Isf Exhaust

Artyisf

On 3/9/2016 at 7:01 PM, asadk316 said:

Hey there,

Just thought i would add to this thread with my exhaust.

I had it custom made from Budget Exhaust in condell park NSW. Couldnt sit and wait for xforce on back order.

Made full mild steel, dual 2.5 all the way, magnaflow centre muffler with internal Xpipe chamber (fitted later so pictured separate), stock rear mufflers modified to 2.5in inlets.

I will be adding a second inlet to the mufflers to increase flow as someone in the states has done on the club lexus forums (flowrider/lou). Keeps sound to a minimum but still has the V8 note/ humming.

Cant say if it drones as everyone responds to it different.

Once i add the secondary inlets the mufflers will get painted in black also.

Thinking of throwing on some hot dog resonators where the diff is like the other systems have. Really just experimenting for the best combo. I think most exhaust shops can do this cheaper than any off the shelf system.

Overall happy with it so far

Will be going for a flash tune at SAS Automotive for $1400 after i either get a set of PPE headers or Gut the cats (still deciding).

20160218_111253.jpg

20160218_111303.jpg

20160218_111321.jpg

20160218_111334.jpg

20160304_080131.jpg

20160304_080210.jpg

I've just spoken to them as I can't wait for stock levels to replenish and I am not entirely sold on the Xforce to be honest. Any chance perhaps maybe to to audition yours please?

Whilst i was initially impressed, at the moment the Xforce Varex system on my ISF has been a disappointment of late.  Ive been down to their factory numerous times over the last week or so and also to Dick Smith and Jaycar to fix the exhaust.

Im heading there tomorrow as a last resort as i have told them ive had enough of the problems.

When working the exhaust sounds great, throaty on acceleration etc but not too loud or droned when idling.  In fact when idling (with A/C off) its not even that noticeable sometimes uness in a carpark or something like that.

Problem is the valve that opens often doesnt respond.  The remotes are good, no battery issues there.  One occasion it was the earth in the cigarette lighter adaptor itself, sot that was resoldered.  Then it was a fuse so changed that.  I havent got it hardwired into the car yet as ive read some bad stories about poor installation regarding that and besides the system comes with the cigarette adaptor so it should work with it.  Now again fuse keeps blowing despite using the suggested amps, from 10-15 etc.

As its not that loud id prefer to just use normal xforce mufflers vs the varex design as its become a real pain the as#

Sorry to hear. I nearly paid a deposit for one of these but I did some more research, I phoned around and asked all the reputable exhaust shops around Sydney and the majority suggested to stay away from these systems due to quality issues which you have just confirmed unfortunately. I am going to get the PPE system from the US. Its much more expensive but excellent quality.

Dont get me wrong, their customer service is there, they are trying to resolve my issues etc.  Overall when working, again the sound and performance (seat of my pants indicator lol) is impressive.  Its just stupid things like wiring, earths, fuses etc.  Im sure if i went with non varex,  i wouldnt have an issue.  So the exhaust itself is ok, its just the electrical component of it thats giving me a headache at the moment :-(

Even prior to purchasing like you mentioned, i did see some negative stories but also positive ones.  I remember on my WRX, i went through about 4 exhaust systems over the 11 odd years i owned it.  I think with each brand there was good and bad feedback.

If you got the spare cash, Joe Z, PPE like you mentioned are a few brands where its hard to find any negative so yep youre paying for the quality and that piece of mind.  I wouldnt mind PPE headers, no idea what the cost is though but ill get my exhaust sorted first.

Ps Its funny how quickly you get used to it.  First day i thought it was so loud.  Now im used to it and wouldnt mind it being a bit louder lol.  Maybe remove part of the mid section for straight through pipe work

I think the message here is get the non varex ;) (but yes I do know your situation re 5am startups)

honestly couldnt be happier with mine it sounded epic on the track day!

thats what I was concerned about re varex - keep it simple and you avoid this kind of crap and hassles!!

honestly so far it has exceeded my expectations.. (again non varex)

as mentioned I had a ISS DES which I believe was around $2.5k USD originally - too loud / too boomy / droned

had a HKS SSM axle which around the same $2.5-2.7k USD - too quiet.

so.. not always the case, personal preference ofcourse.

PTS system would be the go tho i think for a proper dual mode exhaust.

very dissapointing that your having issues with the varex - that was one of my concerns and im glad I didnt go with this option.

