It’s back!! Isf turbo build - update

18ADF

Hey fellas,

Apologies for the quietness in regards to my turbo build. In my opinion it was a case extremely bad time and money management, can only assume the money dissapeered early in the peace and he relyed on smaller jobs to keep the business afloat. No bingo, I had enough so I had no choice but to get the car back. I received a final invoice Monday after I took the car back for a finished product, remaining works to be completed at a later date was noted at the bottom. Back in November I was onto him about how long it was taking and we agreed when it was going to be ready and that the total was going to be under a certain amount due to delays etc. I paid few grand initially for parts and another few for progress then the work stopped, more and more jobs kept getting pushed out of his shop for land cruisers and the lexus sat. He started doing a little more, he set a couple deadlines for himself which were not met, I gave him many deadlines including final deadline which was the 22nd of March. No surprises it wasn’t finished, so I picked up the car regardless. The invoice received was rubbish, no real itemisation and claimed 300hrs approx spent on it as well as being over agreed amount. I asked very nicely for a itemised invoice to which I was ignored and haven’t heard anything in 3 weeks...

Since then the car has been and gone from Cleveland exhaust for final fabrications that were left unfinished, The hoff done amazing work as always and pushed it through quickly, even got my hands dirty as well and designed/ fabbed the new intake setup/ splash shield as the one on the car was non existent and put together a catch can setup for the engine cover breathers.

Its off again tomorrow to another friends workshop for all coatings (high temp and powder coatings) as well as remaining wiring. Firing it up is not far away now 🙂

02862282-2BE1-4722-9B56-47E2B049862D.jpeg

FE099707-0EB5-4476-88ED-7CECA73DAF4C.jpeg

149C042D-3600-402A-8C81-F5BEC12457EC.jpeg

FF587201-D6F4-4F3C-B71D-BC808CF01E72.jpeg

E918599C-A2EA-46A1-B773-5E37DA479A6D.jpeg

CFF11ABD-CB13-4F32-AAD5-BA9E26C5753D.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting but were's the 300 hours??? in hindsight wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to get a RR Racing super charger kit keep us posted cheers. 

I laughed when I read it, I’m still well under my projected budget of 13ish k finished and tuned. Never been a fan of his kit as it’s limited powerwise and the quality of some areas are not up to my standard. It’s been out how many years now and how many have we seen in Australia...? I will be adding the addition of a interchiller down the track, single digit intake temps would be a dream and even after purchasing that I’ll still be under what the rr Sc kit cost, shipped and installed. 

On 4/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, 18ADF said:

I laughed when I read it, I’m still well under my projected budget of 13ish k finished and tuned. Never been a fan of his kit as it’s limited powerwise and the quality of some areas are not up to my standard. It’s been out how many years now and how many have we seen in Australia...? I will be adding the addition of a interchiller down the track, single digit intake temps would be a dream and even after purchasing that I’ll still be under what the rr Sc kit cost, shipped and installed. 

I dare say if our AUD was better there would be a few of these RR Racing s/c kits getting around Australia by now. For what is already an expensive kit, the poor AUD conversion rate isn't helping the situation.

Kudos for sticking this one-off turbo kit out and dealing with the delays, but this has taken far too long for 99% of people to bother with. I hardly drive my car and i know that any more than 4-6 weeks i would be well and truly pissed off.

• Like 1

No words can describe the frustration, it was either rip the car out and loose what had been paid or wait it out and get my moneys worth. I was lucky to get the car back when I did, I’ve heard of some shops doing crazy things when their business is going down the toilet. On a positive note more work in progress 😎

4BB990A8-3AD5-4E72-82FE-5CF7712633CA.jpeg

Not as yet, have got contacts to get made new copper head gaskets and also found a compatible set of arp head studs I can use. It will only be seeing half a bar or so of boost to begin with and proceed to push it from there. 

Damn its been a long journey but that light at the end of the tunnel isnt far now.

Good to hear youre sticking to it (well guess youve invested too much time and cash to turn back now) but it will certainly be unique and a 1 off.  Hope it performs well.

I dont have that kind of patience.  I know the ISFs are cheap in the US and they sell many SC kits there.  Like others mentioned, our crappy dollar and value of ISF just makes it a more distant option now.  I mean mid 30's, early 40's for a early model ISF, then approx 20k (half the car's value) for the kit.  Perhaps if i had a 2014 model it might prove more worthwhile $$ wise lol

Look forward to the final updates.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s been running and driving a few weeks now

Ive been insanely busy with work this year which has given me pretty restricted time to get stuff done on the car. Went on it’s maiden voyage to lexus Springwood for a few maintenance items, they were a bit confused and intrigued at the same time. Just a matter of finding time now to get home to get it tuned, the more it got driven the more the ecu was adapting to the new mods, was good to hear a slight turbo whistle and exhaust note on the car has changed completely.

72ADE7C4-952F-4AA9-8EC3-A9C91D0104FC.jpeg

4E7DFD5D-73F3-4C15-A2AF-B8F9900C927C.jpeg

Will be good to hear how it all turns out once tuned and final touches all done.  Definitely a nice sleeper and hopefully you'll end up taking some C63's etc by surprise 🙂

Hopefully not much lag and its good for the track and street

Update, back at next level motorsport revising the oil setup. A oil tank on the drain tank got fabricated to capture any excess oil sitting in the turbo to save it from building up onstart up, also a time delayed relay getting added to the power supply for the scavenge pump to run after car has shut off to any excess oil is removed prior to firing. 

• 2 months later...

Another revision on the turbo sump, we were getting too much pressure so new sump got fabricated with a vent incorporated and line sizing changed. Has been driven a couple hundred ks since without a issue. Finally feeling like all the teething issues are ironing out and ready to throw some boost at it. 

4323EE67-B964-445E-8398-7D8C55B50B53.jpeg

23A1B89D-5B6B-48E7-A580-645F0E09ADB6.jpeg

ECA85A55-ED77-4414-864C-EF7BBA5CF123.jpeg

20 hours ago, 18ADF said:

Finally feeling like all the teething issues are ironing out and ready to throw some boost at it. 

I can "feel" some wheelspin coming on 🚔😞

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Car is booked in for it’s tune on the 30th March. Had to put the project to the side for quite awhile due to personal reasons. Defs not *BLEEP*ed I can assure you