ISF - AUS custom dyno tuned - DONE!

Sparky

On 31/08/2016 at 10:08 PM, Sparky said:

The tune can actually remove the CEL check o2 sensors light as well, so can change the cats or go full catless if needed.

Damn didnt know this.  Just another reason to get a tune lol

On 26/08/2016 at 8:43 AM, 2bling said:

How long does he need the car for, just for a tune, and has any other tuners tune the isf yet cheers.

He'll need the good part of a day.  I was there last week and got my exhaust manifold modified to 3 inches like Sparky but couldnt get the tune done as well on the same day, not enough time etc.

Before discovering this thread, i did find another tuning the ISF, CPI performance or something like that at Smithfield i think.  Anyways no affiliation, never used so cant vouch for quality but as said, he has tuned them before

9 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

He'll need the good part of a day.  I was there last week and got my exhaust manifold modified to 3 inches like Sparky but couldnt get the tune done as well on the same day, not enough time etc.

Before discovering this thread, i did find another tuning the ISF, CPI performance or something like that at Smithfield i think.  Anyways no affiliation, never used so cant vouch for quality but as said, he has tuned them before

Did you notice the sounds changes a bit (for the better!) with this mod?

I reckon its great bang for your buck! Dont suppose there was a before and after dyno?

Black ISF

For memory the Xforce part # was BNG08. They fit in the original sensor spot, but the sensor then does not feel the full flow of the new system as such. 

As for the VCS light that should not happen. Scan the ECU to see what error code comes up. I`ve had my system on since Dec last year & never had this at all.

You may have another issue so safer to just get it checked. 

One of the cars i had tuned was a vx ss and the mob in Canberra did the same thing with the cats they had a 2 1/4  pipe and they increased them to 2 1/2 very common practice to fit the extractors, Sonny must have done 1000s of them...

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Did you notice the sounds changes a bit (for the better!) with this mod?

I reckon its great bang for your buck! Dont suppose there was a before and after dyno?

Marginally louder but only just.  Then again i already have a Cat back system that is loud (to me anyway lol) so hard to notice much audible difference.  Probably more difference on a stock system.

As our cars already put out a lot of power, its hard to notice small gains but this was enough that i could feel the difference, especially down low.

I didnt get it tuned but did get a before and after to satisfy my curiousity.   Will have to get a scan copy later but its similar power and gains to yours.  Only difference from memory between our cars is i have a catback but i have a standard airbox.

It went from 239kw before (sounds right given my exhaust) to 252kw after the manifold port increase.  Sonny was happy and said the car responded well to the mod.  With a tune he said it should reach 270ish give or take.

Like yourself, im more about how it feels on the road and it feels like a better pickup throughout the rev range and the dyno supports that.

Ps Only recently spend 3.5k on wheels/tyres so may enjoy it as is before more $$$ on a tune lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peterkay said:

Black ISF

For memory the Xforce part # was BNG08. They fit in the original sensor spot, but the sensor then does not feel the full flow of the new system as such. 

As for the VCS light that should not happen. Scan the ECU to see what error code comes up. I`ve had my system on since Dec last year & never had this at all.

You may have another issue so safer to just get it checked. 

So are you saying there could be a performance loss with this part?

Like you said, ill have to get the code scanned. Its very hit and miss.  Must of been over a month now and it hasnt happened, touch wood.

Was just going to get something like this until i saw youre response

Screenshot_20160907-001154.jpg

6 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Marginally louder but only just.  Then again i already have a Cat back system that is loud (to me anyway lol) so hard to notice much audible difference.  Probably more difference on a stock system.

As our cars already put out a lot of power, its hard to notice small gains but this was enough that i could feel the difference, especially down low.

I didnt get it tuned but did get a before and after to satisfy my curiousity.   Will have to get a scan copy later but its similar power and gains to yours.  Only difference from memory between our cars is i have a catback but i have a standard airbox.

It went from 239kw before (sounds right given my exhaust) to 252kw after the manifold port increase.  Sonny was happy and said the car responded well to the mod.  With a tune he said it should reach 270ish give or take.

Like yourself, im more about how it feels on the road and it feels like a better pickup throughout the rev range and the dyno supports that.

Ps Only recently spend 3.5k on wheels/tyres so may enjoy it as is before more $$$ on a tune lol.

Wow that's a great increase!! Shows how good that mod is.. Glad you are happy, I think once it's tuned, you will be blown away, the driving experience is completely transformed.

You have an xforce exhaust from memory? Sounds like it's making about 15kw at the wheels over the stock system, which is pretty good!

