Hey Jomster,

Look, with the guy that came out for my wheels, all he used was a small air grinder / polisher. The disk was forward facing and he only leveled out the gutter rash to its deepest point and for the length of the rash. Generally, the rash ain't going to be deeper then a mm..............unless you really stuffed up big, so I can't really imagine that you are going to get weakening, but I guess that there might be people that go ballistic with the grinder!!!!!

Also, this dude did have the facility to spin the wheels like a lathe if required, but I guess with my wheels, he was able to free style just fine!

Obviously my wheels were polished so no probs...............with painted wheels, they probably would only smooth out the area and then fill with an epoxy resin.

Perhaps your guy was talking about cracked rims that have been welded?!?!?! maybe...................!

Hey ProjectIS,

It was for a family friends Camry alloy which had deep rashes. There was no welding involved but just a lathe and fill in. Even with the resin, he mentioned you should also get your wheels balanced again as this could throw off your existing weights. I guess my point was what the guy analysis was and he showed that he valued his customers.

I guess with the price involved to fix compared to getting aftermarkets were outweighed. We ended up getting a whole wheel and tyre package instead.

ProjectIS,

I gave him a call a couple of days ago - nice guy. I explained what had happened. He didnt see any issues getting it back to near perfect but is booked up to Christmas. Im away early Jan so we agreed Id give him a call mid Jan to book him.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

• 1 year later...

Hey ProjectIS,

Can you please PM me your RIM repair guy's details? :) Does he come to your house? How much does he charge, I just managed to damage my X style rim hoping to get it fixed :> thanks.

Hey ProjectIS,

Can you please PM me your RIM repair guy's details? :) Does he come to your house? How much does he charge, I just managed to damage my X style rim hoping to get it fixed :> thanks.

PM sent !!!

Quick question guy, Someone told me the X alloy is shadow crome and I should not get one of the mobile guys to repair it. The guys that do proper alloy repairs want 360 per rim to repair. What do you guy's think?

Has anyone got a IS250 X type wheel repaired before by one of the mobile guys?

Quick question guy, Someone told me the X alloy is shadow crome and I should not get one of the mobile guys to repair it. The guys that do proper alloy repairs want 360 per rim to repair. What do you guy's think?

Has anyone got a IS250 X type wheel repaired before by one of the mobile guys?

FWIW, one of the guys here with a LS460 had a major scrape repaired and it looks perfect

I recal it wasn't cheap though, I think it was around the $160 mark from memory

Try BOB jane T marts on the corner of parramatta road and woodville road Parramatta they charged me aroung $125 . leave the car there they take the tyre of and send it out to get repaired . I could not tell the difference from the undamaged ones to the one that was guttered.

OK guy's I got John out and he fixed the rim for 160. Looks like new, can't see where he did the repair. Awesome Job!

Thanks everyone for your help.