Careful..paint On The Is250 Is Soft

Hi people,

I am posting this only due to my experience in cars as i was once a panel beater /spray painter in my younger years. I have been doing a bit of research on the forums in the USA also with my own experience with my own car. This is for those people who really don't know about what you have bought or know about the paint on your car. The paint on the is250 is very soft compaired to older models, i think this is due to the type of paint they are using on this new models. It is said lexus used an environmentally friendly paint on the new models making it softer than previous model.

Here is a link in the usa, these guys are fanatics with their cars so you could learn something from them from their posts and recomendations

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=paint&st=0

Also when you wash your car it's best you do it your self otherwise scratches will appear in no time. The best thing to do is go to your car lovers joint and use their gerni(high pressure water gun) to get rid of your top layer of dust and dirt before you hand wash your car with decent car wash, not the stuff you get from coles either.  I am talking about the cheap stuff from Coles catalogue. I wrote a detailed segment on how i detailed my car way back if your interested

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3202

I won't go into detail here now, that's what the links for as it might sound anal to some but to a car lover it's a must to keep scratches to a minimun. The new lexus paint will take up to a year for the paint to harden, so be careful when you wash it. Just thought you should know.

palms

Edited by ilv1004s

Hi Palms,

Picking up my IS250 from Chatswood Lexus tomorrow afternoon (black).

Thanks for the heads up on the paint!

Cheers,

Scotty

Hi people,

I am posting this only due to my experience in cars as i was once a panel beater /spray painter in my younger years. I have been doing a bit of research on the forums in the USA also with my own experience with my own car. This is for those people who really don't know about what you have bought or know about the paint on your car. The paint on the is250 is very soft compaired to older models, i think this is due to the type of paint they are using on this new models. It is said lexus used an environmentally friendly paint on the new models making it softer than previous model.

Here is a link in the usa, these guys are fanatics with their cars so you could learn something from them from their posts and recomendations

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=paint&st=0

Also when you wash your car it's best you do it your self otherwise sratches will appear in no time. The best thing to do is go to your car lovers joint and use their gerni(high pressure water gun) to get rid of your top layer of dust and dirt before you hand wash your car with decent car wash, not the stuff you get from coles either. I wrote a detailed segment on how i detailed my car way back if your interested

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3202

I won't go into detail here now, that's what the links for as it might sound anal to some but to a car lover it's a must to keep scratches to a minimun. The new lexus paint will take up to a year for the paint to harden, so be careful when you wash it. Just thought you should know.

palms

Palms,

I have a black is250 and have noticed the paint is very soft also!!

We were recomended to use a certain product to protect our car which will remain nameless and it completely swirled up the paint. I had to have it professionally buffed!!!

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, i will check out your detailing area right now. I'm sure you are just as pedantic as I am, and you have to be! Only the best for my baby!!

Good work!

Bell

Just adding to this i was thinking about getting my own girni from bunnings to use on my car. Some models allow you to get the water from a bucket as well as from the tap. Seeing that we are allowed to wash our cars from a bucket would this be the perfect thing to have in the garage for that sunday wash. Anyone think it wouldn't be allowed? Please comment.

palms

Hi all!

If you guys looking for long term investment on our IS250, i suggest to put a clear bra on asap before you get more rock chips.

Its will cost around $650.00 including installation, i already put one on my IS250 (Chrystal Mist). The whole kit including full front bumper,

front bonnet, headlights, foglights, rear view mirrors, behind 4 door handles and a piece cover on top of rear bumper. This guy (www.ozicozi.com.au)

done a great job for my car and buy the way i'm from Melbourne.

Cheers

Lexxy

Just adding to this i was thinking about getting my own girni from bunnings to use on my car. Some models allow you to get the water from a bucket as well as from the tap. Seeing that we are allowed to wash our cars from a bucket would this be the perfect thing to have in the garage for that sunday wash. Anyone think it wouldn't be allowed? Please comment.

palms

What model of cars would let you wash and what models dont lol?

