Looking to buy an ISF

ich1ban

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my current 2010 MY11 IS250 and since i've been quite happy the last 3 years with it as my first car, i'm looking at an upgrade.

Initially I was looking at getting something a bit more modern with the latest tech, 3rd gen IS350 or RC350 F-sport , however I think i'd much rather an actual F car.

I've been actively looking on carsales for a used one as they seem to have dropped in price a fair bit and is about the same price as a newish RC350 F-Sport, not having that much luck though as the numbers keep declining over the last few months! :(

One thing i'm not sure about is which year/version I should be getting.

From browsing the forums, it seems like anything after 2011 is what I should be looking at? (is this link info accurate? http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/774838-isf-year-differences-reference.html)

Only 6 left here http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?area=Stock&vertical=car&sortBy=TopDeal&q=%28%28%28%28Make%3D%5BLexus%5D%29%26%28Model%3D%5BIS%20F%5D%29%29%26%28%28State%3D%5BVictoria%5D%29%26%28Region%3D%5BMelbourne%5D%29%29%29%26%28Service%3D%5BCarsales%5D%29%29&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Is this one a good buy? http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-IS-F-2011/AGC-AD-17799067/?Cr=4

It looks like it has the upgrades that most people want, but it is missing the newer BBS wheels which I prefer, anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated! 

I did something similar, that is go from a my09 is250 to my13 ISF after evaluating all the variations of rc350/3is.  You won't regret it, I love the rarity and how familiar yet different it was to my old IS.  I've described it to my friends as driving a very pissed off version of my old is, the thing just wants to launch and pin you back.  I've owned a lot of fast cars but the isf is something completely unexpected from a Lexus.

Back to your post though, sounds like you already know the differences, I would look for a 2012+ ISF with BBS's unless you have plans to change rims (in which case a 2011 would be just as good minus the Bluetooth streaming).

Oh that's good to hear that the bluetooth streaming feature only started from 2012 onwards, which is quite shocking to me that this feature was implemented so late. Definitely will look for a 2012 onwards then as using the AUX cable is such a pain.

I'm not looking to change rims either as it just isn't worth it, I remember looking at upgrading to the F-sport rims a while back and the cost was ridiculous. 

So 2012 is MY12 or MY13 onwards? I noticed that you can get 2011 MY12 which still have the old wheels. 

I don't really care for the gadgets what interests me is the performance and 2011 up they all have the upgraded bits. Mind you I've had a 2008 model and upgraded to the 2011, all was perfect except the audio system is shockingly poor compared to the 2008. Especially the Bluetooth streaming option (2011 does not have it), the sound quality in general is way down. That is only important if you value proper sound.

Definitely the upgraded performance is first priority.

Currently have the IS250 with standard sound system so I'm sure the ISF one will sound better.

Will wait until there is a 12+  model on carsales and I'll see if I can snatch it up for a decent price. 

Thanks guys. 

On 14 April 2016 at 5:12 PM, ich1ban said:

Oh that's good to hear that the bluetooth streaming feature only started from 2012 onwards, which is quite shocking to me that this feature was implemented so late. Definitely will look for a 2012 onwards then as using the AUX cable is such a pain.

I'm not looking to change rims either as it just isn't worth it, I remember looking at upgrading to the F-sport rims a while back and the cost was ridiculous. 

So 2012 is MY12 or MY13 onwards? I noticed that you can get 2011 MY12 which still have the old wheels. 

Yes the change-over occurred late in the year in October- so for example a 2011 build complianced from 10/11 could be an MY12. However you may notice some later models cars with older wheels as Lexus offered a no-cost option at least initially to choose the older wheels. MY12 has Sachs-equipped suspension (softer shocks for ride comfort, but firmer spring rates which improves on major suspension retune from the MY11), 0.5" wider fr new BBS alloys. It might be hard to spot an 2011 MY12 build if it has been specified with the older wheels...but you're after the new wheels anyway. Get them on a car...Lexus will sell you a set..but the cost exceeds $30k!

Alrighty, will look for one if any pops up on carsales, right now the numbers have almost halved in the last few months, there are 0 in Victoria that are 2012+. 

Thanks guys. 

3 hours ago, Sciflyer said:

Your car is actually a MY2013, the changeover date was August 2012 :)

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/catalog/LEXUS__IS_F/#8/2012

MY2012 cars (ie, built from Aug.2011 - July 2012) do not have the HDD nav or BT streaming

Correct, I was just referring to your original post that 2012 cars do not have bt streaming.  As you pointed out its just MY2012 which do not, but 2012 MY2013's do.

