NOTE: This is the first in what I hope will be a series of HOWTOs, documenting the collective knowledge of members of this forum. It would be appreciated if a moderator could pin this topic (and all other HOWTO topics) so they're always available at the top of the forum.

----------------------

TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack

SUCCESFUL/FAIL: Success

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: medium (requires fancy footwork!)

INTRODUCTION

As we all know, disabling traction control on the IS (by hitting the button twice) is only a temporary disable. As soon as the car detects serious slip, it kicks back in and you lose all that lovely power at the back wheels. Lexus considers this a feature, as you should only ever need to temporarily disable traction control in unique situations, like trying to get out of snow or something. To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to permamently disable traction control, but it is possible to completely disable it for the duration of a drive (ie: between starting the car and turning it off again).

STEPS

1. Start the car with the park brake on

2. Apply foot brake twice, keeping the foot brake down on the second push

3. Apply park brake twice, leaving it down on the second push

4. Skid light on the dash will illuminate if successful

If it doesn't work the first time, switch the car off and start again at step 1.

dont u have a button for that?

i have TCS on and off button

If you read the introduction again, you'll see that the TCS button doesn't completely disable traction control. As per the owner's manual, it only disables it temporarily for the purposes of getting out of a slippery situation, like snow or mud. This method lets you totally disable TCS for the duration of a drive (between starting the car and turning it off again).

thats intresting...

i know the sequence..

but i dont have a foot brake as mine is a manual

and as far as i know

my traction control completely disbables when i press the button i have two buttons i was actually buring some rubber last night when it was raining...

so im guessing manual and autos are different in that sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

sweet...it worked :)

finally can get a bit of drift on corners.

At least with the c63 amg if you switch it off....its OFF :)

I never got to push the IS-F had enough to test it with it off....the dealer was getting a bit anxious when i took a roundabout at close to 100 in 2nd gear.

• 6 months later...
NOTE: This is the first in what I hope will be a series of HOWTOs, documenting the collective knowledge of members of this forum. It would be appreciated if a moderator could pin this topic (and all other HOWTO topics) so they're always available at the top of the forum.

----------------------

TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack

SUCCESFUL/FAIL: Success

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: medium (requires fancy footwork!)

INTRODUCTION

As we all know, disabling traction control on the IS (by hitting the button twice) is only a temporary disable. As soon as the car detects serious slip, it kicks back in and you lose all that lovely power at the back wheels. Lexus considers this a feature, as you should only ever need to temporarily disable traction control in unique situations, like trying to get out of snow or something. To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to permamently disable traction control, but it is possible to completely disable it for the duration of a drive (ie: between starting the car and turning it off again).

STEPS

1. Start the car with the park brake on

2. Apply foot brake twice, keeping the foot brake down on the second push

3. Apply park brake twice, leaving it down on the second push

4. Skid light on the dash will illuminate if successful

If it doesn't work the first time, switch the car off and start again at step 1.

• 1 month later...

In case the video disappears, this is what I gathered from it:

- Ensure foot brake is disengaged

- Hold foot on brake and start engine then remove foot

- Engage the foot brake

- Press the brake pedal twice

- Release the foot brake

- Hold foot on brake

- Engage and release the foot brake twice

- Engage foot brake

- Press brake twice

I'll try it tonight and see how if it works with an '09 properly.

• 2 weeks later...
dont u have a button for that?

i have TCS on and off button

I have a 09 IS250 and when i turn off TC i can do line lock burnouts all day and when i flick around corners the wheels still spin, the only thing that happens is the orange traction light lights up. And i loose some rubber on my tyres. :lol:

• 2 months later...

- Engage the foot brake

- Release the foot brake

- Hold foot on brake

- Engage foot brake

- Press brake twice

Ladies And Gentlemen.

I have an 05 prestige and i had the problem of traction control not being turned off completely by pressing the button.

So i began using this method above and it worked.... ive used it 3, 4 maybe 5 times im not sure. BUT

Today i pressed my TC button expecting it to only partially turn off. . . . BUT it was OFF OFF!!! very wierd but very fun having a button on hand to turn it off completly so easily.

After reading all that i have read about traction control i havent heard anything like this anywhere.

- Engage the foot brake

- Release the foot brake

- Hold foot on brake

- Engage foot brake

- Press brake twice

Ladies And Gentlemen.

I have an 05 prestige and i had the problem of traction control not being turned off completely by pressing the button.

So i began using this method above and it worked.... ive used it 3, 4 maybe 5 times im not sure. BUT

Today i pressed my TC button expecting it to only partially turn off. . . . BUT it was OFF OFF!!! very wierd but very fun having a button on hand to turn it off completly so easily.

After reading all that i have read about traction control i havent heard anything like this anywhere.

Might have to clear up something for you. Without the special method, pressing the TC OFF button, swtiches off TC completely indeed. You can chuck a massive burnout if you want to etc. (not that I tried), however once you start going a little sideways, it will switch back on. Try it, you'll see it will rain on your parade half way through a skid :)

That pedal dance method is the only way to fully disable it.

- Engage the foot brake

- Release the foot brake

- Hold foot on brake

- Engage foot brake

- Press brake twice

Ladies And Gentlemen.

Might have to clear up something for you. Without the special method, pressing the TC OFF button, swtiches off TC completely indeed. You can chuck a massive burnout if you want to etc. (not that I tried), however once you start going a little sideways, it will switch back on. Try it, you'll see it will rain on your parade half way through a skid :)

That pedal dance method is the only way to fully disable it.

I SEEEEEE!!! i didnt get a chance to chuck it side ways anywhere suitable when i thought i made a revolution the other day lol :blink: haha.

• 1 month later...

On later models this "Pedal dance" isn't necessary. Its built into the TCS button.

Pressing the TCS button turns of the TCS which as previously mentioned only allows the wheels spin provided there is no sideways action.

However (on later models) pressing the TCS button & holding it for at least 5 seconds not only turns off the TCS but also the VSC.

Sideways action when you're ready.

Oh and by the way, hello everyone. My name is Dis-lex-sic and I'm a Lexaholic.

On later models this "Pedal dance" isn't necessary. Its built into the TCS button.

Pressing the TCS button turns of the TCS which as previously mentioned only allows the wheels spin provided there is no sideways action.

However (on later models) pressing the TCS button & holding it for at least 5 seconds not only turns off the TCS but also the VSC.

Sideways action when you're ready.

Oh and by the way, hello everyone. My name is Dis-lex-sic and I'm a Lexaholic.

welcome to the lexaholic group everything will be ok now you here. haha.

mate do you know if this programming can be adapted to earlier models.

• 2 years later...