Isf Exhaust

Artyisf

I'm thinking of getting back into an ISF, I've got a modded R35 now and I do too many kms for work and my last ISF was one of the best all around cars I've owned.

I'm keen on an XForce exhaust, headers and Joe Z intake. I plan on buying a 2014 if I can find what I want at a decent price (they're a bit thin on the ground). 

Anyway, are Lexus of Chatswood still installing PPE headers? I read Sikky are also available in RHD?

swap the 35 for a 2011? haha joking

wow that says a lot the fact that your going back to an F... 

im sure a very clean 13/14 will come up shortly :)

talk to MR2QIK he just had PPE's installed.

so from speaking with Peter @ Kirrawee and a few of the guys who have had this fitted I believe the ISF version is basically the IS250/350 x force system?

from the website the 250/350 ver.

compared to the ' isf version ' what I think is the mid section is the same, the axle back section has been flipped and different mufflers replaced the 250/350 versions.

and guessing hanger locations are the same? 

someone should try and invidia 250/350 with custom mufflers on an F ;)

ES-LI350-01.jpg

2 hours ago, Vaku said:

swap the 35 for a 2011? haha joking

wow that says a lot the fact that your going back to an F... 

im sure a very clean 13/14 will come up shortly :)

talk to MR2QIK he just had PPE's installed.

The car is mental fast in all conditions and an ok daily driver but the Lexus ISF is a better all around car. Sounds heaps better too; but it is much, much slower lol (especially since my GTR has 410awkw now). 

The Lexus is better of fuel, more reliable, more comfortable, more practical, not as wide so easier to get (safer) parks, easier on and much cheaper tyres, cheaper services (when trans services of GTR considered) and less mods I'd want to do so money saved there lol. And the average person thinks it's an IS250 not a hoon mobile :) 

On 2/5/2016 at 9:34 PM, MR2QIK said:

Can't comment on X-Force, as I haven't seen it in person. But I'm a very happy camper now with my Borla exhaust, high flow cats & PPE headers. Injen intake too.

Sounds fkn awesome (car looks sweet too). Any power figures? Where'd you get the headers installed? 

some quick driving footage for those asking re drone.

dyno pull from clublexus

" local shop had a grand opening so i went to support the homie... did 2 pulls.

stock other that afe filter with hps arm, and x force full catback. put down 360hp with 334 torque. runs are in 4th gear."

On 17/02/2016 at 0:16 PM, Ezo said:

Sounds fkn awesome (car looks sweet too). Any power figures? Where'd you get the headers installed? 

Cheers. No new power figures since header install. It's noticeably faster though. Problem is the ecu has to "adapt" to it before its full potential is realised. Truly a worthwhile mod. TNK Automotive installed them (Girraween). They've done it many times hence I went with them.

On 17/02/2016 at 3:00 PM, Artyisf said:

Did you notice big difference with headers? Also sound wise did it get louder on idle or just overall 

Yes on all fronts. I'm eager to take it to WSID once the weather cools so I can go hunting C63's & M3's.

Idle is a bit louder, although with AC on, it has a nice louder angry lump about it. Cruising etc is louder too, but not bad in my opinion. I found the Borla a bit quiet over time, so the increase was just what I wanted. I've heard the car from outside & it's by no means antisocial when cruising, but comes alive under WOT.

When Danny heard it, he demanded he take it for a drive straight away....lol

Sounds like pretty much zero drone?

Can't wait to see how you go at WSID. What intake do you have?

Highest trap no NOS is around 120mph in the states (and a high 11). But that's a 2008 model, so not Euro 5 compliant, I do wonder what affect that has on power as often and people mention the earlier cars seem to be fastest. Weight reduction helps, tyres and launch matters a lot.

If you run anything under 12.4s that's moving IMO. 

Not sure if I could say there's zero drone, as I could hear a hint of it at the start, but I think it's almost gone now. From outside, the car still isn't loud, especially compared to many of the HSV's & SS's going around. I certainly do prefer the sound/volume now.

