Am I the only one experiencing this?

The exhaust smells like eggs / sulfur when its being driven, occasionally i get a whiff of it when the windows open.

If the car is revved harder it smells worse!

I notice it all the time when i park and jump out of the car.

Lexus said to change to a different brand fuel but i haven't really noticed a difference! :unsure:

OOOPS DOUBLE POST!

Hey Niick,

How many K's have U done?? Surely the cat would be fine with the age of our cars!

I just did a quick "google", as you do, and most of the guys were talking about the engine running rich. (Oxygen sensor)!. But hey, surely you would notice a rough idle or some change in engine behaviour!

Mate, gotta say, I have never smelt it with my car and I would put it forward to Lexus that no one else in our forum has the prob! (That is if im not speaking too early)!!!

2007 Model with about 18,000km on it.

It seemed to improve after the 15,000km service but it is still noticeable now and then.

I will probably take the car to them when time permits and see what they can do :)

It seemed to improve after the 15,000km service but it is still noticeable now and then.

I will probably take the car to them when time permits and see what they can do :)

I also have a feeling it is cat related. Maybe you get the smell when the cat is still cold/ish, does it smell after extended driving?

I've never had the smell but do use premium unleaded, not sure if that makes a difference or not. :blink:

I also have a feeling it is cat related. Maybe you get the smell when the cat is still cold/ish, does it smell after extended driving?

I've never had the smell but do use premium unleaded, not sure if that makes a difference or not. :blink:

I only get that smell if i really flog the car when its not warm on short trips to the videoshop.

I use BP 98 octane...and get the same smell on my merc when I thrash that too if it isnt warmed up

Your Cat is stuffed. Same thing happened to me on a new Mazda I had 15 years ago. Dealer replaced the cat under warranty and the smell disappeared completely.

Take it back to your dealer and ask them to change the cat.

I've got the rotten egg smell when using the air con and upon hard acceleration. Are you sure it's not coming from the vents?

I've got the rotten egg smell when using the air con and upon hard acceleration. Are you sure it's not coming from the vents?

Hi ldc,

I think yours is a different issue. Its well known that the internal air vent filter can get mouldy if you dont run the fan for "X" amount of time after switching the air-con off. You might want to get the filter changed!!

CASE CLOSED - The issue is related to the catalytic convertor assembly in 2005, 2006 and some early 2007 IS250s only. All vehicles will give some sulphur smell (H2S), but in these vehicles (such as mine) it is excessive. If the cabin is sealed (no sunroof or windows open) you will barely notice it, but if they are open, and 10-30secs following a hard acceleration, the H2S smell is very strong.

A Technical Service Information Bulletin was raised (EG017-06) by Lexus USA, and I have spoken to my dealer about it a couple of times (as have other customers apparently), but Lexus Australia are not doing anything about it (ie. they wont), and dealers are frustrated that 'Head Office' wont help out.

A new pipe and exhaust assembly (I even have the replacement part number (17410-31710)) is required, but Lexus Australia currently do not accept this as a legitimate warranty repair, yet their largest market by far, the USA has since August 1, 2006 - work that out!

Other issues mentioned by owners on this post here - Im assuming just relate to general operation of the car, and I wouldnt get too concerned about it. Vehicles with a twin exahust system (dont ask me why?!) tend to have stronger, more noticeable H2S emissions.

I do occasionally get this 'rotten egg" smell as well.

Read on the US forums which points out to the type of 'fuel' used - To me it's more the Catalytic Converter.

Usually occurs after hard acceleration I notice - sometimes it stinks, sometimes nothing. My car has only done 8000km

• 3 weeks later...

gave the car a bit of a thrashing on the new eastlink freeway here in melbourne friday afternoon, i got home and it was like a million rotten eggs fell out of the exhaust. smells sooo soo bad. im gona hassle lexus again see what they can do.

gave the car a bit of a thrashing on the new eastlink freeway here in melbourne friday afternoon, i got home and it was like a million rotten eggs fell out of the exhaust. smells sooo soo bad. im gona hassle lexus again see what they can do.

Hey Niick, so does the smell actually come out of the exhaust pipes at the tail end?? or does it emit from the engine bay??

On hard acceleration mine seems to somehow find it's way through the vents.

Mine was pretty bad until it had its first service, but that was a month or so ago, and now under hard driving the smell is back. :( Really does reek, at first I thought it was the brakes but I agree, there's got to be a solution for this! Is it related to the catalytic converters?