ISF belt slip at high RPM (solved Gates 6PK2055 accessory belt)

_ISF

Hi all,

Im sure im not alone here, but my ISF has a loud belt slip noise which occurs generally on higher RPM gear changes. I have heard this on several Youtube video reviews and read topics on US forums about it - so i assume its somewhat common.

My question is - what methods have people used to stop or reduce the slip? New tensioner? New belt? Any spray for the belt to make it more sticky? Does the tensioner allow any ability to adjust the tension or is it spring loaded and therefore auto tensions?

Any comments would be appreciated.

EDIT 08/2018: Gates 6PK2055 accessory belt fitted. Belt squeak fixed for now.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:40 PM, Aiden F said:

I had this too, replaced the belt and tensioner, noise went away. But it's slowly making its way back haha

On 9/17/2017 at 5:22 PM, Gen03 said:

There's a guy in the US say's it could be the A/C compressor  thats causing the belt to slip

On 9/17/2017 at 8:43 PM, Eyecandydetailing said:

Well documented, mine does it too. Turn the stereo up

On 9/18/2017 at 3:41 PM, 18ADF said:

Thanks all for the responses - i will soon be ordering a new belt tensioner from USA and a new drive belt and installing both to get rid of this noise.

• 3 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, _ISF said:

Thanks all for the responses - i will soon be ordering a new belt tensioner from USA and a new drive belt and installing both to get rid of this noise.

How did you go with this ? because mine has started to sound ive got a supercharger now lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:04 AM, Gen03 said:

How did you go with this ? because mine has started to sound ive got a supercharger now lol

Haven't done it yet. Ended up buying an exhaust instead so the new tensioner and belt will come shortly.

• 6 months later...

Have decided to buy a brand new accessories belt first and see if that makes any difference, if not then ill buy a new tensioner. Tried calling my local Lexus service dept who were beyond useless so i resorted to Google and ebay to find parts.

Purchased a Gates Micro V belt (Part # 6PK2250). This particular belt is supposed to be the quietest belt on the market.

http://www.gatescatalogue.com.au/v/lexus/is/micro-v---belt/gates-au/6pk2250.html

And will purchase this Dayco tensioner if required: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAYCO-Auto-belt-tensioner-FOR-Lexus-IS-F-10-08-5-0L-V8-32V-USE20R-311kW-2URGSE/152681916420?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D771a79fe86004d5aa0e2b0bfe0e8df01%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D182732230729%26itm%3D152681916420&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

15 hours ago, 2bling said:

Gates belts are one of the best and dayco are what Lexus use so you cant go wrong let us know ….

13 hours ago, banserki said:

Agree with gates being the best.

Fingers crossed that simply changing the belt will stop the noise. The tensioner itself doesnt look too hard to get at but id rather not change it unless i definitely have to.

42 minutes ago, Gen03 said:

Let us know how it goes as mine slips at high rpm also .because im thinking of getting both replace at the next service .

Will do. It should arrive early next week so ill change it either one night next week (if i can be bothered) or next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was a waste of time - the Gates 6PK2250 belt i purchased is considerably longer than the stock belt so the information on the Gates website (and several other websites i looked at to cross reference is incorrect). The 6PK2250 does not fit the IS-F.

It appears that the correct size should be 6PK2055 which is 19.5cm shorter than the 6PK2250.

Unfortunately the stock belt has no markings on it at all so i cannot simply get the part number off it.

Now that i have done some further investigation, it seems some websites list the 6PK2255 as suitable for the IS-F, and others list the 6PK2055 - hence the confusion.

I have now purchased a 6PK2055 so will see how that goes when it arrives next week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gen03 said:

That sucks .and thanks for the update as I was just about to order one

Yes just hold off for another 4-5 days and i will let you know if the new belt is correct before you order one.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:29 PM, Gen03 said:

Thanks ..Will do

6PK2055 is the one you need Gen03. I just got mine off ebay (was around $60). I was a little concerned when i opened the package up as it had a different part number on it (both on the packaging and on the belt) but then it also had another sticker with 6PK2055 on it. 

Fitted it last night - fits perfectly and no belt slip so far (although ive only driven the car once since fitting it so it's early days). 

Belt.jpg

2 hours ago, _ISF said:

6PK2055 is the one you need Gen03. I just got mine off ebay (was around $60). I was a little concerned when i opened the package up as it had a different part number on it (both on the packaging and on the belt) but then it also had another sticker with 6PK2055 on it. 

Fitted it last night - fits perfectly and no belt slip so far (although ive only driven the car once since fitting it so it's early days). 

Belt.jpg

Thanks mate .I'll order mine this week

I decided to email Gates and let them know they have the incorrect belt listed for the IS-F. I got a response within 45 mins saying thanks, yes they have now realised the listing they had for the IS-F was incorrect and are having the online catalogue updated to suit.

So other IS-F owners should not encounter the same issue i had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1