Now, About This Gearshift! - Survey

I am still agonising about whether an is250 would suit me.

Unrealistic prices on Carsales aside, it comes down to whether the manual gearshift is acceptable.

I am not even considering Automatics - I like Manuals.

On another thread a couple of Members of this Forum provided helpful comments on the 'quality' of the Manual gearshift.

I would like to get a few more opinions if possible as there is little likelihood of my being able to try a Manual where I live (in the sticks).

The best gearshift I have ever experienced was on a new 1976 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe I owned for several years.

My Mazda MX5 (2001) is good but nothing on the Fiat.

My idea of a 'bad' gearshift is an old Toyota Corolla. Clunky, no 'feel' of a gearbox attached.

The is250, being front engine/rear wheel drive, SHOULD have a reasonable gearshift but that is NOT what I'm hearing.

If you have any experience of a Manual is250, please tell me about it in detail. Compare it to something else you have driven. Thanks.

I haven't driven any other manual cars except a Hyundai A ccent manual and to be honest the gearbox in the IS really sucks, I have a single mass flywheel and the box gets really loud. The dual mass is more quieter and smoother but it revs slower in neutral. Gearbox is quite clunky and rough but I've never tried a new gear box so...

I have the manual and have gotten used to it, but it is in fact terrible. I came from a 5 speed XR6 Turbo and that transmission was infinitely better then the Lexus'. Will be getting a short shifter soon so hopefully that makes it a little less clunky ...

I have the manual and have gotten used to it, but it is in fact terrible. I came from a 5 speed XR6 Turbo and that transmission was infinitely better then the Lexus'. Will be getting a short shifter soon so hopefully that makes it a little less clunky ...

tony short shifter wont make it less cluncky it just make the gear throws shorter feeling less like a truck

the actual problem is the dual mass flywheel and the clutch it carries

Thanks Guys. What a shame that such a good vehicle was afflicted with such a bad manual gearbox.

In all other respects, the is250 is pretty much my ideal medium sedan. Good looks, beautifully put together, great little motor - a real quality product.

I have been doing a bit of research on the net and it is clear that there are several issues, not just the feel of the gearshift.

Oh well, the only plus is that I didn't find out after I'd bought one.