First Impressions On The Open Road – 2004 Rx330

1. Tyre noise seems excessive at speed, certainly not as one reviewer said: ‘one of the overriding sensations is an almost complete absence of road and wind noise – in keeping with usual Lexus standards. At highway speeds there's barely a whisper, the occupants cocooned in an automotive cone of silence’. Not my experience! Maybe its our West Australian country road surfaces, or my tyres (fairly worn at only 38000 Kms).

2. Ample power for overtaking, engine quiet and responsive. Found it better to flick to 4th gear prior to overtaking.

3. Cruise consumption seemed to be around an acceptable 11 l. per 100 km.

4. Annoying reflections of the dashboard top in the windscreen. Maybe caused by over zealous detailing resulting in high shine. Will try a matte finish, or will have to go for one of those felt dashboard mats.

5. Steering a bit on the light side, but handling acceptable.

6. I have the tyres at 36 psi so the ride is a little bumpy and skittish, but will result in increased tyre life and handling.

7. The climate system is a bit of a mystery to me – you seem to have to set it at around 25 degrees (both sides) even though the outside temperature was only in the low 20’s or else freeze. I ended up turning off the A/C all together. The problem may be that the car had been sitting in the sun and that vast dash area heats up and radiates such heat into the cabin that the system is sensing that and trying to overcome it.

8. Cruise control on mine will not resume the previous speed after you have set it and then braked. The symbol appears to indicate a pull towards the driver should ‘resume’, but that had no effect on mine.

9. Seating very comfortable, both front and rear, and infinitely adjustable to easily vary a setting.

10. Night lighting impressive but the upper cut off a bit sudden on low beam for me – high beam very good and the stalk handily placed.

11. Sat nav functionally excellent, but my database must be at least 5 years old and coverage away from the city area pretty sparse.

Any comments from other owners?

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my December 2003 RX330 Sport Luxury on Monday - Magnetic Blue with Ivory.

Still with 1 year factory warranty remaining, + 1 extra year Encore warranty. Only 42,000km on the clock.

In mint condition.

I'm liking the car more and more each time I drive it - I looked (and drove) the new MY07 Subaru Outback 3.0R Premium, but went for the "Rex" when I realised I could get it for the same price. The interior has more than ample room, the seats are comfy, the Mark Levinson stereo is excellent, the snat nav is actually quite handy, and it's nowhere near as annoying to drive in city traffic / parking as I thought it would be.

My rear cargo blind does not rattle, not a single wheel has been "curbed", and the original Michelin tyres still look to be in good condition (running them at 36psi). I'm a bit surprised that the tyre size is unusual - from what I can see, it's Michelin or nothing as far as replacements go.....

I just picked up my December 2003 RX330 Sport Luxury on Monday - Magnetic Blue with Ivory.

Still with 1 year factory warranty remaining, + 1 extra year Encore warranty. Only 42,000km on the clock.

In mint condition.

I'm liking the car more and more each time I drive it - I looked (and drove) the new MY07 Subaru Outback 3.0R Premium, but went for the "Rex" when I realised I could get it for the same price. The interior has more than ample room, the seats are comfy, the Mark Levinson stereo is excellent, the snat nav is actually quite handy, and it's nowhere near as annoying to drive in city traffic / parking as I thought it would be.

My rear cargo blind does not rattle, not a single wheel has been "curbed", and the original Michelin tyres still look to be in good condition (running them at 36psi). I'm a bit surprised that the tyre size is unusual - from what I can see, it's Michelin or nothing as far as replacements go.....

Hi Losiho

Have you noticed the reflections in the windscreen as yet? I'm in Perth and we have lots of sun over here - it seems better since I took the excessive shine off that the detailer had left...

Cheers

Bear