Purchasing a 2012 is350 F Sport...

Hello all,

I'm in the market and looking at buying a Gen II 2012 (ish) is350 F Sport. There's a couple that I have my eye on.

I'm returning to Japanese vehicles after an interesting time with European cars. From what I've researched and basic common sense, this vehicle has a good reliability record.

I am open to advice on any 'watch out' items related to this model.

Being a hands on mechanical engineer and having experience with vehicles, I'm familiar with all the usual things to look for (both Engine & Body), but am interested in all the 'specific' items that owners know about or have had history with... eg. "at this RPM feel for this vibration" "Listen for a knock or bump when doing....." "open up or look inside and check to see if this has been disturbed because that means...." etc etc

Thanks in advance to any and all advice - it's much appreciated.

Glen.

I was in the same boat about 4 years ago. Ended up with an MY2012 (dec 2011) IS 350 F sport.

Great car and I have had a few great cars 🤑

Only issue I found (and it appears to be a non issue) is the injector pumps are noisy on this engine series. 

You learn to not hear it 😉

Front end tyre toe wear can be seen on some but is an easy fix either/and adjusting to '0'toe and replacing front lower rear bushes with those from a higher spec car.

Also after scraping a couple of rims on the kerb I upsized all the tyres one size 235 front and 265 rear now.. Just a couple of mm makes all the difference esp on front.

No downside to driving I've found. The F sport suspension is a good compromise for handling and driveability.

Good luck in your search... 👍