What engine oil grade do you use/recommend

My IS 250 is due for an oil change soon, problem is, there are lots of different grades that people seem to use for this car, and i want to know which you guys use AND which one would be best in my car.  It has 60K on the clock, IS250 SL 2011 model. Do less than 2K driving a year - all local.

cheers

Just a 5w-30 or a 5w-40 oil that's full synthetic will do (around $60-70 for a good brand). These engines do not require any fancy grades/specs of oils (unlike BMW/Audi/VW etc) so you can't really go wrong.

Personally i use Penrite HPR5 5w-40 in my IS-F. This is readily available at Repco/Supercheap Auto etc, is Australian made and good quality synthetic oil.

Dealer i go to for service(Lexus of Sutherland) use 10W30 semi synthetic(Castrol) or you can pay extra for 5W40 full synthetic.So based on that when i book my car in for a service I've been supplying my own 5W30 full synthetic oil.Been using either Castrol Edge or Nulon. Due to the kms.you do i'd change the engine oil every 6 mths. instead of every 12.

4 hours ago, _ISF said:

Just a 5w-30 or a 5w-40 oil that's full synthetic will do (around $60-70 for a good brand). These engines do not require any fancy grades/specs of oils (unlike BMW/Audi/VW etc) so you can't really go wrong.

Personally i use Penrite HPR5 5w-40 in my IS-F. This is readily available at Repco/Supercheap Auto etc, is Australian made and good quality synthetic oil.

What annoys me about buying oils is that most of them are all sold in 5ltr qty, and every recent car ive own takes over 6 liters for a chance so you can never get the job done with just the price of one bottle of oil. 

Been thinking about just getting it done at toyota tbh. will enquire on monday.

6 minutes ago, Tony1234 said:

Dealer i go to for service(Lexus of Sutherland) use 10W30 semi synthetic(Castrol) or you can pay extra for 5W40 full synthetic.So based on that when i book my car in for a service I've been supplying my own 5W30 full synthetic oil.Been using either Castrol Edge or Nulon. Due to the kms.you do i'd change the engine oil every 6 mths. instead of every 12.

Why do you reccomend that? I heard too frequent oil changes actually harm the engine...

Hmmm, never heard that too frequent oil changes can harm an engine???

If you look in your service manual I'm sure it says for a car being driven under severe operating conditions,which i believe yours is they recommend 6 month oil and filter changes.

Just buy 2x 5ltrs then you have extra next oil change (supercheap have 6ltrs Penrite) 6.3 ltrs oil change for IS 250 just think yourself lucky the ISF uses 9.5lts good luck.

12 hours ago, Tony1234 said:

Hmmm, never heard that too frequent oil changes can harm an engine???

If you look in your service manual I'm sure it says for a car being driven under severe operating conditions,which i believe yours is they recommend 6 month oil and filter changes.

My driving habits fall under 'severe'? How does that work, I barely drive the thing mate 😄

9 minutes ago, 2bling said:

Just buy 2x 5ltrs then you have extra next oil change (supercheap have 6ltrs Penrite) 6.3 ltrs oil change for IS 250 just think yourself lucky the ISF uses 9.5lts good luck.

I've got my eye set on Mobil 1. If i were to buy 2 bottles, it would cost me around 150 + 40 for filter ..

Toyota have a deal going on right now for an oil change for $230... might as well just take it to them and have them sort it out. Toyota Genuine oil is apparelty rebranded Mobil 1..

You are joking where are you buying a $40 filter. Just check eBay or any store including Toyota for a filter $ 24 .75 GENUINE. Bring it to me I,ll do it for $200 LOL And no its not "rebranded Mobil1 its what ever they get a good deal from oil company's at the time, get your own oil and filter and take it to a GOOD mechanic shop for stuffs sake I am a HONEST mechanic, it is a basic V6 Toyota engine after all....

On 10/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, IS2500 said:

My driving habits fall under 'severe'? How does that work, I barely drive the thing mate 😄

I know it sounds strange so i'd suggest you talk to whoever services your car and see what they think.

Changing oil and filter every 6 mths.is cheap insurance particularly if you plan to keep the car a while. I've never heard of engine damage from too frequent oil and filter changes.

15 hours ago, 2bling said:

You are joking where are you buying a $40 filter. Just check eBay or any store including Toyota for a filter $ 24 .75 GENUINE. Bring it to me I,ll do it for $200 LOL And no its not "rebranded Mobil1 its what ever they get a good deal from oil company's at the time, get your own oil and filter and take it to a GOOD mechanic shop for stuffs sake I am a HONEST mechanic, it is a basic V6 Toyota engine after all....