Guy`s there is no quality issues with the Xforce from what i can see from when I fitted it. As for spending more money on yank systems worth more ( due to our aussie dollar exchange rate only ) & *BLEEP* loads to ship to Oz does not equate to better system. Try having an issue with one of the yank systems & will see what happens then. Personally i did not go for a Varex system, WHAT FOR ! ! ! ! Boys it`s a V8, and there is no quite in V8 the last time i checked, geez.........

I've heard pf plenty of issues which is why I've done my homework. Well the PPE option is some of the best there is no two ways about it and expensive for a reason. It also comes from FIGS who are well known for their quality of service. That V8 does not perform/sound to its full potential as stock while it might be OK for some it isn't for others yet for some of us it needs to be quiet when needed. I have neighbors to consider too.

Besides its a Lexus I bought it for its legacy on reliability and I was happy to pay the premium for it so why ruin it with something that isn't? I just hope Varex will work out this issue for BLK ISF as I know how annoying this could be.

Just an FYI.  I went to the Xforce head office after work to try to resolve my recent ongoing issues with fuses and other electrical aspects of the exhaust.  Whilst annoying i will give credit in that i was never made to feel like a nuisance, over complaining etc.  They never strayed away from their responsibilities in trying to resolve this for me.  They assured me this is not the norm and quite uncommon (perhaps sales talk, id doubt they would openly admit to others having the same issue).  I guess if they sold only 100 varex's with a 1% fault rate, 1 out of 100 doesnt seem too bad.  10 out of 1000, is that bad etc.  I know the day i got it installed, their phones didnt stop ringing and trucks was turning up all day carrying palettes away of exhausts so im sure they sell alot (perhaps normal, maybe some varex's who knows).

After some checking, they realised it wasnt a fuse this time and no power was reaching the module.  They agreed to remove the entire wiring harness and module so basically only the physical exhaust itself remained.  About 40 mins later, all new wiring, module, connectors, remotes etc.  It powered up and he showed me a small section of the wiring that got a kink (assuming during the first install) that left some bare wires exposed and he said it was causing it to earth or something to that effect hence the constant fuses that kept blowing.

Anyway he was more particular this time and ensured there was no such kinks this time etc.  So now its a waiting game and fingers crossed i have no further issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Was thinking of just getting pair of magna-flo mufflers at the rear instead of x-force system for ~ $550. I'm just after exhaust note - is the middle hotdog or whatever it is much of a restriction compared to x-force x-pipe? Exhaust place says restriction is primarily the factory mufflers/ Why do I need to purchase the whole x-force cat-back system vs just getting rears done? Imagine they sell them because that is the next bolt-on section for DIY and non welder/flange install.

well removing the secondary cats would be big gain, I think it all comes down to price at the end of the day - if you are quoted say $600 for a custom axle back system why not pay a bit more and get a full system that was designed to work as one piece of that makes sense.

however if going for a muffler delete or something of that nature I totally get the appeal (hardly any cost involved etc)

just my opinion :) 

ok, perhaps I need to clarify couple things, looking at second pic in the following link:

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=73325.0

working back to front: pair mufflers, single cylindrical muffler, pair secondary cats then primary small cats in front of flanges i.e which don't get replaced with x-force i.e. where x-force bolts to? If x-force really frees up by replacing the those Y-secondary cats & the cylindrical muffler plus rears - then yes I see the value. Both exhausts shops where asking me "why x-force, including one who is listed as distributor" they were selling on doing better quality mufflers at rear, but only axle-back.

x force is primary cats back basically - cant see pics @ work =\

and yeah everyone hates x-force - you didnt get that memo?? ;) lol

for the price i have no complaints (so far)

ok got it - back on the x-force bandwagon - these guys in Canberra ignoring the del of 2nd cats and centre muffler, guess they got more markup with custom pipe work, and other mufflers mark-up instead of $180 install only cost for the x-force with little markup...business decision on their behalf can't blame them but I customer not really get straight-up advice ;-(

i know its a bit of a drive but by your last comment assuming you are in ACT, il be down in wollongong this afternoon / evening and until lunch time tomorrow if you wanted to hear the exhaust in person.

Thanks for offer - got an all-Japanese car day display in Canberra tomorrow morning otherwise I might gone for ride or drive - hehe if you got nothing planned head on down south. For me interesting to see the old school cars as I have project datto that needs my motivation to finish. don't think they have website, being organised on FB under "All Japanese Car and Bike Show 2016"

• 1 month later...