Help!!! Looking at purchasing a Lexus ISF 2012 Model. Your Advise / Comments would be appreciated

Nice choice.  Cant go wrong with white.  I had a white WRX for over a decade, much easier to maintain than my current Black ISF.  Although black looks mean when clean :-)

On the US forums, there are plenty of threads about filters like Takeda, HPS, Typhoon etc.  K&N have some posts demonstrating x amount of HP gain with their cone type but others have shown that not to be the case.  Many have gone aftermarket to go back to OEM again.  Ive got a K&N but in the OEM box vs exposed.  Im sure its from a compliance issue too if pulled over having a fitler exposed.  As per previous suggestion, also got a HPS intake tube, didnt go metal.

Been running my Varex for well over a year now.  Great sound, good price and besides few hiccups with the electronics of the Varex, im overall happy with it.

To achieve that mid note intake sound we all love at an earlier stage, you can block the vacuum hose from the actuator.  Cheap and easy to do so you can remove it if you dont like.  Literally takes 10 seconds to do it.  If you do it, PEPs and other auto shops sell them.  Its a 1/8th size as i discovered after a few trips lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/383384-diy-stock-intake-mod.html

Ps Avoid big tacky stickers as they add weight to your car and will only slow it down haha

I'm currently have a HPS intake tube, and like many have said, I went down this route as to avoid heat soak especially during the warmer months. Not the mention the silicon composition allows for easier manoeuvre of the intake box and access to throttle body as opposed to the stock plastic tubing. Could be a placebo effect, however I noticed that throttle response has improved with the inclusion of the tube.

As for exhaust, I currently have the PTS Joe Z cat back system which gives a really good tone without being obnoxious.

On 8/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, Howiefied said:

Grats on the pick up.  She's a beauty.

As for intakes that work, look up HPS silicone intake with Afe filter.  They're about $220ish plus $70 for filter.  There are other better looking ones such as the RR Racing Titanium group buy going on at clublexus that looks mint but it's obviously metal so will have heat soak.

Thanks Howiefied

Sounds like a plan. I will check out the HPS intake. You have a valid point :)

On 8/10/2017 at 7:37 PM, bazzle said:

Thanks Bazzle.

I forgot to mention I already purchased these sills. Fit perfect, OEM, but need to have them wired up :(

On 8/11/2017 at 4:51 AM, BLK ISF said:

Nice choice.  Cant go wrong with white.  I had a white WRX for over a decade, much easier to maintain than my current Black ISF.  Although black looks mean when clean :-)

On the US forums, there are plenty of threads about filters like Takeda, HPS, Typhoon etc.  K&N have some posts demonstrating x amount of HP gain with their cone type but others have shown that not to be the case.  Many have gone aftermarket to go back to OEM again.  Ive got a K&N but in the OEM box vs exposed.  Im sure its from a compliance issue too if pulled over having a fitler exposed.  As per previous suggestion, also got a HPS intake tube, didnt go metal.

Been running my Varex for well over a year now.  Great sound, good price and besides few hiccups with the electronics of the Varex, im overall happy with it.

To achieve that mid note intake sound we all love at an earlier stage, you can block the vacuum hose from the actuator.  Cheap and easy to do so you can remove it if you dont like.  Literally takes 10 seconds to do it.  If you do it, PEPs and other auto shops sell them.  Its a 1/8th size as i discovered after a few trips lol.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/383384-diy-stock-intake-mod.html

Ps Avoid big tacky stickers as they add weight to your car and will only slow it down haha

I've always liked white. I have to admit though, black does look the best, especially when the vehicle is clean.

You have given me more to think about regarding the air intake :)

Def sold on the Varex. Need to call Prestige Exhaust.

I had a quick read about the vacuum hose. I might give it a go. As you said, easy to change back. Thanks again for the info.

Gotta have the stickers and fluffy dice!!  NOT! :)

On 8/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, Spec said:

Nice car; welcome another IS-F owner :) 

Thanks Spec. I love how it is so comfortable to drive. Drop the foot and it comes alive. I''m guessing an exhaust change will turn me into an 20 year old again :D

On 8/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, Noodle Boy said:

I'm currently have a HPS intake tube, and like many have said, I went down this route as to avoid heat soak especially during the warmer months. Not the mention the silicon composition allows for easier manoeuvre of the intake box and access to throttle body as opposed to the stock plastic tubing. Could be a placebo effect, however I noticed that throttle response has improved with the inclusion of the tube.