I wash my car not too often but i do it behind closed doors, and quickly too....using a bucket.

Palms,

Hi Bell,

Were you offered the 5th dimension paint and interior protection package when you ordered your car?

If so,did you purchase it and is that what caused your paint to swirl when you washed it with the kit that you were given when you got your car?

I'd be very interested to know!

Cheers,

Scotty

We were recomended to use a certain product to protect our car which will remain nameless and it completely swirled up the paint. I had to have it professionally buffed!!!

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, i will check out your detailing area right now. I'm sure you are just as pedantic as I am, and you have to be! Only the best for my baby!!

Good work!

Bell

Palms,

Hi Bell,

Were you offered the 5th dimension paint and interior protection package when you ordered your car?

If so,did you purchase it and is that what caused your paint to swirl when you washed it with the kit that you were given when you got your car?

I'd be very interested to know!

Cheers,

Scotty

Good work!

Bell

Scotty i never got offered anything, i think it had to do with my knowledge of cars :) I said what i wanted, enough said. I will tell you this, i have looked at a product that will protect the paint better than waxes. There are a few detailers around using the product and to be honest it looks good on paper. I am thinking of doing it with our (new black) honda jazz first to see the out come before jumping inn, then again might just do it on the is250 :) I had some bird doop on the bonnet that i didnt get off because i missed it, now i have to buff it out, if i had this product i could be spending my time having a cool beer by the pool, enough said.

Here is the web site

http://www.infinityauto.com.au/index.htm

and another related to it

http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/truth_paint.html

palms

I have also found out the hard way how soft the paint is. Noticed numerous light scratches on my IS250 last week and they have to be from washing. I always hand wash, but I will have to be even more careful and ensure I use a good quality detergent and cloth!

• 1 year later...

I have a simple method which Im happy to share. For light washing, (dust, minor road grime, general insect/bird gunk) I use a Meguairs waterless car wash (Im asusming any other reputable brand is fine). Always use clean terry-towelling cloths (one to wipe, one to lightly polish), which I wash after every use and throw out after about 8-10 washes. I wont give you all the instructions - but this works well, especially for mine being a dark (sapphire) colour. Do not use too much downward force. The same rules apply - do section by section, and out of the sun.

If there is actual dirt, mud, lots of insect/bird gunk, then the usual hand wash with a reputable car wash is fine - again ONLY using clean terry towelling cloths. DONT use sponges, shirts, bath towels - as these will trap bits of dirt, rock etc. that will scratch the surface. A good quality chamois to wipe clean is not to be underestimated, particularly if you are using tank water like me, which tends to streak more.

As for those nasty dusty front wheels, a dry wipe with a soft cloth is all I do. Those alloy wheel cleaner sprays are a waste of money (some are $20 a pop). If you need liquid for more stubborn brake dust, warm water with a little bit of wool mix is good.

Again (and this should be common knowledge for all car owners) NEVER use laundry or dishwashing detergents, due to their salt content! And remember, as soon as you see any bird crap on the duco - get it off asap, especially if you're near the sea!! More than a day, and you'll have damage.

I know - Im telling people everything they already know - but handy to get a reminder now and then.

FWIW, it's not the "paint" that's soft, it's the clearcoat. It's soft to absorb small chips and nicks - but the weakness is it scratches easily.

palms

Palms

Gotta love a clean Black car :P but I bet those rims are a pain in the .... the clean :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
FWIW, it's not the "paint" that's soft, it's the clearcoat. It's soft to absorb small chips and nicks - but the weakness is it scratches easily.

You are right Buddy !

It's the clear that's very soft ! And don't i know it, i polished the paint or should i say clear on this Black IS 250

Regards Mario

You are right Buddy !

It's the clear that's very soft ! And don't i know it, i polished the paint or should i say clear on this Black IS 250

Regards Mario ;)

• 2 months later...
Hi all!

If you guys looking for long term investment on our IS250, i suggest to put a clear bra on asap before you get more rock chips.

