Just curious as to how often you guys wash your cars. Also how are you washing your cars and what products are you using?

Generally weekly for the wash. Mainly using Meguiars stuff.

I don't like the look of a dirty car, and black looks great when clean, but looks dirty easily.

Have my own water tank so every few weeks I give it a proper wash n wax (with a clean terry towelling cloth only) and then a chamois. But in the meantime, if its a bit dusty, I use the waterless spray (Meguiars) which is excellent, particularly for dark duco. It takes a bit longer to do, but worthwhile. Also handy to quickly get rid of those evils - bird crap and tree sap and insect gunk.

No point using the waterless spray though if the car is dirty with actual dirt and grit. Good ol' water is the only thing for that!

Have my own water tank so every few weeks I give it a proper wash n wax (with a clean terry towelling cloth only) and then a chamois. But in the meantime, if its a bit dusty, I use the waterless spray (Meguiars) which is excellent, particularly for dark duco. It takes a bit longer to do, but worthwhile. Also handy to quickly get rid of those evils - bird crap and tree sap and insect gunk.

No point using the waterless spray though if the car is dirty with actual dirt and grit. Good ol' water is the only thing for that!

thanks for the replies guys.

looks like we're all using the same method, and products :-)

I used soapy water then armor all chamois, then some product call turtle Ice liquid claybar and ICE liquid polish, with a microfibre cloth. It came up nicely - even got the calcium carbonate water stains from when my reticulation water got on my car.

Car is silver.

Much easier to keep clean compared to my old tanzanite blue/black mercedes

I used soapy water then armor all chamois, then some product call turtle Ice liquid claybar and ICE liquid polish, with a microfibre cloth. It came up nicely - even got the calcium carbonate water stains from when my reticulation water got on my car.

Car is silver.

that turtle ice stuff is good? i've seen it but haven't met anyone whos used it. would you recommend it?

every week.

that used to be me but i've grown lazy. i tend to only wash my car when i see a shiny black is250 like mine drive by then i get motivated to wash so i can have a shiny car like them! :-)

chatswood offer free car wash for life of car but i'm in silverwater and can't be bothered driving up there for a car wash!

wish i was as keen as you, ilv1004s

After washing my black Is200 weekly, on my Is250 I am down to once every other week, I have found that I can see little scratches even though I am using micro fiber cloth and a good chamois to dry, black looks good but it's annoying when you notice all the little things :>

I am using a wash that came with my paint protection kit from these guys: http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au

I usually find waxing is a lot of work and takes hours so I thought I would try the paint protection and their products, so far it seems to be working well.

Car is silver.

that turtle ice stuff is good? i've seen it but haven't met anyone whos used it. would you recommend it?

I found it was the only product that got sunburnt reticulation calcium spots off my black/blue merc. That plus homebrand vinegar. The wax also claims you can do it in sunlight. I still do it in shade however...seems to get a good finish. I've only used it twice on the new lexus which is silver - finish still looks like a mirror.

Car is silver.

I found it was the only product that got sunburnt reticulation calcium spots off my black/blue merc. That plus homebrand vinegar. The wax also claims you can do it in sunlight. I still do it in shade however...seems to get a good finish. I've only used it twice on the new lexus which is silver - finish still looks like a mirror.

sounds good enough to me!

Someone here was talking about micro-fibre cloths still scratching the surface. True - if you dont regularly wash them. Make sure you wash the microfibre cloth (just as if it were an ordinary laundry item) every few wipes.

They may still look clean and feel clean after use, but over time they can become like 'emery paper' by trapping those miniture particles and finely scratch the surface.

Someone here was talking about micro-fibre cloths still scratching the surface. True - if you dont regularly wash them. Make sure you wash the microfibre cloth (just as if it were an ordinary laundry item) every few wipes.

They may still look clean and feel clean after use, but over time they can become like 'emery paper' by trapping those miniture particles and finely scratch the surface.

thanks for the tip.

me personally i only wash my car about once a month as i'm lazy and i have found that it has very little swirling for a car of its age. i guess it makes sense due the less frequent amount of material rubbing against the paint.

i'm overdue for a polish and wax, anybody know any good & reasonably priced places?

I too wash my car once a month due to time and weather. I got really gently on my washes as to avoid any damages.

I have those dirt specs on the bumpers especially rear that i seem to cannot clean. but due to them being plastic, i don't think it'll do much harm. Might get it cut and polished went o do go and see the car.