Thanks for sharing!

Black ISF, 

No power loss at all. Any time you fit new larger exhaust work in front of an o2 sensor it will generally throw the engine light on. The ECU is tuned to the stock exhaust. Usually if you disconnect the battery before the work is carried out the ECU on the start up will perform a re learn & thus no fault light. Though this is not the case on all vehicles. Same goes when fitting cold air intakes, disconnect the battery before the work. 

The idea of the fitting ( picture which you posted ) is to pull the o2 back a little so the ECU will not feel the new extra exhaust flow. When i fitted my system i disconnected the battery. Same when i fitted the cold air intake.

As for the price of those fittings, wow that is cheap. I just looked on the Xforce website & the are 50 odd dollars. As you see in the picture it pulls the sensor out roughly 10mm.  

Hope this helps

Peter.K

Well I had the ECU dyno tune carried out today.  and I’m happy.   I have not been for a good drive yet.   But I gave it a couple of goes in 2nd, and wow..   Like Sparky said, it has moved the power everywhere, not just the top end.  and is nicer to drive.   I ended up with 288 kw atw..  before the tune I had 267kw atw.

I have an intake tube, PPE headers and Joe Z exhaust.

ISF Dyno.jpg

10 hours ago, Peterkay said:

Black ISF, 

No power loss at all. Any time you fit new larger exhaust work in front of an o2 sensor it will generally throw the engine light on. The ECU is tuned to the stock exhaust. Usually if you disconnect the battery before the work is carried out the ECU on the start up will perform a re learn & thus no fault light. Though this is not the case on all vehicles. Same goes when fitting cold air intakes, disconnect the battery before the work. 

The idea of the fitting ( picture which you posted ) is to pull the o2 back a little so the ECU will not feel the new extra exhaust flow. When i fitted my system i disconnected the battery. Same when i fitted the cold air intake.

As for the price of those fittings, wow that is cheap. I just looked on the Xforce website & the are 50 odd dollars. As you see in the picture it pulls the sensor out roughly 10mm.  

Hope this helps

Peter.K

Cheers Peter, what you said makes perfect sense and my Brother in law (knows more than me about cars), said it would fix my issues.  From memory when Xforce fitted it, im sure the battery wasnt touched :-(

Wow $50 for that (from Xforce).  Id want a few extra kw's for that price lol

17 hours ago, Sparky said:

Wow that's a great increase!! Shows how good that mod is.. Glad you are happy, I think once it's tuned, you will be blown away, the driving experience is completely transformed.

You have an xforce exhaust from memory? Sounds like it's making about 15kw at the wheels over the stock system, which is pretty good!

Thanks for sharing!

Yep, i leave for work about 5am everyday so i wanted the Varex which i use every morning to not annoy the neighbours, wake up the family etc.  Its a touch quieter than stock so it serves it purpose when leaving. Yeah Sonny mentioned the Xforce should be good for about 10-15kw, headers make more for our cars.

3 hours ago, LTuned said:

Well I had the ECU dyno tune carried out today.  and I’m happy.   I have not been for a good drive yet.   But I gave it a couple of goes in 2nd, and wow..   Like Sparky said, it has moved the power everywhere, not just the top end.  and is nicer to drive.   I ended up with 288 kw atw..  before the tune I had 267kw atw.

I have an intake tube, PPE headers and Joe Z exhaust.

ISF Dyno.jpg

Ah, you must of been the guy Sonny was referring to lol.  When i was there last week, he was mentioning he was looking forward to tuning your car.  He said another ISF is coming with full exhaust, headers, your mods etc so he wanted to see what he could get out of it.  I know headers really do make a difference, all of the guys in the states say the same on the forums and your figures show that.

Ive heard intake is good for about 5ish kw's and im sure whilst better im not sure how much better Joe Z is over Xforce but my after (no intake, ported manifold mod, Xforce) is 251kw so 16kw difference give or take before your tune.  So i would assume headers would be approx 10kw of that difference.  Closer to 20kw if my manifold wasnt modded last week.  Gotta love headers :-)

So whats next, any future mods planned?  When i was there, he had plenty of Holdens there, 1 grey ute pulling big numbers, lumpy cam etc.  So many options with those cars, supercharger etc.  Not sure besides a tune whats next, thats worthwhile besides supercharging or anything excessively expensive.