US market got the BT streaming earlier than Australia. My fathers got a very late 2012 IS350 which lacks BT streaming. Safe bet is a 2013 which is a prive premium, but honestly you can't really go wrong with any 2011+ ISF. If you're the modding type like me, a 2011 with coilovers & rims is about as good as it gets, not to mention exhaust etc upgrades.

As others mentioned, the 2008 ML is way better! My only criticism of my ISF is the comparitive flat audio quality. Thankfully the V8 sound more than makes up for it.

Happy hunting!

I wonder how much improvement a coilover upgrade would make to the 2011+. I've done them on my ex 08 and they made a significant difference but am not sure the 2011+ need them. I've fixed the audio issue. All you need is a proper sound processor in the chain the speakers are good.

I can say that coilovers certainly didn't make mine worse. I did gain adjustability. I wonder if 08-10 with decent coilovers matches 2011+ in handling.

Don't have a good enough phone/processor to fix my audio quality.

From my experience the 2011+ outshines the 08 with coliovers on both comfort and handling. Of course within certain limits, racing coliovers will make it more aggressive on the track for sure.

All you need is a latest Sony phone, they have phenomenal audio capabilities. Trust me I am an AV phile :) It will transform the audio experience in the car well beyond CD quality if using lossless tracks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Was about to just spend money on a new watch but decided to hold off and finally a 2012 MY13 Lexus ISF in pearl white was on sale and I picked it up after test driving it.

Need to pick it up on a week or two as there was some front bumper damage and they said they had to get it sent to an authorised panel shop to get it replaced and repainted and not any random panel shop due to it being an ISF and the colour also harder to match?? They mentioned that it will not look as perfect as Factory sprayed as well.

Really looking forward to picking it up, thanks again. Anything else I should know about the car? this one has BT music streaming correct? 

Starfire pearl is notoriously difficult to colour match, and it looks different on plastic/fg/metal.

As for BT, if it's a MY2013 you'll have it that's correct.

Awesome, thanks for that! 

Yeh can't wait to pick up my car, need to sell my IS250 as well, Carsales the go-to place for that? Never sold a car before so will need to research a bit. 

Been driving a lot with my new starfire pearl white ISF and it's amazing, feels like a completely different car to my old IS250.

What I've noticed:

- Steering is much more rigid and harder - requires more force to turn the wheel etc.

- Ride is much firmer... can feel all the small bumps on the road even on the 2012my13 edition that supposedly has a less harsh ride than the initial versions.

- Can hear much more road noise and just general noise outside, I think it has less sound isolation than the IS250, maybe because of the tyres and sunroof? 

- Doesn't have cooled seats.

- Side mirrors don't fold, I thought they would.

- Indicators is on the side instead of the side mirrors, I think the newer IS models 2011 onwards for the IS250 have moved it to the side mirrors.

- Engine is amazing, I think once it revs past 4000rpm the sound is addictive.

- Brake squeal, I had brand new brakes replaced on them which on the invoice said it cost like $4100, so I assume it's the original ISF ones, but it squeals a LOT when i'm braking slightly and rolling at maybe 5-10km/h, will this go away? Should I complain about it and have it looked at? 

Thanks guys, overall VERY happy with the car, glad I made this purchase over the IS350/RC350 F-sport.

Glad you are enjoying the car. By the sound of things you have a lot of reading to do on this forum and in general. Those things you have noticed are completely normal/required for a high performance car as such and it seems this is the first time you are experiencing such a car. You need to forget about comparing the F to the 250 or even 350 they are different animals altogether. You should try the 1st gen IS-F and you will not even mention hard ride on yours ;) As for the mirrors they do fold but you need to have the L mirror button ON. The brakes are very typical please read up on that there is not much you can do, again high performance components have some side effects, you can go after market for less noise but that's another story. 

Yep I've done a fair bit of reading and a lot of people have claimed the same brake squeal with their ISF, and have opted for 3rd party routes such as Project Mu etc.

Some people have also tried to get some de-greaser or something applied to the inside which apparently helped? 

Also thanks for letting me know that they do auto fold, so as long as I slide the button that adjusts the mirror to the active the L side it should auto fold?

Who do you guys go through for car insurance? I ended up going with RACV without the premium policy which I don't think I need; it just offers unlimited windscreen claims, agreed value, unlimited car hire and some personal belongings insurance inside up to $1000 or 2000.

It comes down to about $170 p/m, $250 p/m for the premium policy pack and for Allianz/AAMI it was about $280 per month lol... 

Selling old car on carsales, haven't had any bites yet after 7 days and i've priced it cheaper than the rest, hope it doesn't take too long to sell!