nicer than my ISF. go for a drive yourself, they will surprise you.

I wouldn't say that anyone can drive RC-F fast. I would say that it's actually pretty hard to drive it really fast :)