Here's my dyno after he did the manifold mod, nothing else.  Besides the tune, ive read mixed reviews on intakes, some preferring just the K&N in the box or some get the intake part like HPS, Takeda, Injen but again, some like them, others say they are worse than stock so im hesitant.  They are the only 2 engine mods that are simple enough to do and will provide good gains (well the tune anyway) dyno.jpg

BLK ISF,  I think that was me.  No more mods planned at the moment, but let’s see what comes along.   I’ll just enjoy it the way it is.  (I should of left the watch in my ISF, I would have had another 10kw)

I been for another drive today, and the throttle is more responsive, it’s almost like I’m in sports mode when in normal mode.   I’m happy..

17 hours ago, LTuned said:

BLK ISF,  I think that was me.  No more mods planned at the moment, but let’s see what comes along.   I’ll just enjoy it the way it is.  (I should of left the watch in my ISF, I would have had another 10kw)

I been for another drive today, and the throttle is more responsive, it’s almost like I’m in sports mode when in normal mode.   I’m happy..

I find normal mode very sedate and i need to drive a bit more agressive to get that smile on my face so if your normal is like sports, that really makes me want to get the tune now lol.  This forum is a bad influence haha.

I know what you mean though, i think regardless of what mods we have, we always get used to the car and after more.  Well i am but as you said, i think after a filter and tune, ill be content and just enjoy it.  I just dont think ill twin turbo it or supercharge it like some of the more enthusiasts in the states althgough i can only imagine the drive in those cars :-)

Ps A watch is good for a proven 5kw atleast.  My LED gear knob is good for atleast 3kw lol

On 09/09/2016 at 6:27 AM, BLK ISF said:

I find normal mode very sedate and i need to drive a bit more agressive to get that smile on my face so if your normal is like sports, that really makes me want to get the tune now lol.  This forum is a bad influence haha.

I know what you mean though, i think regardless of what mods we have, we always get used to the car and after more.  Well i am but as you said, i think after a filter and tune, ill be content and just enjoy it.  I just dont think ill twin turbo it or supercharge it like some of the more enthusiasts in the states althgough i can only imagine the drive in those cars :-)

Ps A watch is good for a proven 5kw atleast.  My LED gear knob is good for atleast 3kw lol

Do the tune, or drive one thats tuned. You will be blown away.. Its how the car should have always behaved, much more enjoyable to drive!

MR2QIK,   I did not ask Sonny if he could do that, but he might be able to.  It feels much nicer to drive, I think I know your mods, you should get it done.

Give Sonny a call.

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

Do the tune, or drive one thats tuned. You will be blown away.. Its how the car should have always behaved, much more enjoyable to drive!

Yeah i definitely intend on doing that.  Just want to get the intake/filter first and then the tune. 

Ps I do generally drive in sports mode 100% of the time but once i got the Apexi throttle controller, it made a big difference on pedal feel.  So hoping the tune will take it to the next level like you say

On 12/09/2016 at 6:36 PM, LTuned said:

MR2QIK,   I did not ask Sonny if he could do that, but he might be able to.  It feels much nicer to drive, I think I know your mods, you should get it done.

Give Sonny a call.

Might give him a call sometime. I do want to be able to rev to 7000rpm. My mods would make my ISF an ideal candidate for tune (headers, borla, intake, ported manifold & tb).

On 9/17/2016 at 7:16 PM, MR2QIK said:

Might give him a call sometime. I do want to be able to rev to 7000rpm. My mods would make my ISF an ideal candidate for tune (headers, borla, intake, ported manifold & tb).

Those mods would definitely be nice to have with a good tune.  Ive got some mods and waiting for my HPS intake to arrive before ill tune.  Before discovering this thread, i contacted CPI (silverwater based i think) and the guys advises he has experience tuning an ISF with good results but havent found anyone on these kinds of forums who can comment about a tune.

Most refer to Sonny at Autowerks etc.  CPI wanted just under 2k though which i thought was a bit excessive for a tune.  My ISF has the typical mods so didnt think it would be a true custom tune vs other make of cars that can be truly unique like supercharger, cams, headwork, injectors etc.  This i understand would require more time hence more expensive.

Ill most likely go with Autowerks but CPI is another who can tune our cars.  Hopefully someone who has had a tune from them might be able to share their experiences.

Well here are 2 laps in my ISF after the ecu tune at Eastern Creek, (SMSP) Brabham Circuit.   I found that after the tune, I was using 3rd gear in some corners where I used to use 2nd.  it just feels more responsive.

You can see the sprinkles on the windscreen, I had some bugs on there as well & didn’t want to smudge them with the wipers.   it only just started to sprinkle and the track was still dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn2MD-c97KM

• Like 1