Most dealership service depts. buy Castrol in bulk and service your car with semi synthetic oil.Only if you ask and pay more do you get full synthetic.

I change the oil and filter myself in between 12 mth.services. it's dead easy,just need the filter removal tool that you can buy on ebay for $6.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, IS2500 said:

The fact that it is rarely driven does not automatically place the car into "severe use" category. What does, are frequent short drives that most of us do every day where the engine doesn't really get to warm up properly (or for long).

I know that both Pentire and Nulon sell their oils in 10L containers - thats how i but my Penrite to service my ISF. The ISF uses around 9.3L so that leaves me just a wee bit left over. I just bought some a few weeks ago (on sale at Supercheap) for $90 for the 10L...bargain.

And no you cannot do any harm to an engine from too frequent oil changes - the more the merrier basically.....but in saying that, any more often than 6 month intervals for a normal street driven car is really just throwing your money down the drain.

ALRIGHT! You all got me. I'll do the damn oil change myself! haha

Honestly, toyota were going to throw some semi-synthetic 10w30 oil in my baby with not only 60K on the clock! Thats blasphemy!

Anyway, i'm going to go with a 5-30, not sure what brand, the best deal i guess, but what is everyones opinion on oil filters? Ryco or K&N?

Lemme know, sitting on ebay right now ready to hit buy it now on one of these...

3 minutes ago, _ISF said:

Nothing wrong with Ryco or K&N etc, but you can buy genuine Toyota/Lexus oil filters for around $25 so id just get genuine.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-Lexus-IS250-IS250C-IS350-Genuine-Oil-Filters/252487015187?fits=Make%3ALexus&epid=1189985773&hash=item3ac9661b13:g:pvMAAOSwoFZas091:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3025!AU!-1:rk:2:pf:0

like this one? does it come complete with everything needed aka o.rings and what not?

4 minutes ago, IS2500 said:

Yes and yes. That's all you need. You can see the new o ring in the photo. You may also need an oil filter canister tool to remove the old filter. These can be purchased or from Supercheap (i got mind from Supercheap for $15 (Ryco make them).

1 minute ago, _ISF said:

Yes and yes. That's all you need. You can see the new o ring in the photo. You may also need an oil filter canister tool to remove the old filter. These can be purchased or from Supercheap (i got mind from Supercheap for $15 (Ryco make them).

Thanks. Yeah i already have the tool in my cart (local auto shops are all sold out near me)

Now, to find a good deal on some oil.

Cheers mate

3 minutes ago, IS2500 said:

Thanks. Yeah i already have the tool in my cart (local auto shops are all sold out near me)

Now, to find a good deal on some oil.

Cheers mate

Supercheap Auto have recently started a huge oil campaign along with the Mighty Car Mods team, and all their oils are on sale. For example, the Penrite 5w-40 HPR5 i use in my ISF is currently on sale for $48.99 for a 5L bottle (usually its $62).

2 minutes ago, _ISF said:

Supercheap Auto have recently started a huge oil campaign along with the Mighty Car Mods team, and all their oils are on sale. For example, the Penrite 5w-40 HPR5 i use in my ISF is currently on sale for $48.99 for a 5L bottle (usually its $62).

Oh nice, i'll check them out. I've always liked Penrite, but I need an 5-30. Trying to follow the manual as closely as possible. I wonder if mobil 1 is on sale... 

The oil campaign they have initiated is with Castrol, Penrite, Gulf Western and Nulon. So Mobil 1 is not part of the sale. Personally i wouldn't touch Gulf Western but the other 3 brands are perfectly fine. I just like Penrite and Nulon as they are Aussie companies, support motorsport, are well priced and are good quality full synthetic oils.

5 minutes ago, _ISF said:

The oil campaign they have initiated is with Castrol, Penrite, Gulf Western and Nulon. So Mobil 1 is not part of the sale. Personally i wouldn't touch Gulf Western but the other 3 brands are perfectly fine. I just like Penrite and Nulon as they are Aussie companies, support motorsport, are well priced and are good quality full synthetic oils.

Gulf and wester? Man, havent used that since i had my old excel 😁

Leaning towards the Penrite i think.

6.3 liters capacity is annoying though. I can buy a 6 liter and just mix some of my old 10-30 Valvoline in there should it require some.

5 minutes ago, IS2500 said:

6.3 liters capacity is annoying though. I can buy a 6 liter and just mix some of my old 10-30 Valvoline in there should it require some.

Yep either that or buy a 6L and a 1L