As for exhaust, I currently have the PTS Joe Z cat back system which gives a really good tone without being obnoxious.

HPS sounds the go I think.

Funny you mentioned Joe Z. One of the staff at Lexus Of Perth asked me if I was going to install a Joe Z exhaust. I'm guess this is like the dux nuts of exhausts? Or the original that

a lot of people installed when it first came out?

10 hours ago, Stamatic said:

HPS sounds the go I think.

Funny you mentioned Joe Z. One of the staff at Lexus Of Perth asked me if I was going to install a Joe Z exhaust. I'm guess this is like the dux nuts of exhausts? Or the original that

a lot of people installed when it first came out?

I mean, there are a couple of options available for this car, such as a Borla or RR Racing, and I'm sure there are more.

However, the Joe Z system was created in the states by a mechanic/tuner who owns an IS F and spent good time and effort in order to perfect the design and development, and many IS F owners over there were able to source the system at a reasonable price given it was manufactured locally.A lot of them began to respect and appreciate the quality of the system as well as the proven power gains, and the forums started to become inundated with suggestions of installing the said system.

Given the word was being spread, us overseas owners would rather purchase and install a product which is being raved and respected due to the substantial  time and money spent on sourcing the product. Not to mention that at one stage, Lexus of Sydney and Brisbane were importing them particularly over its rival counterparts to offer to IS F owners as an aftermarket option.

As Noodle Boy has said, Joe Z really is a no brainer when it comes to the ISF.  Its hard to discuss ISF's and exhaust in the same sentence without Joe Z entering the conversation.  Sound, quality and performance has been discussed, published many times over so its a safe bet.

As for price, well thats always a subjective one.  You get what you pay for but yes it will be a bit pricey for some.

I personally went with Varex as i wanted a system i could keep quiet early mornings so it suited my specific scenarios.  I know Armitryx offer the same concept exhaust but i dont think from memory they offer it for the ISF, only the GSF/RCF but could be wrong.

There is the Meisterschaft that also has the electronic valve so you can quieten it down but i also remember reading somewhere that it comes with one hell of a price tag.

In short, happy reading as there are several exhaust setups that you could go with and most will put a smile on your face vs the OEM exhaust :-)

On 17/08/2017 at 11:52 PM, Stamatic said:

Thanks Spec. I love how it is so comfortable to drive. Drop the foot and it comes alive. I''m guessing an exhaust change will turn me into an 20 year old again :D

Probably will :) 

My preference was not to mod my car - especially on the exhaust. Lexus gave this exhaust to Yamaha to tune the sound; I think it's got a very good balance in terms of tone and loudness. 

It's just enough that you can hear it even when cruising and remind you that it's there should you wish to push that pedal. I've heard a few aftermarket ones; not a fan of the additional drone; takes away from the luxury when cruising. 

Driving spirited on the roads; I don't think this car needs more power, so no Intakes and exhausts - needs wider tyres and could loose a little weight. I've gone wider with tyres and it has made a difference on my drives through the hills.

If I were to track this, I probably would have gone Intake, exhaust and front splitter & rear diffuser; but on the road, for what I use it for, these additions don't make sense. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Long time no speak. I've had family commitments that I have had to attend to, in particular surgery. All is good now. 

I thought I would post a few pics of my latest mod to the isf. Spec D led tail lights. Only fitted today so haven't had a chance to see them at night. So far, I'm really happy. One problem tho, before I purchased them, I asked if the indicators were amber. They stated they were amber. Purchased thru ebay USA. I haven't left feedback yet. Sure enough, they are red!! Far out, yellow sticker coming soon. I'm in Perth. Not 100% sure on the rules and regs. Anyone know?

Lastly, does anyone know how to remove the rear red bumper reflectors. I would like to darken them slightly if possible, or if available, replace them? 

Cheers

Sam20170927_215252.thumb.jpg.b94714841585bda029b0c3f758087403.jpg

20170927_215734.jpg

20170927_215818.jpg

20170927_215919.jpg

20170927_180029(1).jpg

20170927_180029(0).jpg

20170927_180010.jpg

20170927_180003.jpg

20170927_175952.jpg

• Like 1