What to expect from a 120k IS350 service at Lexus

Hi all! Soon enough I'll be bringing my 2011 IS350 F-Sport in for its first service in my ownership, and seeing as the previous owner had them all done at Lexus, and just to retain some value in the logbooks, I've decided to take mine to them too. I'll be in for the 120k service, which as far as I recall, is just the engine oil/filter replacement+some minor inspections.

What prices have you guys paid for a 120k+ service at Lexus? What should I be expecting? Also, I'm aware they sometimes give out loan vehicles for the duration of your service, would it be realistic to request something specific (RC200t/350)? I've never had a service done at a dealership, let alone Lexus, so I have no idea what to expect from them.

Thanks very much! Any experiences/advice would be appreciated :-) 

Ive had my 75k at Melbourne Lexus. Offered me a car but I went for a tour of the City instead.

Team was courteous. Nothing more to say really. Supplied my own oil so saved about $100 :) 

3 hours ago, Glorified Dus Briver said:

Where are you located? The guys and gals in this forum know some very good Lexus mechanics that can be recommended and save you significantly.

Oh really? I'm located in Melbourne's South East, however I don't mind a bit of travel for quality service and a fair price! By Lexus mechanics, do you mean independent? Or a dealership's mechanic? I'm trying to stick to a dealership as to retain the value of the logbook, otherwise I would be going to a family friend for the service.

On 29/03/2018 at 6:37 AM, bazzle said:

Ive had my 75k at Melbourne Lexus. Offered me a car but I went for a tour of the City instead.

Team was courteous. Nothing more to say really. Supplied my own oil so saved about $100 :) 

Thanks for that! Might try supplying my own oil too then, however for some reason I get the feeling that dealerships won't like that as they probably lose a bit of potential money haha. May I ask, how much did you pay for your 75k? A friend of mine recently did hers and paid a whopping 1.2k, which seemed a bit too high.

2 hours ago, choppyshrimp said:

Oh really? I'm located in Melbourne's South East, however I don't mind a bit of travel for quality service and a fair price! By Lexus mechanics, do you mean independent? Or a dealership's mechanic? I'm trying to stick to a dealership as to retain the value of the logbook, otherwise I would be going to a family friend for the service.

Hey choppy, here's a thread from last year with some suggestions/recommendations - https://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/13813-melbourne-non-dealer-service/

Try ringing places to get a feel for it and compare it to what Lexus quotes you.

I'm in NSW but I got my IS250 at ~73K mileage and later on in the year I had the 90K service done at an independent mechanic who knows Lexus cars very well. Paid $1.3k and had some substantial work done.

On 30/03/2018 at 10:32 PM, Glorified Dus Briver said:

Hey choppy, here's a thread from last year with some suggestions/recommendations - https://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/13813-melbourne-non-dealer-service/

Try ringing places to get a feel for it and compare it to what Lexus quotes you.

I'm in NSW but I got my IS250 at ~73K mileage and later on in the year I had the 90K service done at an independent mechanic who knows Lexus cars very well. Paid $1.3k and had some substantial work done.

Thanks a lot for the help! :-)

I'll be sure to ring around when the time comes and see how it goes, hopefully not too much as I've already been hit with our $800 rego renewal and $400 on a blown tire haha.

On 30/03/2018 at 12:32 PM, Glorified Dus Briver said:

I did the same thing late last year. Your advice is spot on, bro. It's certainly worth it "shopping around" a bit before you make a decision for this kind of stuff.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:48 PM, choppyshrimp said:

Thanks for that! Might try supplying my own oil too then, however for some reason I get the feeling that dealerships won't like that as they probably lose a bit of potential money haha. May I ask, how much did you pay for your 75k? A friend of mine recently did hers and paid a whopping 1.2k, which seemed a bit too high.

In my experience, the cars that have depreciated much of it's value, the next wave of buyers in the market for these cars don't really pay any premium for a full lexus logbook history. (not even lexus).

