Koop21 ISF Build Thread

koop21

5 hours ago, 2bling said:

Looks good.Couldn't you just glue the cover on ?? and how much was the cover did you get it though Toyota cheers.

Its around $60 incl postage from USA - i just purchased one last night via ebay. I will look at the possibility of using an adhesive before going to the trouble of having a steel mounting plate made up. Given that the force placed onto the foot pedal is always pretty direct im inclined to think that a strong adhesive (even Sikaflex perhaps) will be more than enough.

• Like 1

I think you'll actually struggle to find any adhesive that will stick between rubber and metal.... It's more likely you'll end up with a big mess and a ruined park brake pedal. 

Do a small test piece first as it would be a shame if you messed up your pedal box / carpet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 8:18 PM, koop21 said:

I think you'll actually struggle to find any adhesive that will stick between rubber and metal.... It's more likely you'll end up with a big mess and a ruined park brake pedal. 

Do a small test piece first as it would be a shame if you messed up your pedal box / carpet.

Apologies if i have hi-jacked your thread....but i installed the handbrake pedal on the weekend. I had some 3mm steel sheet laying around which i cut to size and then drilled a 6mm hole to attach it to the existing pedal arm using a M6 bolt and nylock nut.Once attached, the Lexus pedal just slipped over the steel sheet and voila. Looks great and is easier to "find" with your feet when you need to use it.Took less that 30 mins from start to finish so its a nice quick mod. Thanks for the idea.

It's all good _ISF. I'm happy that worked out for you too.

I think you and I have sufficiently covered the park brake pedal bling mod for people to reference in future :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

HKS (JDM) Super Sound Master Muffler

I now finally have the final piece to complete my HKS Exhaust setup 😍

This muffler consists of 3-pieces

• Left Muffler Barrel
  • Right Muffler Barrel
  • Y-Pipe to connect the both Muffler Barrels

8d6Y32R.jpg

7DEZnsL.jpg

pxcVepk.jpg

Surprisingly the muffler barrels themselves are smaller then they appear in photos and the Y-pipe is incredibly light.

And here is a mock-up of photo when connected

800wz0y.jpg

This HKS Super Sound Master was also in near perfect condition which i picked from UP Garage!  with Jesse Streeter's help. It did have some light scratches and oxidation spots but overall its near-new in my opinion.

Cost:

• HKS Mid-pipe: ¥129,000
  • Fees: ¥14,960
  • Shipping: ¥23,442

My closing thoughts on the exhaust setup (HKS Mid-Pipe + HKS SSM) is the exhaust notes changes to a slightly more growling/grumble note but doesn't increase the volume much over stock. On idle it can appear its quieter than stock and this would make sense seeing as the barrel design is twin-loop, over a single big barrel (stock).

There is no drone noise whatsoever, the growling/grumble note on low-mid load can be heard over your music and best of all when it can be loud when you're feeling spirited and also a gentleman when you're cruising 👌

It also has to be said that from the HKS exhaust clips i've seen on YouTube they are dramatically different from I expected. The volume and throaty-ness of the clips are louder and more present. I suspect this is due to a lot of the video clips are from the U.S and it's quiet common for them to remove the second set of cats in the mid-pipe. The American variant of HKS Mid-pipe also has the second set of cats removed too.

Here's are some sound clip of both Cold Start and Warm Start. Things to note:

• Cold idle is louder
  • Warm idle appears to be softer or same as stock
  • Light revs up to 3,000rpm

EXART Air Intake Stablizer + TOM'S SUPER RAM II STREET

I'm not a believer that replacing the intake tube on the I-SF yields any increase in performance (take a good look at and you'll see what i mean) however I couldn't pass up the opportunity on getting my hands on EXART's beautiful lobster welded intake arm. In addition it came with a TOM's air filter which in my opinion also doesn't increase performance but is really useful that its reusable.

vifk7GZ.jpg

Here is a close up of the EXART Air Intake Stablizer

MPjpgnH.jpg

1wBE0wM.jpg

The intake arm is made of very thick aluminum and from what i understand the diameter starts off at 85 > 89.1 > 85 which is meant to create some type of charge effect.... 🤷‍♂️ More details of the intake can be found here

Here is comparison of the TOM's Filter Vs. Stock

Qbledf1.jpg

The TOM'S filter is a dry foam filter which can be rinsed out and re-used indefinitely. The stock air filter is a cotton/paper based filter which cannot be reused. This reason makes it a worthwhile replacement and probably increase the intake volume slightly.

jMhD6NG.jpg

Here it is when its all done.

