To upgrade, or not to upgrade. That is the question.

Sparky

So, i am just gagging to drop a LSD into my 09 ISF, its the one thing i really want to have in this car..  I have done a few bits and bobs to it over time and am THOROUGHLY enjoying it. So much so that i am contemplating trading in the 09 for a 13, same colour paint and interior. The whole upgrade could potentially be done with the same loan, albeit on a new loan period. So basically same payments but refresh the loan.

My 09 has the following upgrades / mods:

• RR Racing USRS bushes (amazing steering feel)
  • RR Racing Air Oil Separator 
  • HPS intake tube black silicone
  • Bilstein B6 shocks (huge difference in comfort, though not as good as 12-13 onward cars)
  • X-Force cat back
  • Widened primaries after cats on factory headers
  • Autowerks ECU tune
  • 2011 Steering ECU upgrade (better mod than you would think, big difference)
  • Credit card key bought from the states

All in all, the only thing i really would froth over on the new car are:

• Better suspension
  • LSD Diff
  • Bluetooth streaming for music

I would probably get someone to switch all of my goodies onto the new car, i certainly wont trade them in. So there may be a chance of a part out who knows. I would probably want my mods on the new car, especially the exhaust, USRS, intake tune and get it retuned. Tuning is the best thing i have done to that car.

Let me know your opinions, because the other side is a drop a diff into mine for $3k and be done with it. I have maintained my car very well and its trouble free, around 90kms.

As for me personally i would do it. When i went through the rim roll just over a year ago i looked at models like yours and went for the 13 model , more so because it is newer & all the little updates it has over the older models. Your exhaust, intake & ECU tune they can all be fitted to the next car you get. As for the flange mod you will have to do it again. My mod was cheap as back then only cost me $240.00, that was the easiest mod spent for a quick 15kw gain. For memory also the dark grey is not available in the 13 model, just the Mercury Grey and the paint on the 13/14 cars is better again. In regards to your bilsteins i drove a few 09 cars and the set up was rock hard so the 13 is a nicer ride with the Sachs struts. Just be sure to find one with much less ks than yours so it feels newer and is worth the swap. I have been recently keeping an eye on the market for a friend who wants a 13 plated one and they are a bit scarce, more so with low ks. 

Cheers Peter.K

Thanks Peter, i agree it would be a worthy swap.. But my price bracket ill be looking at will either be a 12 with 60-80k or a 13 with 100+k. So it wont really be about getting a lower mileage / km car, its more about the updated features / benefits of the newer car.

I cant take my exhaust actually, because it was modified to fit with the modified factory headers.. Just realised that.. Have to re-tune ECU also because a different car. Sigh.. 

• Like 1

I wouldnt do it, not yet.  Wrote my essay explaining why on the US site, didnt realised you posted here lol.

Im getting a full detail with ClearFX protection end next month so that will make me feel like im driving a newer car lol

I know the ride quality could be better but i came from a lowered WRX for over a decade so the older ISF's are pure luxury in comparison lol

Haha, thanks mate, will have a look on the US site. Yeah ill see what the dealers can come up with, but at this stage after some thought overnight will probably stay in this car and drop a LSD into it in time :-)

I would only upgrade to a different vehicle, like maybe a nice GSF or RCF.   that would be worth it.   as you have already carried out a few mods, including your new shocks, exhaust & a tune, to get your ISF the way you like it.    it sound like you just need the LSD Diff, and Bluetooth streaming for music.    just burn a few new cd, you can put a lot of mp3 on one cd. 

Back in 2014, I thought about updating to the latest ISF.  but I would have to pay $$$$ to update to basically the same vehicle with slightly softer suspension, & without all my mods.   it would also cost $$$ to get back to where I was.  my ISF has low km, so I didn’t think it was worth it.    if you want a nice comfy ride, get a LS.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Haha, thanks mate, will have a look on the US site. Yeah ill see what the dealers can come up with, but at this stage after some thought overnight will probably stay in this car and drop a LSD into it in time :-)

I'm selling mine - MY11 if you're interested. Very low k's as well. 

If you're interested, see the post in the Buy / Sell section.

Yep add up the money, pros and cons how long do you want to keep the new or old car for as I have seen the price slowly coming down on carsales. I read your us forum post to if you could find the right car at a dealer and got a good trade yes but there are a lot of "ifs and buts" its up to you in the end cheers my ISF friend

• Like 1

As 2bling says, how long you`ve  had the current one, you must decide how long you are going to keep it if you decide to go that way. And then if you do keep the older one and spend more mouli on it you will need to keep it longer to reep the investment you have spent to get it where you want it. Lots of pros & cons. you do not want to look at it and think........ i wish i had a newer model. Cross your T`s and dot the I`s. As for the exhaust, if you have the old system you only need to modify the flange on the front of the mid section to fit to the headers on the older car. Then when ready do the header flange mod on the newer car and fit your system to it, easy done. You will lose the tune, oh well. keep the intake. Hope this helps to fry your brain more :yahoo:

Always look at car sales when a bit bored.  Saw a few 2007 BMW M5's for sale with the V10 at cheap prices.  

Ok dont get me wrong, i know its older and no i wouldnt do it as im sure they are not as reliable as the ISF but damn, imagine how much fun it would be listening to a V10 everyday :yahoo:

On 4/1/2017 at 9:52 AM, 2bling said:

Yep add up the money, pros and cons how long do you want to keep the new or old car for as I have seen the price slowly coming down on carsales. I read your us forum post to if you could find the right car at a dealer and got a good trade yes but there are a lot of "ifs and buts" its up to you in the end cheers my ISF friend

Well i think for now i have decided to ride out my time in this car, and just wait for the GSF, the car i was thinking about switching too was just too standard. Id be going backwards really..

On 4/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, Peterkay said:

As 2bling says, how long you`ve  had the current one, you must decide how long you are going to keep it if you decide to go that way. And then if you do keep the older one and spend more mouli on it you will need to keep it longer to reep the investment you have spent to get it where you want it. Lots of pros & cons. you do not want to look at it and think........ i wish i had a newer model. Cross your T`s and dot the I`s. As for the exhaust, if you have the old system you only need to modify the flange on the front of the mid section to fit to the headers on the older car. Then when ready do the header flange mod on the newer car and fit your system to it, easy done. You will lose the tune, oh well. keep the intake. Hope this helps to fry your brain more :yahoo:

Haha, thanks mate!

12 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Always look at car sales when a bit bored.  Saw a few 2007 BMW M5's for sale with the V10 at cheap prices.  

Ok dont get me wrong, i know its older and no i wouldnt do it as im sure they are not as reliable as the ISF but damn, imagine how much fun it would be listening to a V10 everyday :yahoo:

I know i was going to get either a E55 or a M5 when i got this car, i couldnt go past the reliability. But i test drove both and they are MUCH faster (stock) than the ISF was. Modified to the same level they would be wild..