IS350 F Sport new to me (MY12)

bazzle

Hi.. New to me 2011 IS 350 F Sport (Vermilion)

Picked up last week from Melb City Lexus. Drives very nice.

A few things I will be doing but need to rear thru the posts on this forum 1st.

I have been active on a few Auto and GPS forums over the past many years as member, moderator's etc, hopefully I can bring some useful info here too.

Last 3 cars were MB SLK, VW R32, and last one was an Audi S3. Needed something now where I can act my age ;)

Bazzle

mj1zle.jpg

Hi

It was the S3 Hatchback. 8P (2011)

I don't buy new cars anymore. Now-days I trade into cars a few years old.

How did they compare. All were pretty equal in performace.

I liked the R32 (mkV) for its close angled V6. Bags of torque down low, better than the Lexus but not as much approaching redline :)

Both the Audi and the R32 used 99% similar driveline (Quatrro/Haldex system, brakes, gearbox) but each had its own character. R32 was easier to drive fast with confidence. S3 was more , foot down, turbo woosh, hang on, not easy to hold a quick line thru a sweeping bend with as much confidence as the R32. Both had minor suspension tweaks. ( A job I do now for a living, mainly 4wd's now though) The MB was a supercharged 2.3L with approx 230kw.(Pulley kit, AMG brakes , konis etc) Went like a rocket but too easy to loose on a fast corner if grip went.

The IS F sport? Haven't fully explored it yet. I like the initial turn in but then it get neutral.

I am fitting Michelin PS4's tomorrow. I will be upping the front from 225 to 235. That small amount should help to improve balance a little bit. Time will tell.No plans to lower or change suspension bits yet (ahem)

More interested atm getting the sat nav maps updated . Currently has V18!. Tried an V20 download I found, worked for a day then the whole unit became non responsive including the Hard buttons around the outside. Had a bugger of a job beating the switch on timing so I could eject the DVD and put the V18 back. :(

I also want to improve the headlights. High beam is woeful. Thinking of 4300 leds initially. The mercury free HIDs for low beam need improving somehow as well

Cheers Bazzle

Awesome, good insight into the similarities and differences between your cars. 

I think a lot of people nowadays compare the S3 to the IS350 as well due to the price similarities.

I too was about to pick up a white IS350 from Melb city lexus maybe 2 years ago but decided to just wait a bit longer.

I fitted the 235/40/18's to the front (PS4's) but they rubbed on lock and bulged slightly on the rim edge.. Changed back to OE size  225/40/18 , still PS4's. Nice fit.

Stayed with 255/40/18 on rear.

The Michelin's are a true size tyre compared to the Bridgestones

Added 4500 Leds to the high beam as well. What an improvement :). Match the OE HIDs in the low beam nicely.

Found by aligning the low beams the light spread and quantity is a lot improved.

Left was high and right was low, both in line now :)

Redid the V20map DVD onto an DVD-R DL. Been working OK now for 7+ days :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/01/2017 at 4:55 AM, bazzle said:

I fitted the 235/40/18's to the front (PS4's) but they rubbed on lock and bulged slightly on the rim edge.. Changed back to OE size  225/40/18 , still PS4's. Nice fit.

Stayed with 255/40/18 on rear.

The Michelin's are a true size tyre compared to the Bridgestones

Added 4500 Leds to the high beam as well. What an improvement :). Match the OE HIDs in the low beam nicely.

Found by aligning the low beams the light spread and quantity is a lot improved.

Left was high and right was low, both in line now :)

Redid the V20map DVD onto an DVD-R DL. Been working OK now for 7+ days :)

Hello,

New member here from Perth. 

I will be picking up my 2011 IS350 on the weekend and one of the things I was thinking of doing was upgrading the maps. Do you mind telling me where you got your version from? I've seen a few copies online but none for Australia. Any help would be great. Cheer. 

P.S sounds like the headlight improvements are a good idea! 👍

I've got v20 that I can provide for you.

I've also got OSRAM D4S CBI 5000k in my low beams. Looks very nice.

C9ykAqx.jpg

High beam improvement also sounds like a good idea.

Can I ask what bulb types you're using and where you got them from?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:51 AM, plankton007 said:

High beam improvement also sounds like a good idea.

Can I ask what bulb types you're using and where you got them from?

Ebay :)  4500k or 5000k Led 9005 HB3

Similar:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cree-LED-CAR-headlight-Conversion-kit-6000K-White-9005-HB3-7800LM-60W-bulb-3K-8K-/302229034494?