I have an Injen intake. Anyone's welcome to join me when I go, likely early April if the weather's ok & the night's are getting colder. I don't honestly think any MY ISF is faster than another (straight line wise with exception of possible LSD advantages), but I do think that those who open theirs up often enough, have had their ECU's self learn more favourably. When I go, I'll go completely street spec, will merely remove the junk from the car :) At most, perhaps the spare tyre & jack. I have Bridgestone Potenza S001's, which hook up nicely. I'm not a stranger to drag racing (have a 10sec MR2 turbo & low 11sec single turbo FD RX7), & don't expect the ISF to be as challenging, but yes those factors do help a lot. Will soften up my rear dampers as much as possible, to try induce a "squat" for traction. Honestly have no idea what to expect, the only chance I have of getting near the US guys times (caymandrive mainly) is if WSID is well prepared (it's been a bit slow/slippery lately) & if the weather is good. WSID altitude isn't bad, but not as good as the track Caymandrive went to which was 0 elevation. Don't think his car would be faster than mine or the many others like it on equal terms. I'm more interested in having a good run against a C63 & M3.

Sounds like you really know what you're doing. Very keen to see how you go, especially against any M3s or C63s. The ISF is no slouch with the right mods, despite what people think. 

Also, love you've got a rotary! I've had a tonne but only have a stock S2 low kms RX7 now. 

On 22/02/2016 at 10:31 PM, Ezo said:

Sounds like you really know what you're doing. Very keen to see how you go, especially against any M3s or C63s. The ISF is no slouch with the right mods, despite what people think. 

Also, love you've got a rotary! I've had a tonne but only have a stock S2 low kms RX7 now. 

Go the rotors! The 13B is the polar opposite to the 2UR V8 in the ISF.

Will try take vids via GoPro or something. I am a bit wary of C63's though. A workshop near me (Ramspeed) have supercharged quite a few in recent times. I'd have a go, but safe to say it wouldn't be the ISF's finest moment.

The choked up stock 12A in my RX7 is the opposite of all modern engines haha. 

Good luck, looking forward to the video!

On 12/2/2016 at 6:43 PM, BULLIT said:

Yep the ISS was boomy and did drone but do sound good on the outside of car. I'm waiting for the x force Varex system, it's on back order until after Chinese New Year.

Hi all, just registered, first post :-)  Was glad to discover this forum, some great reading on here after coming from a WRX and Rexnet.

Im happy with the performance of my stock ISF but miss the rumble of a boxer motor, nothing a V8 cant match though so i too have a Varex system on order as i leave the house 5am and can see the appeal in keeping it quiet whilst i leave the neighbourhood.

Xforce actually contacted me today and advised it could be a few further months away so they want me to bring my car in to install a 350 exhaust.  Apparently minor modifications to make it fit the ISF but it wont compromise anything regarding sound, performance etc.  I think its more to do with the fittment.

So for anyone who is after a varex one could be waiting a while.  Anyway getting it installed this Friday so hoping it sounds good, raw, not over the top and there is minor to good power gains although im really doing it for the sound.

After coming from a highly modified Rex, a close to stock performance besides an exhaust of course appeals to me.

BLK ISF I was told the same thing by the guy who helped design the system (re 350) I believe they just flip the rear section and change the mufflers to suit the F!

Personally im very happy with the non-varex system but think the varex is a great idea for the best of both worlds scenario! especially as you mentioned re 5am - the cold start on non varex would piss off your postcode lol..

I was advised that america / europe etc get first dibs on the varex which is the reason for the backlog/delay on this system.

An alternative would be talk to x force and ask when th varex comes in to just swap the mufflers.

we need to make some flyby videos I think - MR2QIK you in? we know where this can be done right? ;)

Vaku, Xforce told me some of the delay was due to chinese new yr.  I was initially told a small batch was being made to be shipped out but a few days ago led to believe they hadnt even started manufacturing of new systems.

I havent seen a comparison of both systems up close so thanks for the heads up about the changes.  They assured me no compromise in performance etc otherwise i would of waited as i have been for the last few months. 

