Matthew

Hi All,

Just touched up my ‘alpine’ coloured leather seats as I had some wear marks on the driver’s’ bolsters.

I used parts of the ‘Leatherique’ process and was very happy with the colour match they achieved ... I actually took my car to them (Warriewood, Northern Beaches, Sydney). 

To do the job properly I should have removed all the original paint on the seat and then applied the new paint, however this would have been a much bigger job than what I wanted, as I was just planning on ‘touching up’. 

I have attached some before and after shots (the first 4), coupled with a couple of other photos. It is worth pointing out that the driver’s bolsters were not as worn as the photos show after using the prepping agent, however it still provides an indication of what can be achieved.

I used the ‘Wet Wipe’ method with the seats insitu, which was very simple and easy to use.

Cost was less than $200 for all the materials plus your time.

Matthew

1.thumb.jpg.7e4d8168dcfdc64e8a3b49dd1b062f72.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.6c4b29b17484ed0c79b2530c8a56c5b2.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8621726e70cffbd532a12aad0f22b948.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.42dcafee5ad1bd4d209f01c90291363b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.7563717c06571741337366467bfbb311.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.0015930c3822bdd7c287ce211a928783.jpg

• Like 1

What am i doing wrong - i cant see the pics? The drivers seat in my ISF has some light scuffs that i would like to fix up - so would be interested to see the photos.

Hi,

I have just edited / adjusted the order of photos.

Try again now ... and if you still can't see them, send me your email address and I will forward them to you.

Matthew

On 4/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, Matthew said:

Hi,

I have just edited / adjusted the order of photos.

Try again now ... and if you still can't see them, send me your email address and I will forward them to you.

Matthew

All sorted now mate - must have been a timing thing. Huge improvement - looks great.

Have you got a list (or could you take a photo of the products) used to achieve this as i find the website not very straightforward to decipher (the Leatherique website in USA is woeful, thankfully the Aust site is better yet still not great: http://ppcco.com.au/leatherique.html )

My seats are black but i would love to fix up some light scratches and bolster wear from the original owner as it seems they didn't care much about the car.

Hi Babalouie,

They matched the colour onsite, which may be better than the OEM Alpine White, as obviously the colour is a few shades different 8 years on.

Thanks for attaching your link to your previous work, which is a much better and more detailed example of how to use and get the best out of the ‘Leatherique Process’ ... I highly recommend to anyone thinking of using this process to review Babalouie’s previous experience ... he covers the full process and provides detailed pictures and explanations;

For what it is worth I have put some more details around my experience with Leatherique as well as the cost of materials, as others had asked for this, which I had responded to privatel.

For the record and just to confirm I have no affiliation with Leatherique or Permanent Painted Coatings at Warriewood, Sydney.

Hi 

I have attached a copy of the Leatherique instructions and the web link here;

I purchased;
  • Rejuvenating Oil (500ml) - $60 
    • It definitely makes a difference to the softness of the leather ... not sure it made any difference to assist with cleaning
    • 500ml is ample ... you will have a fair bit left over for another time
    • I should have been more liberal with my application in hindsight ... I found this video which was useful to give you a better idea;
  • Pristine Clean (500ml) - $36
    • Have tried the Lexol cleaning agents previously and this was notably better 
    • Again 500ml is ample, however it is designed to be used on an ongoing basis
    •  
  • Prepping Agent (250ml) - $26
    • This is what is used to cut back and remove the old paint
    • I didn't need much to achieve the result I did in the first photo
      • You still need to squirt a bit on the rag, but I assume it works just like Lacquer Thinner
      • So just go easy at first ... if you are worried you could also try in an inconspicuous area like the leather that wraps around underneath the front of your seat
    •  
  • Matched Dye (250ml) - $68
    • Doesn't sound like much, but it will do both your front seats
    • With the Wet & Wipe method you really feel you are putting on wafer like coats of paint

Having used these, you could actually get away with just the Prepping Agent & Matched Dye, however I was quite impressed with the effectiveness of the Pristine Clean and I have even used it on some leather couches around the house ... again notably better than other stuff the wife has used. You can also definitely feel the difference the Rejuvenating Oil makes to the leather’s softness ... but equally you don't need it.

In contrast to their website, which is not the best designed, I found the owner Rob very professional and with his years of experience he got the colour match on the first go, which even he was surprised with. Depending on whether, and where you live in Sydney, it would be worth the drive to Warriewood as you will get a better colour match if they have the 'full' sample to work with.

Leatherique - Instructions.pdf

• 3 years later...

Matthew, this looks amazing.   Both my IS350 and ISF need exactly the same treatment so worth my while and im in Sydney.

Does it work on the bum leather with perferated holes? 

On 10/14/2021 at 3:19 PM, Yueh Fei said:

Matthew, this looks amazing.   Both my IS350 and ISF need exactly the same treatment so worth my while and im in Sydney.

Does it work on the bum leather with perferated holes? 

Hi, If you follow the wet and wipe instructions it works well and won’t fill in the perforated leather. If you try and apply to think a coat it will / can cover the holes, however they seem to clear themselves again … probably because they have nothing to stick onto.Leatherique - Instructions.pdf