I've got a question about the cooling seats I have in my 2008 IS Prestige. It doesn't seem like they cool at all.

We have had some hot days here in the last couple days and I've been turning my seat to cool on number 3. There seems to be a very minor breeze coming from the cushion but nothing from the backrest. I don't feel cool at all.

Is this normal?

Should there be more of a breeze coming from the seats?

Correct - only cooling from the base of the seat and not terribly strong. There is a ventilation fan in the base of the seat (listen closely - youll hear it purring ever so quietly - its also the primary reason for lack of foot room for rear passengers beneath front seats).

Also so depends on the thickness of your clothing. Wearing jeans or thick slacks, you are barely going to feel anything, but with thinner material you will feel something.

Technically the cooling aspect of the seats is known as 'ventiliated seats' whilst the heating in the bottom and back is via electrical filaments.

In all honesty, I think this feature on the car is probably its most gimmicky feature, and I dont think Id miss it. On the other hand, the seat heating is fantastic.

Thanks guys for the explanation. I thought they were not functioning probably. I suppose I was expecting the cooling to work as well as the heating.

Think yourselves lucky that you have the cooling seats at all and even holes where the leather can breathe. One of the major things that I am disappointed with the X is that it doesn't have anything, just flat smooth leather with no air holes; the past few days have been hell. Even on a mild day and if I am in the car for a while my back will sweat with the air con on, not very comfortable.

This is a must when I upgrade in a few years.

I don't really like soft leather. I notice in BMW E46s i think they don't have holes yet they have cooling/heating seats too. This is more preferred than the IS's

I've got '08 as well and the cooling in the seat works fine. The back rest also has air coming out of the holes.

You need to set the air vents to the foot wells as the seats take in air from there. You might need to up the fan speed on the console.

The seats and the air vents are dependent of each other.

The backrests on my 08 model also have air coming out. On a hot day I can definetly feel the difference. Without the cooling function on ill start sweating. With them on it cools enough to stop sweating but it still feels warm.

My brother has the e46 m3 and I dont think it has cooled seats, only warmers.

Like I said earlier, you need to up the fan speed from the console also as they are rely on each other. You also have to have air selected to the foot wells at least (Arrow pointing down). I was told this when I took delivery of the car by the dealer.

I found that if your wearing cotton shirts etc, you can actually feel it through your back. However if your wearing 'non breathable" type material then you may or may not feel the cool air.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Have heard what has been said, but still cant get cooling on the back rest portion of my is250 2007 SL. Works for the seat, but even with foot AC on, backrest doesnt supply any cool air.

Any further options for me????

I find that the cooling works on all settings in my car. Both on the seat and back. The hotter the day, the longer the drive and more 'breathable' the clothing you're wearing - the better you'll appreciate it.

I don't usually use the function, but put it on last Saturday. For the first 5 minuites or so, I didn't even think it was working. Then slowly, slowly it becomes more evident. Then at one point, I had to turn it down from the "3" setting to "2" because it was becoming anyonying. - All this with the vents pointed at head level, not foot!