Tyre noobie

I am totally perplexed by tyre numbers.

My stock wheels 2011 ISF is due for a replacement of all 4, what numbers are on my tyres and what should I be looking to buy? Looking at $300 per corner max

Stock setup is:

Front - 225/40 R19

Rear - 255/35 R19 

Michelin PS3 should be just over 300 per corner, Michelin PSS would be closer to 350 each

You could also opt for Continental CS3 which should be around 300. 

If you want more grip, go 245/35 on front and 265/35 on rear.  The extra rear width helps a bit with power traction in the wet and wider front is much better in the hills.

There will be a slight difference in the speedometer indicated speed - on stock mine was off by 4kph, now it's off by only 1 kph.

Whatever you end up choosing make sure you check the load and speed ratings on them. Could void your insurance in an event,  last time I got pulled over they had nothing they could get me on, desperate enough they checked the tyre placard  lol

On a positive note, highly rate the nitto nt05 245/35 and 275/30.  I do a fair amount of track mornings a year and always drive the car quite spiritly and still get a good 10,000 ks outta them. They are classed as a semi and have awesome dry grip, wet isn't too bad overall. But if you want more ks out of your tyres don't get these as they're quite soft.

I don't track but drive quite harshly. I have decided on the Michelin Pilot 4s. Are the sizes 245/35R19 front and 265/35R19 rear ok? When I order them is there a left side and right side model or does it not matter?

6 hours ago, banserki said:

I don't track but drive quite harshly. I have decided on the Michelin Pilot 4s. Are the sizes 245/35R19 front and 265/35R19 rear ok? When I order them is there a left side and right side model or does it not matter?

yeah, these will be fine. 

At 265/35 the rear will feel a bit more softer (since the air cushion is increased using this profile compared to 255/35 stock). 

The front is significantly better in the fast sweepers and corners, but steering will feel a bit odd at very slow speeds 5-10kph like during turning in and out of a driveway or parking. 

2 hours ago, Spec said:

yeah, these will be fine. 

At 265/35 the rear will feel a bit more softer (since the air cushion is increased using this profile compared to 255/35 stock). 

The front is significantly better in the fast sweepers and corners, but steering will feel a bit odd at very slow speeds 5-10kph like during turning in and out of a driveway or parking. 

Steering feels odd as in it feels heavier? I remember the steering felt like proper power steering with the stock 225 tyres, but since I switched to 245 Michelin PSS they feel rather heavy at crawling pace.

On 03/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, Noodle Boy said:

Steering feels odd as in it feels heavier? I remember the steering felt like proper power steering with the stock 225 tyres, but since I switched to 245 Michelin PSS they feel rather heavy at crawling pace.

Yes, this is normal - the steering was tuned for 225 width tyres, at 245, it will feel heavy and quite noticeable at slow speeds under 10kph. 

On the hills though, it feels really nice with all that grip on the front, it feels nice and planted. 

Wouldnt go 255/40, will throw your sizes way out

My rims are aftermarket, .5inch wider at 9.5 for the rears so im getting new tyres this afternoon after my morning situation on the Motorway (RIP tyre).  Going 285/30

Few guys on the US forums confirmed 285/30 will fit no scrubbing etc for my rims so giving it a go.

25540.jpg

28530.jpg

3 hours ago, banserki said:

Will 265/35 make a noticeable difference over 255/35 in the rear? The 255 are $50 cheaper than the 265. Will 255/40 work? 

265/35 vs 255/35 - There is a difference - I notice that it slips less on 2nd gear in wet conditions. Also the ride is a bit more softer. 

AS BLK says - 255/40 in the front will not work. Essentially, the tyre you choose should not have more than 15mm rolling dia difference to the original spec. 

In the front, stock is 225/40 and a 255/35 will be 1.5mm smaller in dia, which is ok. a 255/40 will be 24mm difference, that's unlikely to pass road worthy. 

In the rear, stock is 255/35 and a 265/35 is 7mm diff and a 275/30 is 13.5mm diff.

a 285/30 rear will be better at 7.5mm difference, but it won't fit the stock rims - BLK should be ok, since he's got aftermarket rims.

1 hour ago, Spec said:

265/35 vs 255/35 - There is a difference - I notice that it slips less on 2nd gear in wet conditions. Also the ride is a bit more softer. 

AS BLK says - 255/40 in the front will not work. Essentially, the tyre you choose should not have more than 15mm rolling dia difference to the original spec. 

In the front, stock is 225/40 and a 255/35 will be 1.5mm smaller in dia, which is ok. a 255/40 will be 24mm difference, that's unlikely to pass road worthy. 

In the rear, stock is 255/35 and a 265/35 is 7mm diff and a 275/30 is 13.5mm diff.

a 285/30 rear will be better at 7.5mm difference, but it won't fit the stock rims - BLK should be ok, since he's got aftermarket rims.

285 on rear do fit

I have pirelli p zero 285/35 on rear on stock rims

Depends on what year your ISF is.  The earlier ones like mine is rears 9inch rim.  I got aftermarket so no prob.  I think 2011 onwards or late 2010 went up .5 inch to 9.5 so 285/30 will fit for the later model ISF's stock.

Ps Got 285/30 fitted few hours ago, damn looks huge vs my old 255/35.  Very aggressive but need to lip/roll/shave guards.  Bit agressive into corners and it scrubs.  Will do this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BLK ISF said:

Depends on what year your ISF is.  The earlier ones like mine is rears 9inch rim.  I got aftermarket so no prob.  I think 2011 onwards or late 2010 went up .5 inch to 9.5 so 285/30 will fit for the later model ISF's stock.

Ps Got 285/30 fitted few hours ago, damn looks huge vs my old 255/35.  Very aggressive but need to lip/roll/shave guards.  Bit agressive into corners and it scrubs.  Will do this tomorrow.

out of curiosity why did you go 285/30 over a 275/35?

11 hours ago, NiNjA said:

Mines a 2008

Damn, im surprised.  Wouldnt have thought it would fit or you would have a bit of bulge etc.  Must be right on its limits.  Guess the tyre makes a bit of difference too, its profile etc

11 hours ago, BCHLER said:

out of curiosity why did you go 285/30 over a 275/35?

If you look at the comparisons, the 285/30 is the closest to OEM 255/35 OD and stagger.  Its only a 1.2% variance for OD vs 2.3% for 275/35 (double the variance).  If i went narrower i would of gone 275/30

27535.jpg

28530.jpg

I ended up getting the 265/35 for the rear :) now to order the RR steering bushings so these expensive *BLEEP*s don't wear like no tomorrow like the current ones did. 

39 minutes ago, banserki said:

I ended up getting the 265/35 for the rear :) now to order the RR steering bushings so these expensive *BLEEP*s don't wear like no tomorrow like the current ones did. 

Where about are you getting the bushes from ?

38 minutes ago, Gen03 said:

I just check them out around $550 to your door

Are you talking about the USRS.  I paid $472 and $141 postage (but thats with another item) = $613. Probably would of been under $600 if only posting 1 item.  Not cheap :-(

That was a year ago though

bushes.jpg

1 hour ago, BLK ISF said:

Are you talking about the USRS.  I paid $472 and $141 postage (but thats with another item) = $613. Probably would of been under $600 if only posting 1 item.  Not cheap :-(

That was a year ago though

bushes.jpg

https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower-Control-Arm-LCA-Bushing-p/isfxlca001.htm   yep that's the ones