I know in the states there are other butterfly valve type setups but just couldnt justify the extra $$.  I mean upto 4k+ for an exhaust.  similar lengths, s/steel etc.  I cant fathom why it should cost so much more vs other performance cars which are close to the 2k mark for full turbo back/cat back systems besides the Lexus brand of course lol. I had been through many systems with the WRX, all varying quality of welds, flow, mufflers etc but in the end of the day, they are were similar.

Im not surprised the states etc get first dibs, when i first researched the ISF online before buying one, most of the search results was from the states whether that be the forums, youtube clips etc.  So common over there unlike here.  All i see here are C63's but ive heard horror stories regarding snapping head bolts or something along those lines.

Either way im getting it fitted tomorrow so fingers crossed im happy with it.  Ive read the mixed results regarding the quality.  Most seem positive regarding the sound etc.  Im sure it will all be good :-)

Well it took longer than expected but got the modified IS350 Varex system finally installed on my ISF today at the XForce head office.  Damn their warehouse is massive, its not far off the same size as Costco lol just filled with boxes of exhausts. There was quiet moments but whilst waiting in their office on and off, their phones kept ringing. I was surprised how many people were calling enquiring about the Varex exhausts, more popular than i thought.

Anyway was really pleasantly surprised with the overall result.  I opted for the stock look so with the quad standard tips remaining, its hard to tell at a glance there is an aftermarket exhaust.  When closed id say its close to stock if not a touch quieter (idle and when in motion).  When you rev though, it still has that engine snarl

When button B is pressed and the valve opens, on idle its subtle but you can definitely hear the heavier lumpy idle.  Subtle but nice.  Out in the open not that noticeable but im sure in a block of flats, garage etc you can definitely hear the heavier idle.

I asked them to do a dB reading as i was curious.  I knew it would be over 90dB but was shocked that after testing it, it came in at 91dB.  My WRX was about 98dB, and from within the cabin, my ISF now sounds about the same in loudness compared to my WRX so i was shocked as its definitely the loudest 91dB exhaust ive ever heard.  I mean it almost passes the legal limit.  Even the installer was surprised and he did carry out the test at the correct RPM, angle, distance to muffler etc

In side when driving it sounds great, well to me.  No boom, nice note when cruising and on WOT, my jaw hurts from smiling too much :-)  Definitely got more stares in traffic today so that itself tells me it can be easily heard outside.

Overall im a happy customer.  Havent put it on a dyno but based on my seats of the pants dyno, it definitely feels snappier to me and more pull on WOT.  Of course trying not be  biased in that louder does not mean faster lol

Just need to return to pick up the stock exhaust as it wouldnt fit in my boot without cutting it up which neither of us thought wise in case i sell the car in the near future so ill return with a bigger car for that.

My only gripe is that the module needs to be plugged in the cig lighter.  Ill address this later when i get time to wire it too ignition or something like that.

Now i just need to decide where to mount the remote for quick easy access vs having the remote loose lying around in the car.

nice impressions glad your enjoying it and yep best of both worlds!

I was going to add the varex mufflers if the non varex annoyed me but so far so good!

post some vids when you can :)

BLK ISF

Glad to hear you get the sore jaw syndrome also,. nice isn`t. All you need now is the K & N intake and happy days ! ! ! !

From the first day i fitted my xforce system the wife says that i smile all the time haha. Mind you the wife hogs the car. So if you do not have it, fit the intake and it will be even harder to wipe that smile off.  

BLK ISF thanks for taking your time to write up a great review mate , i am sure you are over the moon with it :D .

i am going for Xforce as well however  have to wait 4-6 weeks for new stock coming in  : ( 

Based on Vaku video , i am going for non Varex system first to see how it goes .

PeterKay : just wondering is K&N intake just for sound ? I heard it seems to be suffered heat soak , isnt it ? 

TIA guys 

Dcsrs200

Hey buddy do yourself a favour &  read this article. It sold me.

As for heat soak, any car stuck on the dyno, hot day in traffic etc etc will suffer from it. As for just only for sound no. Definitely more go as well as noise on WOT. Me myself i cannot fault the K & N intake at all, very happy with it.  

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1827/Project-Lexus-IS-F-Part-1-We-Test-the-KN-Typhoon-High-Flow-Air-Intake.aspx