Things To Look For When Buying A Used Altezza

Hey all

Am very shortly looking at purchasing a specific 99 Altezza RS200 Z-edition and wondered if you guys had any advice as to things to look out for as commonly wearing/failing in Altezzas. I am getting an NZ AA check done on the vehicle, and the current owner sounds pretty decent but wondered if those with experience around here had any thoughts.

It's got 54000kms on the clock, 10,000 done in NZ (44 in Japan) and has all certification papers. It's been lowered extensively on adjustable platform suspension, has an aftermarket HKS pod filter mounted and 18" rims. Otherwise, it's stock.

It's at a really good price, so I don't mind if I have to do a bit of work on it, just wondering if there are any show-stoppers to watch out for.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Fair call. The reason I haven't gone for something more hardcore is that the guy seems pretty trustworthy and has been upfront about a couple of problems he knows the car has, and has had it serviced by MacLennan - whom I called today to see what they thought. It's a really good deal, so I'm not too worried if I have to spend a bit of money - just wanted some feedback.

Thanks for the welcome - all going well, I will be a more regular member around here soon! :D

maybe check the air conditioning?

mine hasn't worked properly since the day i bought it (and i only found out lately that this has always been a fault)

like, i have to keep the air-con temperature right down at the lowest, and if i turn it up by 5 degrees or something, it starts to get really warm real quick.

and its never cold even adjusted to the lowest temperature...

got it fixed but then screwed up again after 2 days, so i won't bother with it anymore

so maybe u could check that :--)

another common is the CD player if its the stock one... almost everyone has the same problem - CDs jaming in the head deck

check the old post about common altezza problems :--)

anyways, good luck with the purchase and welcome!

It was checked by Toyota when it came into NZ last year in August, and I've seen that report - no known problems. I've heard bad things about their checks anyway - that they don't do a better job than the AA, and they charge the same price? The AA check is already booked, so I can't back out of that - hmm, not sure if I'd want to ask him to get another one done!

I know that the CD player has the jamming problem - he's told me about that, but he doesn't know what the Error 3 is (unlike me, having done research!), so I may be able to fix it. I'm not too worried as I am likely to replace it with an aftermarket double DIN unit anyway.

Cheers for the A/C tip - I'll ask him about that and check it when I do my final inspection. :-]

As far as AA goes they are pretty good, however seroius problems usally cant be seen without opening up the engine or thereforth. The AA should be able to spot major problems or advise of the overall condition from a general degree.

The AA down here in hamilton have been decent in previous years. usually you should be alright, its with fresh imports that a problem can come down the track and unnoticable with 1st inspections.

The only people ive heard talking about the AA not being so good is Aucklanders, but I have to question their inspections aswell but as previously said, without taking stuff to parts you cannot guarentte no problems.

However a good mechanic should be able to listen to engine noises, test drive the car for any obvious wear and tear and visually inspect for any concerns.

my 1 cent worth...........Hayden

Cheers - thanks for the feedback.

The car passed the AA test pretty well, only a couple of issues that I had already been told about by the owner - nothing big. He offered to get it serviced by Toyota before I take ownership of it as well, so I have taken him up on that and will shortly be the owner of a beautiful yellow Altezza RS200 Z-edition, newly serviced by Toyota. :]

I figure that if the service highlights a big problem that the AA missed, I can renege on the deal and only lose my deposit of $500. I'm happy with that risk!

Guess I'll have to update my profile in the garage when I officially get it ah! How exciting...

hope it all goes well for you and we will see more of ya on the forums!!!!!!

to be honest, has anyone actually had any problems with altezza's, apart from the gear box clunk and brake clunk, i've not heard of any problems? "knocking on wood" :huh:

cheers.........Hayden

Def will be hanging around more - especially as from what I read I'll have to at least get some advice on a heat guard for the aftermarket HKS pod filter already fitted!

Wicked community too - I've already sourced valuable information from reading heaps of threads around here.

