Paint Correction - Salt Water Etching

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this forum - thought I'd share the below with you ...

I own a black IS250 sports luxury which I bought 9 months ago. I bought the car 1 year old second hand from a private owner for a very decent price. The car looked perfect and I had it checked by several ppl including the NRMA before buying (wondering to myself why it was selling so cheap). Things seemed too good.

Three months in, I started to notice water marks which I couldn't remove. It turned out to be salt water which etched into the paint. The guy I bought it from used a paint filler to cover up - the more you washed the more the paint filler was removed hence showing the flaws.

Taking it to a few places including the Lexus dealership most adviced me to get it re-sprayed. The only person who offered assistance was the PolishDoc (member in this forum) - however being in Sydney and he in Melbourne I wanted to check locally first.

I came across a guy Peter 'Dr Buff' who helped me out. 22 hours of work went in. The results were amazing and totally exceeded my expectations!

Before and after shots below.

Before shot 1:

post-2942-1234343950_thumb.jpg

Before shot 2:

post-2942-1234344034_thumb.jpg

Before (left) / After (right):

post-2942-1234344056_thumb.jpg

Before (top) / After (bottom):

post-2942-1234344081_thumb.jpg

Dr Buff at work:

post-2942-1234344114_thumb.jpg

After shot 1:

post-2942-1234344126_thumb.jpg

After shot 2:

post-2942-1234344137_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend Peter. You can check him out at http://www.paintcorrections.com/

He has included a write up of the work he did on my car under ''Customer Cars'

Fantastic finish. Black looks amazing when cleaned properly. I bet your glad you spent the money for a quality job.

I recently had a drivers door paint chip "corrected" by a chip repair mob. All looked OK initially, until I got some sun shining off the repair area in the late afternoon. All I could then see were a mass of swirls across the entire drivers door and half the rear door, where he had to blend the paint and clear coat.

I decided to try correcting it myself with a random orbit polisher, some compounds and some elbow grease.

Here are some photos to show the initial damage and the final result. I was so happy with the doors I ran over the whole car and removed almost all swirl marks.

Baby shines again, especially after the wax was applied :P

Before

post-1882-1234351170_thumb.jpg

After swirl removal, no wax

post-1882-1234351191_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1234351219_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Sounds like you got a great deal on the car for a quick fix of the initial problem.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost for the finished product?

Hi there Franky,

The total cost was $1890 for just under 3 days of work. However much much cheaper than a full respray!

Fantastic finish. Black looks amazing when cleaned properly. I bet your glad you spent the money for a quality job.

I recently had a drivers door paint chip "corrected" by a chip repair mob. All looked OK initially, until I got some sun shining off the repair area in the late afternoon. All I could then see were a mass of swirls across the entire drivers door and half the rear door, where he had to blend the paint and clear coat.

I decided to try correcting it myself with a random orbit polisher, some compounds and some elbow grease.

Here are some photos to show the initial damage and the final result. I was so happy with the doors I ran over the whole car and removed almost all swirl marks.

Baby shines again, especially after the wax was applied :P

Before

Wow - you've done an impressive job yourself!

I couldn't agree more - black looks amazing .. but only when clean and a nice paint finish!! Swirl marks, acid rain, paint etchings are so obvious though on black paint and are highlighted so easily. Whenever I clean the car now, I view it in both strong natural light (which really does show any signs of swirl and spider marks) as well as flourescent light (which highlights water marks / etchings).

In hindsight I probably would have bought the charcoal colour IS250 as I spend so much time trying to keep it clean.