Is250 Rattling From Rear Window Needs A Full Windscreen Replacement&#3

All,

Just like to share that I had this loud rattling noise coming from the rear window/parcel shelf area. Turns out it's some sort of rear windscreen defect and the lexus dealership need to replace my whole rear window.

So my car is out for at least 2 days to fix this, and the continued sqeaking noise coming from my sunroof.......A little disappointed at the quality so far since I've had to go in 3 times now.

Anyone else have the same problems with your is250?

It's actually the whole rear windscreen. Lexus are getting windscreen obrien in to replace the entire thing. That's why they need it for 2 days.

I asked the lexus service manager and he said he's had a reasonable number of is250s come in for an entire rear winder swap........scary.

Moonroof rattles aswell but is easily fixed temporary with rubber lubricant.....still sucks that the moonroof fix is not permanent though.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Bought an IS250 Pretige with roof 4 mths ago. Have been experiencing rattling issue at the back of the vehicle (rear wind screen area). The rattling happens on and off, and the noise is minimal but annoying. It makes me feel this $60+K vehicle is very fragile.

I've sent the car back to the dealer more than 4 times. Last time they took out the rear windscreen, adjusted mount points and put it back. But the rattling noise still there.

I don't know whether it is the same issue as ozis250 mentioned.

Would ozis250 advise which dealership did you take your IS to?

Thanks in advance.

omg are there any parts that don't rattle??? :unsure:

I've had the dash rattle fixed, apparently they have factory fix for a common problem but still don't prevent the problem at the time of manufacture <_<

Now I have to worry about rear windscreen, sunroof and seat belt rattles?? :o

• 2 weeks later...
very common problem.. does it rattle when the sun heats the rear shelf?

Hi Steve,

The rattle happens whenever it feels like......no matter it's day/night, warm/cool.....

Few days ago, I brought the car back and demonstrated the rattle to the dealership technician....currently is in repair. I doubt if they can fix it this time.....don't know what to do.....probably ask Lexus Australia for refund or replacement....

omg are there any parts that don't rattle??? :unsure:

I've had the dash rattle fixed, apparently they have factory fix for a common problem but still don't prevent the problem at the time of manufacture <_<

Now I have to worry about rear windscreen, sunroof and seat belt rattles?? :o

Hi All,

Forgot to tell everybody.....when I was test drive my car with the technician, guess what......he also identified rattling from the dash as well........WTF......

Don't know whether it will be a matter of time when the rattling happens from the sunroof :(

Main rattle for the IS250 is the Dash, which is about a day fix job. Seat belt rattle? try turning the buckle around the right way. Never heard of the rear window rattle, so i suggest all of you that are "fearing" the rear window rattle, relax. As for the moon roof, im guessing its doing it when its open...wind will cause stuff to move around.

• 4 years later...

I self fixed my rattles, don't have any other problems.

hey, how did u finish? r u in melb? If u take car to lexus fix how much they charge u? I have nosie come from side windows and dash. lexus city ask for 1000+ to fix the dash but not guarantee all nosie will gone.

I'm wondering whether the rattle that some of you are referring to is a misaligned lug inside the C-pillar. You think its coming from the rear window and its not, its just a plastic lug that has slipped out of alignment and is a simple fix for the technician to remove the velour trim off the C-pillar and tighten the lug.

Moonroof has been a big let down for this vehicle. Reckon its the single biggest source of rattle complaint for the IS. Reckon the designers/engineers back in Japan will have ringing ears about it.

I self fixed my rattles, don't have any other problems.

hey, how did u finish? r u in melb? If u take car to lexus fix how much they charge u? I have nosie come from side windows and dash. lexus city ask for 1000+ to fix the dash but not guarantee all nosie will gone.

For me the noise was from the passenger side of the dash, coming somewhere between the glass and dash. When i press down the dash near the glass the noise ceased so what i did for (a long period) was jam down the gap a piece of cloth making sure enough was sticking out so that it can be taking back out. The noise went away. After a period of time i took out the cloth and it seems to be gone or lessened. I'm thinking the dash insulation wasn't adequate and could be same for most areas usch as vents.

@ldc - Ha! I got you (there were other comments here about rear windscreen/rear parcel shelf as well). You describe exactly what I had - when my car was less than 12 months old. I understand from the technician its actually a bit of insulation that has moved over time. They had a look at it - and readjusted the insulation. The clicking sound disappeared for a while but then returned for a bit - then went away for good and has never returned.

Only annoyance with the IS for me have been a few niggly rattles. Car has been pretty close to spot on otherwise. What is interesting is that my car 6 years on has no rattles at all. Most have just seemed to work themselves out. I wonder whether its because the car is assembled very tight (tighter than most vehicles), and over time the gaps loosen a bit and there is a bit of give and then no rattles. But as I said, from about Year 3 to today (Year 6), car has virtually been rattle free.

• 8 years later...