Hey, welcome to the club!!! :)

and congratulations on your FANTASTIC choice in colour for your new Altezza!!!!!!! (not that I'm bias or anything!) hehe ;)

I'm sure you'll love the car (and the club) as much as everyone else here does!!! B)

:) Diane

your not doing the yellow is the best color again are you!!!!!!! ;)

Funny, because I really had to be sold on the colour. It did it for me when I was test driving it, cruising down the motorway at about 105kmh with the current owner beside me, being passed by a family in a bog standard Falcon. Every single one of them was gawking out the window at the Tezza and me.

It was *BLEEP*ing priceless - I had to have the car right then and there. This car is stunning. :D

The yellow is amazing ah, and there aint many around in it as far as I've seen. Yellow just says "Look at me"... I love it. (and 18" alloys, and hardcore lowering on platform suspension kinda helps as well...)

If you're nosey, this is what I'm buying:

3454411_full.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...asp?id=10550257

Pics to be posted from my digicam after I get it I guess!

Very nice!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I was sold on the colour too! Saw one about a year ago on the motorway, and knew straight away I wanted one!!!!

Yeah, I agree with the "look at me" bit. Is this a yellow thing, or for altezza's in general?!? I cant go anywhere without someone seeing me! (which makes it difficult when you wanna sneak away from work ten minutes early....you always get sprung!!!!!!) :D

Have you thought about getting personalised plates?

Anyways, your car looks great! Bet you're counting down the days now till you get it!!! :)

Well, Altezza's in general are pretty attractive - but the yellow thing is the real "look at me" I reckon...!

I have indeed thought about the personalised plate... was originally gonna get one like LTEZZA or ALT3ZA, but since the car is completely debadged currently, maybe I don't want one like that!

I was pretty keen on XLR8N last week, but I checked this morning and suddenly it's a Brokered Plate! Currently debating W0O0O0 or W0OO0W or something though. :D

And counting the days is right, except now it's hours... 29 in fact. :-p Can't quite believe I'm going to be getting my dream car... and especially one as unique as this one.

I shall have to bring my over-enthusiasm to the next meet. Any excuse to drive! Maybe we should have one at Manfeild on a track day (albeit further for the Aucklanders to travel!)...

Funny, because I really had to be sold on the colour. It did it for me when I was test driving it, cruising down the motorway at about 105kmh with the current owner beside me, being passed by a family in a bog standard Falcon. Every single one of them was gawking out the window at the Tezza and me.

It was *BLEEP*ing priceless - I had to have the car right then and there. This car is stunning. :D

The yellow is amazing ah, and there aint many around in it as far as I've seen. Yellow just says "Look at me"... I love it. (and 18" alloys, and hardcore lowering on platform suspension kinda helps as well...)

If you're nosey, this is what I'm buying:

3454411_full.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...asp?id=10550257

Pics to be posted from my digicam after I get it I guess!

Make sure to do 2 things after you bought it....get rid of those tail light covers and then get a altezza emblem back on!!! just my 02 cents!

Matt :D

I'm probably going to offend some people by saying this, but I was going to get rid of the tail light covers on my Tezza when i bought it but it grew on me, now i actually prefer the covers.

Half of the new cars that you can buy now have a ripoff of the altezza style lights as well as every 2nd lancer or civic, just not as unique as they were. Nearly everyone now has what was one of the most distinctive features of the car.

Just my 2 cents.

Altezzas a definately very nice cars though, people are always checking them out - one person pulled up beside me at ~ 105 kph on the motorway to take a photo of my ride! You wont regret buying one.

Gareth

my covers are still on, I think it is a change from most altezza;s without covers!

Plus if anyone wants to buy a personalised plate as discussed above check out this link for a group buy where you only pay $339 which is a big saving. only two more people needed. I am "flyevo" on the mitsubishi posts and am signed up for a plate!!!

http://forums.nzmmc.co.nz/viewtopic.php?p=186933#186933