Although in saying that, I take all my ones to Lexus as its just easier allround. Pickup and drop my car off at work or where ever I am (+loaner), peace of mind because these guys work on the same cars day in and out and do the job well. (I once took my is250 many years ago to ultratune and the mechanic took all day just to change sparks..didn't get to anything else..)

But it does pay to call the various dealer service centers around your area as prices do vary quite abit.

1 hour ago, coconut2001 said:

In my experience, the cars that have depreciated much of it's value, the next wave of buyers in the market for these cars don't really pay any premium for a full lexus logbook history.

It's not so much about getting paid a premium, but the car will be easier to get rid of with the buyer being able to see it has been taken care of well having been serviced entirely at Lexus, opposed to Davo's Backyard down the road. But I understand your point! If I may I ask, what kind of prices have you been paying for your services there, seeing as you are a regular? 

6 hours ago, coconut2001 said:

For a 120k km service low to mid 600s. Services ranging from thereabouts upwards of 1k

Ouch, was not expecting that haha. 

Anyway, I'll give an update when the service comes in and let you guys know what prices were associated with the dealers/mechanics. 

Thanks a lot :-) 

On 3/30/2018 at 7:48 PM, choppyshrimp said:

As I said. Take your own oil. Get it at a Repco sale. Dealer wont care if you supply oil as long as it meets spec.

Cost me $726 (90k service) Only parts I paid for were filter(s), brake fluid and key battery.

Just an update, I was quoted  $780 for the 120k service. Quite surprised by how steep it is, guessing most of it is from the brake fluid+oil replacement  stealership labour? What do you guys think? Just bought my own oil on sale for $30, plan to do the cabin filter change myself, and will be taking the car to my own mechanic to do the rest for me. Would be nice to get that logbook stamp, but $780 just feels a bit over the top.

On 18/04/2018 at 6:02 PM, bazzle said:

Its up to you BUT ensure you follow the correc procedure to change the cabin filter or you will stuff up the recirc switch.

Doesn't look too complex, but I'll be careful. Also just to confirm, is Nulon 5w-30 fully synthetic a suitable oil for these engines? Thanks again.

1 hour ago, choppyshrimp said:

Doesn't look too complex, but I'll be careful. Also just to confirm, is Nulon 5w-30 fully synthetic a suitable oil for these engines? Thanks again.

Just check the owners manual - these engines don't require any fancy spec of oil, just as long as its a good quality synthetic in 5w-30 or 5w-40 it will be fine. The Nulon you have purchased will be fine.

42 minutes ago, _ISF said:

Just check the owners manual - these engines don't require any fancy spec of oil, just as long as its a good quality synthetic in 5w-30 or 5w-40 it will be fine. The Nulon you have purchased will be fine.

Yeah I checked, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Thank you! 

re cabin filter 

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that the vehicle is in recirculate mode. If not, you will force open the computer controlled damper and damage the HVAC system.

• 2 months later...

Just had my 2012  IS 350 serviced low k's 39,000 so not as per book

Minor service (low k's)

Replace front brake pads and machined disc rotors total inc parts 

Bits and pieces GST etc

Labour - $583 

Total  - $917 ?????

Does that seem right ???

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked with another dealer seems expensive but not too far out, was more concerned with the labour charge.

Problem is the car is only worth $20k or so and I pay $900 for just a service and brake pads more or less ? 

Guess I just got a shock but I don't want to take it to a non dealer.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, blackadder said:

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked with another dealer seems expensive but not too far out, was more concerned with the labour charge.

Problem is the car is only worth $20k or so and I pay $900 for just a service and brake pads more or less ? 

Guess I just got a shock but I don't want to take it to a non dealer.

we took our 07 RX400H to Lexus of Adelaide, the car cost us $16ish k all up, and the service was just under $1200.
I'd still not hesitate to take it back there unless I could find a Lexus/hybrid trained tech to deal with it.

Different cars I know, but it IS nice knowing its getting looked after by folks who know them inside out, and i'm happy to pay that little bit extra for that, and the brilliant service we received from the dealership

Edited by Cam
typo