I picked all of this up from Yahoo Japan Auction with the help of Jesse Streeter. They were all in brand new condition.

Cost:

• EXART Air Intake Stablizer + TOM'S SUPER RAM II STREET: ¥40,000
  • Fees: ¥5,499
  • Shipping: ¥0 (shipped with HKS SSM)

Overall I think this is a great aesthetic replacement of the stock air intake piping. The silver piping and blue EXART silicon pipes really pop and matches the F Logo nicely. However if it wasn't for the fact it's rare and looks amazing I'll probably never change the air intake piping for the reasons above and it's expensive.

• 6 months later...

Custom Titanium Muffler (JDM Made)

Thanks to my obsessive behavior of checking Yahoo Japan Auction I was able to spot a custom Titanium Muffler which appeared to be a complete replica version of the TRD CCSP Titanium Muffler (RRP for this was ¥498,000)

Here’s a photo of the TRD CCSP Muffler and blurb

TRD CCSP Titanium Muffler
Suppressing the booming noise at low load and maintaining comfort, this titanium muffler stimulates the driver’s senses with its dry tone when accelerating. A high level of handling stability has been achieved with a significant weight decrease, 7 kg lighter than the manufacturer’s standard product, and the use of an independent stay to suppress muffler movement.”

isf_muffler.jpg

And here’s my Custom Titanium Muffler

8JsSN97.jpg

This muffler consists of 2-pieces

• Left Muffler Barrel
  • Right Muffler Barrel with Y Pipe
  • 70 φ diameter  
  • Weight – 11kg~

We can see from the photos that it does not differentiate too much from the TRD CCSP and it’s almost an exact replica other than the slip-on to connect the left barrel; check out the hangers – same, same.

And for those wondering YES! The entire unit is titanium, even the barrels. Sadly in my excitement I did not weight it but the entire packaged ship including the box and filler was 14.6k. The box alone weighted up 2kg + additional filler it was about 3kg of packing material; so my best guestimation is 11kg; CCSP unit is around 9.7kg.

This custom Titanium Muffler is a brand new one off make, there isn’t any branding or JASMA regulation stamp. The design of this muffler appears to be a straight pipe all the way to the barrels and from there, the pipe in the muffler has a cluster of holes to allow the exhaust note to be muffled. We can also see quality of the welds and piping is amazing. It’s all very impressive! I have no idea why this was sold or where it was crafted but whomever made this clearly is an extremely experienced and skilled craftsman and I wish I knew more.

97KYZGP.jpg

WCeyidy.jpg

Cq4FjNs.jpg

V4VK12i.jpg

3E8ezcL.jpg

Once again thanks to Jesse Streeter's and his team for their help in obtaining this piece.

Cost:

• Custom Titanium Muffler: ¥135,000
  • Fees: ¥15,003
  • Shipping: ¥20,200

I have paired this custom titanium exhaust with my HKS Mid-pipe and the exhaust note has become significantly loud, more so than the HKS muffler. There’s more of a more presence of an exhaust note within the cabin under light to heavy throttle and it has really changed the tune of exhaust to sound more throaty and growly at the same time. I do feel that between 2,000rpm and 3,000rpm with little throttle it can be volume of the exhaust becomes nosey but I suppose that’s to be expected due to the muffler being titanium (thin) and it partially a straight-pipe design. During a spirited drive the exhaust note becomes very addictive and I’m really enjoying it because when I had the HKS muffler the intake noise dominated so much that it made the HKS wash away. So now I get the best of both of induction and exhaust noise 🤗.

Overall the exhaust volume has increased significantly over the HKS muffler, the exhaust note is always present however under idle it’s still fairly quiet. The exhaust tune is very exotic feeling with a uniquely deep bassy, throaty, growl thanks to unique quality titanium brings. Interestingly there is also this *whoosh* noise that I have never really noticed until now after fitting this muffler when you free rev it; free BOV upgrade too it seems.

I think it should also be pointed out that I managed to score a real bargain here too. Typically a titanium exhaust is arm and leg money, but all my limbs and bodily internals are still intact . I suppose this now means I’m praying to Yahoo Japan auction gods for a cheap titanium mid-pipe; let’s go 2019!

Here's are a video clip of both Cold Start and Warm Start.