my 2011 is350 f sport has bluetooth for phone calls, but not for music streaming. since i have most of my music on apple music (which isnt easily transferable to a usb stick) i have been using an aux cable to listen to my music recently. obviously because of this i can only control the volume via the car, skipping a track needs to be done on the phone. i actually can skip tracks, with some trickery: i purchased a 3.5mm cable with the iphone type controls, which when you double click, skips the song, so i have this part lying near the gear shift so i can skip a song without taking my eyes off the road or needing to touch my phone, which in vic, can get you a hefty fine

this is the cable:

hkpost-3-5mm-replacement-red-cables-for-

i have seen some bluetooth aux devices, which dont seem to have to many user reviews, however they are cheap. has anyone used one, or could recommend a good one

eg:

http://www.blueant.com.au/products/headphones/ribbon/index.php?locale=en-au

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-bluetooth-music-receiver-cobt01r

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streambot-Hands-free/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489747337&sr=8-3&keywords=aux+bluetooth

I used to use the Griffin Bluetrip coupled with a FiiO L8 or L17. Best solution in my opinion as it takes up minimal space and doesn't interfere with OEM bluetooth as long as you set it music streaming only.

Actually got a brand new device and cable recently

looked up the griffin bluetrip, quite a few reviews mention good voice quality, poor music quality? music is obviously what i want it for. also needs to stream efficiently. i have been in some cars, and the music lags over bluetooth, doubt its my phone as its an iphone 6s. 

whats a "linkbk"? tried searching for it, but couldnt find exactly what it is. who manufactures it

Search eBay for the below  but I needed to get a small extension cable too as otherwise the skip button wouldn't extend past the sliding compartment. Sounds kinda dodgy, but end result still looks neat, and I don't have any loss in sound quality either

Replacement 3.5mm AUX Jack Remote Mic Control Talk Cable Lead for Beats Earphone

5 hours ago, bazzle said:

So with the Bluetooth you can wirelessly play music from your iphone etc to the Lexus Headunit (ML)?

With the add on, the phone connects to it via Bluetooth, and that module is connected to the car via a 3.5mm connection

I have a 2012, not sure how much different it is to the 2011. But I just plug my phone using a USB cable, to play Apple Music from my phone.

I can use my steering wheel controls, to skip tracks etc.

Your all correct. My 'Bazzle' look didnt involve moving a notepad covering the USB/Aux input sockets :whistling: in the centre arm rest.

Learn something every day :yes:

Thanks, I can work out from 3 options now

On 3/21/2017 at 11:34 AM, iinkz said:

I have a 2012, not sure how much different it is to the 2011. But I just plug my phone using a USB cable, to play Apple Music from my phone.

I can use my steering wheel controls, to skip tracks etc.

omg i hope my car supports this. easy way to tell the difference between head unts is the number of large buttons at the bottom. mine has 4 (am\fm\cd\aux) wheras the next update model only has 3

my mind will be blown if this works haha

tried it this morning (plugging iphone cable straight into the usb port and using apple music) and it works! im amazed! it has full functionality on the touch screen too, shows playlists, albums, genres etc even podcasts

only "bug" i encountered however is that if im in the playlist\album view, when i scroll down, it for some reason automatically changes to whatever playlist\album is now at the top of the screen, kinda annoying, but worth it for the additional functionality 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use an old iPod - it is loaded with my music. Plug it into the USB and it works fine - skip controls etc on the steering wheel all work. You can still pair your phone via Bluetooth at the same time of course. Not as convenient as using a single device but it's a good compromise.

update on this, ive gone back to using the aux cable. i think the usb connection in my car is loose, as it just always cuts in and out. have confirmed its not a dodgy cable as i have used several now, and not the iphone as i just got a brand newie, which does the same thing :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2017 at 6:32 PM, Alexusander said:

I use an old iPod - it is loaded with my music. Plug it into the USB and it works fine - skip controls etc on the steering wheel all work. You can still pair your phone via Bluetooth at the same time of course. Not as convenient as using a single device but it's a good compromise.

Found a couple of old ipods at home. Used one, works great. Thanks for the heads up :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Dude. This thing. Get it.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5526_HA100.html

This is the one I'm currently using. It's paired to my Xperia Z3+. Absolutely awesome.
The issue I have with other ones (I haven't tried every single one) is the fact that you either need to connect to it via the phone each time, or press the "connect button" on the device itself.

With this one, like my previous older Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway, it automatically connects when powered.

Not sure if iPhones perform as well, but with my Xperia, once you turn on bluetooth (when the device was already powered), it will find the device and automatically connect to it.

It's also got the NFC tag. Now sure how well it performs, but could be a brilliant idea to stick it somewhere if someone in your family wants to play music from their phone too.

• Like 1

thats cool, thanks for the post. however my main concern is how to skip a track? im constantly changing between songs, so the steering wheel controls are essential. otherwise you need to pick up the phone\instruct siri to skip a track

6 hours ago, water said:

thats cool, thanks for the post. however my main concern is how to skip a track? im constantly changing between songs, so the steering wheel controls are essential. otherwise you need to pick up the phone\instruct siri to skip a track

Oh... sorry... that I cannot help you with. The thing with my Xperia is that it is the PERFECT size for the cup holder. The width is almost identical with my protective casing, and the length extends exactly to the gear selector when it is at D. I skip tracks simply by swiping left/right. Sure my left hand is leaving the steering wheel, but my eyes don't leave the road for it.

My old iPod just plugs into the usb inside the armrest. Keeps charged and I haven't even looked at it since putting it under the other stuff in there🍺

• 3 months later...