Who thinks i can save my rear tyre

BLK ISF

Well i had an exciting morning on the M5 about 5:30am.  Drivers rear gave way, bit sideways then thump thump thump.  

Nursed her over to the breakdown emergency bay and saw the damage :-(

Was planning to get new tyres soon, well that will have to be today now lol

Ps Have done about 20000kms out of them, more than what i expected months ago

Just hoping no rim damage but towie had a good look for me and suspects its ok as the inner part gave way but it was still riding on the tyre (kind of).  Anyways will find out soon enough later today (fingers crossed)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, LTuned said:

What bad luck, luckily you & the ISF are ok.  The ISF saved you.   I reckon a good tyre place could fix it,  maybe not.

Nothing some good tape and zippy ties couldnt fix eh lol.  Trying to find a safe spot to pull over, can see the emergency bay ahead and just cringing as i drive slowly thinking "Please rim be ok please rim be ok lol"

Somehow inner part of tyre remained on the rim saving it i think.  Cant see any damage, buckling etc.  I suspect that bold/screw got the pressure low enough, i didnt notice and put pressure on the inner part of the tyre, well just a theory.

5.jpg

ouch!!! hope all is sorted

i had a similar thing happen with my daily mazda. luckily i wasnt on a highway and could over relatively quickly. 

do you think tyre fault? or just the fact the bolt was in there?

what tyres you running? Were they stretched?

11 hours ago, BCHLER said:

ouch!!! hope all is sorted

i had a similar thing happen with my daily mazda. luckily i wasnt on a highway and could over relatively quickly. 

do you think tyre fault? or just the fact the bolt was in there?

what tyres you running? Were they stretched?

Hard to say.  I washed the car the day prior and didnt notice anything different with the tyre, low on pressure, looking flat etc so i dont think the screw/bolt that was in there at the time.

Tyre fitter suspects it was in there for longer as it caused the pressure to drop (i dont have any TPMS to indicate when the pressure is dropping) so all of a sudden it just gave way.  Ive had nails, screws etc before but usually feel the car is different, notice its low, pump it up, get to a garage and a plug fixes it etc.  Never  had this before.

Tyres are Michellin Pilot Super sports so not cheap ones and they had almost 20k but the screw/bolt definitely caused the weak point where the inner wall part seperated.

Anyway as i wanted to go wider eventually from the 255/35 OEM sizes i was running, i decided to get 2 x 285/30.  Bit over the top but very close to true OEM diameter, rolling size etc.  Looks mean, handles nice from the short drive ive had since yesterday.  Only problem is it does scrub so getting the guards shaved today, maybe wheels slightly machine so they sit in more

Who thinks i can save my rear tyre?

Easy. Superglue sticks rubber real well .:whistling:

Rim can be buffed back smooth and clean and resealed with wheel paint.

Problem with low profile tyres is when they loose 1/2 their air, it isn't always noticeable with a walk around look. 

What then happens is they run superhot in the sidewalls due to flex (wall friction) and they fail.

Thats the problem, i thought they looked ok but like you say, low profile hard to tell without actually checking manually.  

Anyway rim was good thankfully, got new wider tyers and just purchased this TPMS to give it a go.  Any prior warning is better than nothing

valve1.jpg.954a0a6cf38091b217ff3554cbb37110.jpg

15 minutes ago, BLK ISF said:

Thats the problem, i thought they looked ok but like you say, low profile hard to tell without actually checking manually.  

Anyway rim was good thankfully, got new wider tyers and just purchased this TPMS to give it a go.  Any prior warning is better than nothing

valve1.jpg.954a0a6cf38091b217ff3554cbb37110.jpg

What's the cost on those? and do they just connect where the tyre valve cover goes on?

9 hours ago, 2bling said:

Saw this on the US forum the pics look the same :wink3: now I know what BLK ISF stands for ( doe you drive ISF with black tyres ) cheers.

haha yeah thats me.  Went from 4 tyres to 3 & a spacesaver (horrible looking things) and now back to 4 tyres :-)

10 hours ago, my_toy said:

What's the cost on those? and do they just connect where the tyre valve cover goes on?

About $50-60 from oseas, about 6-8 weeks wait.  I wanted something quicker so got this one for about $80 and arriving mid next wk.

Basically its a few mins install.  