Its will cost around $650.00 including installation, i already put one on my IS250 (Chrystal Mist). The whole kit including full front bumper,

front bonnet, headlights, foglights, rear view mirrors, behind 4 door handles and a piece cover on top of rear bumper. This guy (www.ozicozi.com.au)

Cheers

Lexxy

Hi Lexxy,

I just purchased a new IS 250 and have already obtained 2 stone chips. Subsequently, I have been investigating car bra's, bonnet protection, etc and have found that clear 3M type film maybe the way to go. Then I came across your post regarding the clear bra you have put on your vehicle. Wondering if you can tell me whether your product has done it's job thus far ie: do small stones penetrate it and mark the paint?, Is it peeling off? Does washing the car affect it? Or any other relevent info!!!

Regards,

Maxi

Hi all!

Cheers

Lexxy

Hi Lexxy,

I just purchased a new IS 250 and have already obtained 2 stone chips. Subsequently, I have been investigating car bra's, bonnet protection, etc and have found that clear 3M type film maybe the way to go. Then I came across your post regarding the clear bra you have put on your vehicle. Wondering if you can tell me whether your product has done it's job thus far ie: do small stones penetrate it and mark the paint?, Is it peeling off? Does washing the car affect it? Or any other relevent info!!!

Regards,

Maxi

I think this topic will goes on and on as long as there is a new IS owner join this forum lol

hmmm.. im thinking of signwriting my is250. i've had it for around 10 months.

what are ppls thoughts? I have a print, design and marketing business, should i not?

www.vincenthunter.com.au

not to be harsh or anything but your post has nothing to do with the thread! please stay on topic and advertise elsewhere!

Would a better word for soft be "thin"?

From the start i knew it isn't as thick and deep as other cars, but i think this has something to do with the type of coat. Most expensive cars are like this.

Cars like Honda have a deep spec finish (pearl metallic) and i much prefer this than what's on the Lexus now.

• 1 month later...

Have to come back to this topic.

I think there are a few types of finishes with our 250 cars, pending colours and all but the silver i have (2006) has paint that are not only thin but also attract dirt that doesnt really wash off. Little spots of dirt that sticks especially on the rear bumper doesn't come off even with harsh washing. I am beginning to get worry about the quaility of the paint. I know Honda has deep pearl metallic paint that are really dirt resistence. Can someone comment?

I think there are a few types of finishes with our 250 cars, pending colours and all but the silver i have (2006) has paint that are not only thin but also attract dirt that doesnt really wash off. Little spots of dirt that sticks especially on the rear bumper doesn't come off even with harsh washing. I am beginning to get worry about the quaility of the paint. I know Honda has deep pearl metallic paint that are really dirt resistence. Can someone comment?

ldc

Have you tried claying your paint? http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products...y_bars_and_kits

This does a great job of removing the contaminants that will bond to the paint and make it feel rough. It can then be easily waxed, and will then be much easier to clean.

The contaminants will always settle on the horizontal surfaces, (bumper, boot lid, bonnet and roof) moreso than the sides of the car. Even a brand new car off the boat will benefit from the claying as it collects a lot of cr@& between the factory and your dealer.

ldc

Have you tried claying your paint? http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products...y_bars_and_kits

This does a great job of removing the contaminants that will bond to the paint and make it feel rough. It can then be easily waxed, and will then be much easier to clean.

The contaminants will always settle on the horizontal surfaces, (bumper, boot lid, bonnet and roof) moreso than the sides of the car. Even a brand new car off the boat will benefit from the claying as it collects a lot of cr@& between the factory and your dealer.

Bluey,

have you clayed your car yet? If so, how often would you do it, and do you polish before applying the sealant?

Is this solution similar to T-CUT solution? as I seem to cannot wash off these specs of dirt with force when washing.

Nothing Like that. It's like rubbing your car with a lump of plasticine. You spray on some lubricant then rub the area and it removes all the little bumps.

You won't believe how easy it is until you try it. Try this pdf file to see how it's done. http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/public_file/46

I wouldn't wax/polish my car before claying it.