1. remove current valve caps

2.  Attach a dust cover if they have it 

3.  Attach the small hex nuts

4. screw on the new valves

5. Tighten the hex nut to the valve caps with a small tool provided (somewhat theft deterrent).  

Unit itself conencts via cig lighter and gives you a constant reading.  If its not always within sight, it gives an audible warning chime if either the battery in the valve caps is low or tyre pressure.

Its hard to tell with low profile tyres so if it gives me an early warning ive got PSI issues, then im happy :-) 

4 hours ago, Murdzz said:

Thats a nice little TPMS, just plugs in the cigg lighter by the looks of it?

Yep thats it and the valve caps screwed on.  Simple quick setup

1 hour ago, NiNjA said:

I had the exact thing happen to my supra

I stopped earlier and called a tow truck.

Didn't want to ruin my volks gt-s lol.

I feel your pain. I thought my rim would be damaged for sure. If i had idea it was going to happen i would of got the tyre fixed but happened without warning. Just lucky i could get left and into a breakdown bay all within a few hundred metres otherwise my rim would of been damaged for sure

On 10/8/2017 at 3:22 PM, Murdzz said:

Thats a nice little TPMS, just plugs in the cigg lighter by the looks of it?

3.thumb.jpg.6c68865b86c160efdc0ce1a4e20133a1.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d9394cb740d1a1e528c8bccd34bd5e51.jpg1.thumb.jpg.d9db2e6419df07ca1502246fac41fa03.jpg

Installed it yesterday, quite simple.  Then adjusted the audible warnings to let me know when the pressure gets low.  Works well.

Had to put a bit more air in front drivers side.  After i inflated it to 38, i got in the car and the readout showed 38 so its quite accurate even compared to my digital guage.

So overall i feel its a good little investment that could have given me the prior warning i needed of knowing my pressure was low in 1 of my tyres

• 5 weeks later...

I couldn't find the same as yours so I purchased this set.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Car-Tyre-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-4-Sensors-Cigarette-Lighter/263074448878?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Delivered in a week :)

Worked good but the sensors are too far out on my IS350 F sport so I moved them to my wifes car.

Are your's inside the rim on the ISF?

Got a link for yours?

12 hours ago, bazzle said:

I couldn't find the same as yours so I purchased this set.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Car-Tyre-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-4-Sensors-Cigarette-Lighter/263074448878?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Delivered in a week :)

Worked good but the sensors are too far out on my IS350 F sport so I moved them to my wifes car.

Are your's inside the rim on the ISF?

Got a link for yours?

Cant find the exact link but this is basically what i have

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Real-time-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-LED-4-External-Sensors-New/202020844976?hash=item2f096175b0:g:q9IAAOSwmiRZkX6Q

There might be a local seller but would cost more

In short i do find them accurate.  They remember the last PSI readout and will only reset once you drive 20km/hr and unscrew/rescrew with accessories on etc

30min drive, couple spirited corners and the PSI variance is about 3PSI +/- on average.  Ususually when i go to the servo (tyres cold) and go to inflate more air, the readout is same as what my unit says or 1 PSI out.

Only had 1 incident, decided to check all tyres with my own guage, similar to the TPMS but when i screwed back all 4 sensors both passenger side sensors started beeping saying 15 and 16 yet i knew they were ok.  Well went to put more air in them, it only allowed about 1PSI as they were actually good and when i screwed them back on this time, they read normal again.

My main purpose in purchasing is that despite a few PSI, i just wanted warning if they get low as in 20 lower etc.  Normally i can feel it if 1 tyre is low but my incident caught me by surprise and hopefully the TPMS will give me the heads up if there is a next time

On 11/11/2017 at 2:33 AM, bazzle said:

Oops, by too far out I meant physically :wacko:

They read the pressures OK.

Oh sorry misunderstood.  Ive got aftermarket wheels and black ones at that so they are hardly noticeable at all.  Most times i struggle to even find them when i want to remove them for whatever reason, inflate air etc.  Due to the spoke design as well, they are hidden reasonably well

20171112_142722.jpg

20171112_142633.jpg

On 11/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, bazzle said:

Phone charger 1amp 5v

My one doesnt have a USB port, it just plugs in the cig lighter for display/power.  When i questioned sellers about your design, they all told me that the USB was its power source.  i.e. plugging in the cig lighter only would not turn it on, i thought that weird but 3 sellers said the same thing so i moved on, got sick of trying to clarify my question lol